Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #1

Making an Onan “Q” Generator Quieter - Mike Mas

Hello Guys - I thought I would share one of my recent projects in making your RV generator a bit quieter. For the most part generators which have very respectable noise levels today, but there is always room for improvement. Here’s a quick article on making your generator a bit easier to live with.

Please click the link below for the article:

http://rotory.com/transit/noise/

Enjoy Mike

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #2

The other thing you can do is make a gen-turi exhaust so that the bulk of the exhaust fumes and noise is routed up, over your MH.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
The other thing you can do is make a gen-turi exhaust so that the bulk of the exhaust fumes and noise is routed up, over your MH.

Thanks for the reply - is that exhaust sort of what I've seen on a Prevost bus where they have a stack that goes up to the roof?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seeing as how some have had trouble with these generators overheating and shutting down while running them on the road i hot weather, my concern would be making it too hot when running. What has been your experience?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Seeing as how some have had trouble with these generators overheating and shutting down while running them on the road i hot weather, my concern would be making it too hot when running. What has been your experience?

Thanks for the reply - it appears as if you just had a mechanical problem perhaps fuel related or maybe even a filter.

These little generators are bullet-proof they use air cooling so there is no chance of over-heating. As long as the engine turns the air is forced through the engine.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Thanks for the reply - is that exhaust sort of what I've seen on a Prevost bus where they have a stack that goes up to the roof?

Thanks
Here's a picture of what I made and used at the Albuquerque balloon fiesta this year. Fumes went above all the MHs and the sound went up the stack also. We used to be plagued with the diesel exhaust going under our DS slide and sneaking in. With the DIY gen-turi we could have the windows open...

The stacks are two 4' sections of 3" ABS, dry joined with an ABS coupling.
The wall brackets are Harbor Freight double suction handles, the metal tube is a 1-1/4" galvanized EMT 90 which is held on with a pin clip, that also hold the stock chrome exhaust tip when the gen-turi is packed away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.58.02 PM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	266703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 10.58.21 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	266704  

Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Here's a picture of what I made and used at the Albuquerque balloon fiesta this year. Fumes went above all the MHs and the sound went up the stack also. We used to be plagued with the diesel exhaust going under our DS slide and sneaking in. With the DIY gen-turi we could have the windows open...

The wall brackets are Harbor Freight double suction handles, the metal tube is a 1-1/4" galvanized EMT 90 which is held on with a pin clip, that also hold the stock chrome exhaust tip when the gen-turi is packed away.
Nice Venturi!
What did it cost you in material?
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:54 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
Nice Venturi!
On sale today at Amazon - $94.29

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-G...s%2C132&sr=8-3
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #9

Or get all the materials at any lowes or Home Depot for under $20
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:

Super nice set-up - At first site I was wondering how you stored it very cleaver idea - thanks for sharing!

Mike
Old 11-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
Nice Venturi!
It was $49 (not including tax and my Veteran discount at Home Depot).

I opted to build my own after reading how a few folks had the commercial unit break due to quality and strength issues.

Edit - oops, the length of each section is 5' as I cut a 3" X 10' in half, not 4'.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:

I was at the balloon fiesta also. 1800 or so rvs tucked into that field ... almost all ran generators, and the vast majority did not have genturies. One or two nights got a little too thick with exhaust fumes.

One person across from me had a great idea: he had bought a commercial genturi, but used a little scissor jack underneath the metal at the bottom to support the weight of the thing (instead of allowing the exhaust pipe from the genny taking the load). I thought that is an excellent idea, which i will copy!
Old 11-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Hello Guys - I thought I would share one of my recent projects in making your RV generator a bit quieter. For the most part generators which have very respectable noise levels today, but there is always room for improvement. Here’s a quick article on making your generator a bit easier to live with.

Please click the link below for the article:

http://rotory.com/transit/noise/

Enjoy Mike

When I rebuilt the stator rotor assembly on my Onan I installed automotive heat resistant sound absorbing foam inside the generator box. Then reinstalled the Onan.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I was at the balloon fiesta also. 1800 or so rvs tucked into that field ... almost all ran generators, and the vast majority did not have genturies. One or two nights got a little too thick with exhaust fumes.

One person across from me had a great idea: he had bought a commercial genturi, but used a little scissor jack underneath the metal at the bottom to support the weight of the thing (instead of allowing the exhaust pipe from the genny taking the load). I thought that is an excellent idea, which i will copy!
The weight is taken by the tow double suction cup gizmos - no strain on the Onan exhaust - I was careful about that... But - yes, it worked great! Anything that can reduce noise and the fumes in the face is a great addition to the rig.

And, to the poster curious of how we store the DIY gen-turi, well, using the same "hooks" that sit on the suction cups, I simply hook onto my ladder and then bungee the bugger to keep it from jumping up and away - yes, we look like Jed Clampett moving his family. As a matter of fact, we are looking for a small rocking chair and stuffed grandma to affix to our rear end after a few forum folks informed us that anything attached to the rig would make us look like the Clampetts! --->>

--->>> LOL - glad someone is keeping score, we're past that - we're just glad we're not smelling roots and get to travel and meet everyone with smiles on their faces!

Tags
generator, onan, quiet