Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2020, 05:53 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Just know that once you get to the campsite a gasser is just as comfortable as a DP.
Maybe yes, maybe no. When we were looking, gassers appeared to have lighter weight items that were somewhat less comfortable than the DPs. You are also more likely to get a washer & dryer in a DP than a gasser, again a weight thing. While there may be some gassers that are as comfortable as some DPs, on average, that was not our experience.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #16

Over the last 6 years, I have spent an average of $2,682.54 per year. I keep a spreadsheet of all motorhome cost that includes things like 6 batteries, residential refrigerator, 6 tires, one breakdown including the towing and repairs, waxes, storage , upgrades and all maintenance according to Freightliner specifications.

It does not include fuel, and insurance. I perform all of the labor so far.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
If you are trying to get into a DP on a budget, my advice is don't. A mid 2000 DP will start to require some engine work beyond routine maintenance. If you intend to do the routine stuff yourself you will save a bunch, if not plan on $1500-$3000 annually for lube, oil change, tranny oil change, gen oil change, coolant change on both engine and generator, front axle oil change, differential oil change, air filter for both gen and engine, 2 fuel filters for engine and one for generator, hydraulic filters and a few other things I can't think of right now. Not all above need annual attention but you get the idea.

There is nothing like the ride and stability of a DP but you will pay for that. Just know that once you get to the campsite a gasser is just as comfortable as a DP.
Thanks for the advice. I can do all the regular Maintenance myself. Just worried about the big stuff. But I guess that can even happen on my newer truck with 51000 miles on it too!
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
My point of reference is from 40 years of heavy equipment ownership. I find many of the maintenance discussions boarder on the absurd... recent air filter every year comes to mind. Another is a oil change every year regardless of miles... I’d be happy to recycle their 3,000 mile DP oil into one of my machines. Oil sampling is probably the best money saving option... $25 well spent.

Two years ago I bought a 08 Navigator with 41K miles... oil had just been changed so doing a oil sample would be of little use. Fortunately the recent mileage was marked on the filters so with 52K miles I’ll probably have a SpeedCo change the engine oil on the way home for around $300 with a oil sample. Not convenient to back the MH into my shop at home and still $200 if I do it myself... I’ve gotten lazy.
Your mileage and comfort level may vary.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #19

We have a 2000 american eagle and as a retired mechanic I do most of my own mainance and in coach repairs, but do use oitside repair shops for heavy work, would say that 2500 a year figure is pretty close to what I have paid so far in the two years weve owned our coach. FYI if you have a rural king near you they have real good pricing on oils and filters and other misc parts, got a sale on now on shell diesl oil and rebates from shell as well, bought 7.5 gallons of rotella oil for 85 bucks and with the 30 in rebates came to 55 bucks, the
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance