Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
The weight is taken by the tow double suction cup gizmos - no strain on the Onan exhaust - I was careful about that... But - yes, it worked great! Anything that can reduce noise and the fumes in the face is a great addition to the rig.!
Hmmm. I will need to try those suction cups. Did youhave any trouble with the suction cups losing suction? Between the dust in NM (and in general) and the uneveness of the paint i would be concerned about that. After trying some lesser suction cups (that came off!) i ended up just using 3m command adhesive hooks. They give lateral support, but dont carry the weight of the thing...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Hmmm. I will need to try those suction cups. Did youhave any trouble with the suction cups losing suction? Between the dust in NM (and in general) and the uneveness of the paint i would be concerned about that. After trying some lesser suction cups (that came off!) i ended up just using 3m command adhesive hooks. They give lateral support, but dont carry the weight of the thing...
They worked great on the glass and sidewall where they are shown in the photos. As with any suction cup, wipe the spot and the cups clean.

We didn't have any slippage or loss of suction for the 10 days we were there. Of course, I do check things around the rigs every couple of days anyhow...they would be on that list.

I did opt for the double suction cup device just in case one was to slip...

The 3m command is a good alternative - but would need to have some vertical support I would think...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #17

I will try the harbor freight suction cups - thanks! I made mine out of thin walled PVC, but the weight is still not inconsequential. I dont frequently use it, but when i do it is incredible how good a job it does keeping fumes away from the interior of the coach (and per the OP, it does reduce the sound quite a bit). Funny, after 7 or so years with it, i still get a kick out of taking a small piece of tissue, letting it get sucked into the air intake, and watching it “Pop” out the top of the stack. Small things i guess [emoji4].
Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #18

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
These are probably pricier than other suction cups but they work very well and might be a good alternative if you’re going to have a Genturi type exhaust stack connected for long periods of time. They are very well made. I use them only on my driver’s side windows and never on the paint.

https://gostikproducts.com/model-gostack/
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Hello Guys - I thought I would share one of my recent projects in making your RV generator a bit quieter. For the most part generators which have very respectable noise levels today, but there is always room for improvement. Here’s a quick article on making your generator a bit easier to live with.

Please click the link below for the article:

http://rotory.com/transit/noise/

Enjoy Mike

The Onan generators can't "idle down" like Honda (or other inverter generators) unless they have zero (0) load on them as the speed of rotation is what determines the frequency (60 Hz) output. Some commercial generators have an idle circuit that kicks in when there is no load on the generator, but due to the myriad of devices that use 12 VDC power all the time in an RV the load on the converter is never zero even if the batteries are fully charged.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Thanks for the reply - it appears as if you just had a mechanical problem perhaps fuel related or maybe even a filter.

These little generators are bullet-proof they use air cooling so there is no chance of over-heating. As long as the engine turns the air is forced through the engine.

Thanks

Thanks, perhaps it was specific to that Motorhome construction. Some had to bit w
ventilation panels on the outer generator door for appropriate cooling. I think a couple of Forest River units. Anyhow who installed that CB antenna? I was talking to a guy who described the exact install you have. What is your SWR?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan, quiet