Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #1

maintenance

I have tiffin allegro 30 foot gas MH. When at cc for mo. or longer it recomments starting engine and letting it run for awhile and starting generator and letting it run for about hour under a load. The question I have is I'm thinking on buying a DP. What do I do for it (engine & generator) while setting in cc. Also what about getting it greased and oiled and check out for the road and how often should it be done compared to gas rig and where or by whom. Important question for deciding which rig to get.
jastinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jastinjr View Post
I have tiffin allegro 30 foot gas MH. When at cc for mo. or longer it recomments starting engine and letting it run for awhile and starting generator and letting it run for about hour under a load. The question I have is I'm thinking on buying a DP. What do I do for it (engine & generator) while setting in cc. Also what about getting it greased and oiled and check out for the road and how often should it be done compared to gas rig and where or by whom. Important question for deciding which rig to get.
Starting and running a diesel engine is not recommended unless you drive it for at least thirty minutes to get everything up to temperature. Just idling will not bring all of the fluids up to temp. It doesn't hurt to just let it sit, but fill the tank and put a diesel stabilizer in it if sitting for a long period. The generator definitely needs to be run for at least an hour per month under load per manufacturer's recommendations. As for service, most Cummins engines recommend one year or 15,000 miles. Yes it costs more than a gas engine but you don't have to service as often. The big difference is most gas engines hold 6-8 quarts of oil where the ISL in our coach holds 26 quarts. A lot of the truck service places such as Speedco can do oil, filter change and lube.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel will be about 3 times the cost for maintenance than gas. Once a year for most items. Every three years for air dryer and air cleaner. Every 5000 miles for drive shaft. Some Car motors need the water pump greased. Some larger have wet hubs that need serviced.

LEN
Old 06-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Diesel will be about 3 times the cost for maintenance than gas. Once a year for most items. Every three years for air dryer and air cleaner. Every 5000 miles for drive shaft. Some Car motors need the water pump greased. Some larger have wet hubs that need serviced.

LEN
Hi Len. I have been under the hood of a car for most of my life and have never heard of a water pump in a vehicle newer than a 34 plymouth needing to be greased. On the other hand I am not familiar wet hubs. I assume you mean wheel hubs with an oil reservoir. Does an F 53 have wet hubs?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I cannot see any inherently good reason for starting either the gas engine or the diesel, but for the diesel its almost a negative. Some gas chassis coaches don't charge the engine (chassis) battery except from the engine alternator, so those do need to run once in awhile to keep the battery up. Otherwise, I'd leave that off as well.

Gensets, on the other hand, like exercise to keep the electronics and electrical wiring dried out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can't drive the rig and get temperatures up to normal and hold them there for period of time then leave it be, both gas and diesel. If you can't load the generator to about 50% of it's electrical capacity then leave it be.

Schedule maintenance will be set by the chassis, engine and transmission manufacture. Some items will be only time based, some mileage and some whichever occurs first mileage or time. If you can't make a maintenance due do so as soon as practical. Other than cost, can't think of a downside to performing a maintenance action early if you suspect you won't be in a position to make the approaching due date.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #7

wow, it does not hurt an engine via diesel or gas if you start it for some reason even regularly, heck if you have to drive it for thirty minutes thinking the internet said so then you just put all the wear and tear on the oil, drive train, used fuel ,polluted air and made the neighbor think you don't know what you are doing.... now if you did it 3 times every day and in the winte let it run for 30 seconds,r maybe you get oh 4000 less miles, eh? just do regular maintenance and good to go... and it is not 3 times more cost for diesel to maintain, but you do go a lot farther between them.. seems like this comes up all time and those answers are thrown all over then theres the other side...

Tags
maintenance