Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Diesel is about capability - the ability to haul much more weight. If you NEED to haul lots of weight (either in the coach or behind it) then you have one option. Beyond that it is just a matter of preference - certainly not an apples to apples comparison. That capability requires heavier/stronger components which cost more to manufacturer and maintain.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Some similar some not similar

Oil change in gas is $50-$100 vs $200-$300+ in a DP

Other wearable items like tires, fuel, etc will all be similar between the two.

Unscheduled repairs that are engine related are more in a DP

For me the increase in yearly service isn't the issue or the possibility of diesel fuel costing more depending on where I am..... It's the unscheduled maintenance and other major engine repairs that have me concerned with the DP. I am still going to get one...

Yes, but gas oil changes is done more often than diesel, gas average 5k miles, diesel 10k
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I suggest you forget about what fuel you put in it.

Concentrate on what kind of amenities you want. How much room do you want? Do you want to tow more than 5k? Would you like unlimited hot water and hot water heat. How much stuff do you carry. Do you want the stability of a tag axle? 3 heat pumps? Do you want the engine between you and your SO? Want the generator up front? The comfort of air suspension? How about the convenience of air leveling?

When you find a MH with the amenities you want it will have an engine that does what you want. Fuel and scheduled maintenance costs are not the reason to pick a MH.

IMHO
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #32

I think that you buy the tool that gets the job done. The rest of the stuff doesn’t matter.

In my career, I found it easier to learn what the boss wanted and then spin the numbers to come out right. Unless of course the boss had gone completely around the bend.

Now two costs that you should toss into your spread sheet are the cost of insuring your two choices and the cost of licensing them. As we learn with fuel prices, these costs are location dependent.

The other cost that you should look at is the cost of money. For example, if the GP (gas puller) cost $50K less than the DP you would buy, assuming your mutual fund company could earn you 4%/year, the cost of gas was $3/gal and your got the magical amount of 8 mi/gal, you could drive 5,333 miles/year FREE. (Of course I could be lying. So, do your own figuring.)

5,333 miles/year is more than the average MH is driven in a year.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Yes, but gas oil changes is done more often than diesel, gas average 5k miles, diesel 10k
True however it also depends on how much we drive the coaches. The 5K or 10K is possibly true however there is also the once a year rule that some follow no matter how many miles the coach is used.

Which is probably partially why many claim if you travel over 5k miles yearly the DP is a better option.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
I've crunched numbers for usage and distance for the Class A I want (currently own a Class C and 5ver). Seems like many think a diesel will cost more to maintain vs. a gasser. I think a diesel might be overkill for my needs. Still, I'm wondering what the costs might be monthly or yearly?

Since justifying the costs of running an RV seems pointless, I think justifying buying a gasser because it'll be cheaper for my needs, also seems pointless.

Maybe a DP is just quieter and the ride more comfortable regardless of how much it's driven and that might be the reason some buy a DP.

I'm not wanting to throw money at a DP, so, does anyone really know how much more it'll cost for a diesel?
I just changed the engine oil in my 8.9 liter Cummins. Cummins filter cost $36 and 6.5 gallons of Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil was $84. No cost for chassis lube and oil change labor as I do the work myself. A little more cost than a gasser, but worth it.

I do this work once a year regardless of miles driven.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Well Computerguy must have an out dated computer because diesel fuel is about a dollar less per gallon then regular gasoline. LOL!!
In Alaska, Diesel Fuel is a nickel or more per gallon than regular gas.
DonKofAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:57 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
I've crunched numbers for usage and distance for the Class A I want (currently own a Class C and 5ver). Seems like many think a diesel will cost more to maintain vs. a gasser. I think a diesel might be overkill for my needs. Still, I'm wondering what the costs might be monthly or yearly?

Since justifying the costs of running an RV seems pointless, I think justifying buying a gasser because it'll be cheaper for my needs, also seems pointless.

Maybe a DP is just quieter and the ride more comfortable regardless of how much it's driven and that might be the reason some buy a DP.

I'm not wanting to throw money at a DP, so, does anyone really know how much more it'll cost for a diesel?

Going by your opening post and the feel of it I think gas is for you. I had the same questions with a similar feel to it. For me it wasn't the fuel or the routine maintenance it was the costs of repairs that scared me. Based on my travel needs and trips I would be taking over the next 3 yrs. before retiring a nice gas unit would fill the bill just fine. There are some nice ones out there.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-25-2016, 01:11 AM   #37

Smile Gas Vs Diesel

I've seen a lot of ambiguous discussions of the reasons to favor one drivetrain over the other. Here's some food for thought.

Gas engines are maintained by mechanics who are relatively common, even in remote places.

Gas engines require relatively frequent but inexpensive maintenance work and parts changes.

Diesel engines are maintained or repaired by mechanics who are uncommon and not often nearby when you need one (suggestion, get insurance to tow your rig to a mechanic AND provide a car rental and perhaps a hotel room).

Diesel engines require an annual change of a lot of oil, seldom anything else except filter changes every couple years. You can do this yourself.
Diesels seldom break and they last a long, long time. When they break, it is expensive. This suggests a diesel less than ten years old needs only oil and some air filter changes.

Diesels drive uphill and downhill better than gas engines. Uphill, they are much much quieter.

I'm now favoring the purchase of a diesel pusher.
DonKofAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:50 AM   #38

My last three diesels needed virtually no unexpected maintenance.

My last three gassers went through plugs, wires, coils(not cheap), intercooler issues, turbo issues, head issues and the gassers gave poor performance (except one).
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Have always done my own maintenance schedule with gasser and DP's.
Not counting man hour costs, the parts costs are easily double. Ever try to dispose of 30 qts of crankcase oil, 3 gals of dif lube and 8 gals of coolant.
But then diesels do what gasser can't. jus sayn
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
...There is simply no argument that DP's are more expensive to maintain. .....
It's that kinda thinking that makes America great, keeps Capitalism alive, and allows the economy to trudge along!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
With our rig it's yearly or 25,000 miles according to Cummins. Last year we put less than 1,000 miles on the rig after the engine rebuild and with the DW's cancer it might be less this year.
I didn't bother with an oil change last year but will do an oil analysis later in the year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, diesel, gas