Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

Maintenance Cost??

We are looking to jump into the Class A DP life! But trying to cross all our T's and dots the I's!
We are looking at units in the Mid 2000 year that is what I think we can afford!
I called a Diesel truck center yesterday about some cost on things and it was adding up to about $3000. I can do a lot of maintenance stuff my self.
But what are your cost on maintenance and how often do you do it? (We usually only go on a couple of long trips a year and camp local once a month)
I am wanting to try to purchase one with new / newer tires (I'll check receipts and dates on tires)
Also newer batteries!
What other things do I need to look for? And the cost?
We are planning on driving it to FL from Southern IL 2 times this year and to Gatlinburg TN. This year.
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I just had my 15,000 mile maintenance done and it was right at $1,500. This was at a Freightliner dealer/service center.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1 View Post
We are looking to jump into the Class A DP life! But trying to cross all our T's and dots the I's!

We are looking at units in the Mid 2000 year that is what I think we can afford!

I called a Diesel truck center yesterday about some cost on things and it was adding up to about $3000. I can do a lot of maintenance stuff my self.

But what are your cost on maintenance and how often do you do it? (We usually only go on a couple of long trips a year and camp local once a month)

I am wanting to try to purchase one with new / newer tires (I'll check receipts and dates on tires)

Also newer batteries!

We are planning on driving it to FL from Southern IL 2 times this year and to Gatlinburg TN. This year.

$3000 donít stop step on it!
Old 03-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
$3000 donít stop step on it!
How do you like your Fleetwood? Looking at those too!
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wright1

We have a 09 Journey. You access engine components by lifting the bed in the rear bedroom and opening a 3ft square opening by removing two floor panels and then diving down. Likewise, you get under the coach to access components accessible from below. They are not easy to work on and even an for an oil change, you will have to capture several gallons of oil. While I would love to do more, most isn't practicable. Good luck and have a good look at engine access if DIY is essential to your purchase. Good luck, you will enjoy the diesel.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
How do you like your Fleetwood? Looking at those too!
I like my Revolution very much.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #7

I don't know what the $3,000 was for. But in general, if you can and want to perform your own maintenance, it will save a bunch. Based on the few times I have priced a truck shop doing something, I usually save at least 1/2 of the cost doing it myself.

However, there is a up front cost in tools. Things like oil drain pan large enough to hold the 5 gallons of old stinking oil, grease gun, jacks, tarps etc. etc. Going to remove tires? The tools like torque wrench, impact wrench, can be expensive.

I'm a septuagenarian and I still enjoy performing almost all of my bumper to bumper maintenance on my cars, trucks, tractors, and RV's.

BTW, I love our diesel pusher, and I wouldn't have anything else. I've been driving them for the last 20 years.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #8

You didnt say what you wanted done so the 3k is subjective.

I had an M2 completed on a Liberty chassis for $1,600. That was trans filter and fluid new fluid in the rear end along with engine oil, filter fuel filter, chassis inspection and lube... and on..

As far as service I would take it to an authorized repair facility for the chassis make.

You want an annual inspection, they should know if part X is wearing out. The tech can adjust the brakes properly.

Other than that a handy person can fix loads.
Quote:
Also newer batteries!
Old 03-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
You didnt say what you wanted done so the 3k is subjective.

I had an M2 completed on a Liberty chassis for $1,600. That was trans filter and fluid new fluid in the rear end along with engine oil, filter fuel filter, chassis inspection and lube... and on..

As far as service I would take it to an authorized repair facility for the chassis make.

You want an annual inspection, they should know if part X is wearing out. The tech can adjust the brakes properly.

Other than that a handy person can fix loads.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

I would budget $2000 per year for periodic maintenance. I have a spreadsheet for the required maintenance on our Freightliner chassis. If you send me your email address, I will email it to you. You are looking at items like:

Air dryer filter
Coolant
Belts
Engine oil and filters
Fuel filters
Change air cleaner
Lube exhaust brake
Valve lash adjustment
Transmission fluid
Generator maintenance
Replace oil in oil filled hubs

Depending on how old the coach is, you might have things like replacing the fan hub bearings, replacing hoses.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
The ongoing maintenance is not that bad. Whatís the killer is bringing it up to speed. Every RV that is sold is sold for a reason. Many have not been used much and thus not maintained, some for many years. Take a cooling system; a radiator and charge air cooler will set you back thousands. Stuff like that is vulnerable in a fifteen year old unit. Best advice I got is have a high limit credit card in your wallet when owning one of these. I am used to doing maintenance because I have owned boats in salt water for thirty years. Still, there are some things that are impractical for most owners to do.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:39 AM   #12

For budgeting purposes I have a "pot" of money set aside of $3,600 per year. I set this aside in an account that I do not use regularly and will draw from it when needed. If I do not use it all up then I add another $3,600 and will continue to let it build up. Eventually I will have a repair that may cost more than the $3,600 and at least I have budgeted for it and have the money set aside. I did the same thing with my RV payments, put aside 18 payments and soon will add another 6, meaning I will not have to worry about payments for nearly two years. I have the payments from that account set on "recurring" so it is automatic. Seems to just make life easier.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #13

I take ours to a CAT dealer for PM service.
They go through a long list of items. The engine, trans and gen get serviced. Usually runs about $600.00. I get it done annually or 6K miles. A friend took his to the Freightliner dealer-cost was over $1400.00
You need to shop around for service providers.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:32 AM   #14

If you are trying to get into a DP on a budget, my advice is don't. A mid 2000 DP will start to require some engine work beyond routine maintenance. If you intend to do the routine stuff yourself you will save a bunch, if not plan on $1500-$3000 annually for lube, oil change, tranny oil change, gen oil change, coolant change on both engine and generator, front axle oil change, differential oil change, air filter for both gen and engine, 2 fuel filters for engine and one for generator, hydraulic filters and a few other things I can't think of right now. Not all above need annual attention but you get the idea.

There is nothing like the ride and stability of a DP but you will pay for that. Just know that once you get to the campsite a gasser is just as comfortable as a DP.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance