Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Making steering on a short wheelbase DP behave.

We have a 2006 Monaco LaPalma, diesel pusher. 36' 300 Cummins, hydraulic brakes, short wheelbase. To date, new tires, dual alignments and the installation of a "Safety Steer" unit, all to help control the constant fight to have the coach track straight, especially in cross winds and bow waves from large vehicles at speeds in excess of 45nph. The Safety Steer was spectacular. Directional stability was dramatically increased, adding a much needed respite fighting the coach every foot it drove above 45. Any new products out there that in addition to the Safety Steer will help make it less of a fatiguing drive, I'd sure like to know ASAP. The rig is in exceptional condition, regularly serviced and completely reliable, so my only issues Re with the loose steering. Ideas,? Please!?
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

Safety Steer did it for me.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And I thought diesel pusher would not have this problem!
I have the Ford F53 chassis with the V10 engine, and am trying to overcome the same problems. I have the unit now that passing semis or other large vehicles do not cause any problem any more and wind gusts are relatively easy to handle, too.

First I replaced the stock shock absorbers with special Bilstein shocks, I followed with a Steer Safe unit, and a rear track bar. The final result was achieved with the installation of Sumo springs (they mimic specially designed air bags in addition to your normal suspension).
You might want to look into which of those mods would be applicable to your unit.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #4

Curious as to what chassis and shocks you are on. I made the same additions but also changed the front end tow to run out a couple of degrees which helps. Going to go with new shocks but undecided as to brand. Stock was Bilstien. I also keep the fresh water tank at least half full since it and fuel tank is just behind the front axle which seems to help. I am not sure anything will make a short DP comfortable to drive, just too much weight hanging over the back wheels.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:12 AM   #5

My recommendation would be to add a rear track bar
Old 10-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Rick- Over in the Monaco Owners forum, there are a few threads in there that specifically address these types of issues. The first thing that comes to mind might be replacing the steering box. Many of these used a Sheppard steering box that have a lot of free play. You might be a candidate for a TRW replacement. Here is a thread that might help to provide some solutions to your coach... check it out.
RR44R chassis upgrades
Old 10-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

You say "short wheelbase". How short? How long is the rear overhang?
And, assuming the front suspension is correctly adjusted for caster and toe, keep in mind that in order to achieve the maximum castor and toe authority, the front end needs to be loaded to the maximum allowed, specially on short wheelbase-long rear overhang motorhomes.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Start with the cheap stuff first.

Weigh the coach and adjust the tire pressures accordingly. If possible get a 4 corner weight. You might find that the coach is loaded improperly so that one side, front or rear is overloaded.

Ensure your ride height is adjusted.

Now worry about the expensive stuff.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.rutel View Post
We have a 2006 Monaco LaPalma, diesel pusher. 36' 300 Cummins, hydraulic brakes, short wheelbase. To date, new tires, dual alignments and the installation of a "Safety Steer" unit, all to help control the constant fight to have the coach track straight, especially in cross winds and bow waves from large vehicles at speeds in excess of 45nph. The Safety Steer was spectacular. Directional stability was dramatically increased, adding a much needed respite fighting the coach every foot it drove above 45. Any new products out there that in addition to the Safety Steer will help make it less of a fatiguing drive, I'd sure like to know ASAP. The rig is in exceptional condition, regularly serviced and completely reliable, so my only issues Re with the loose steering. Ideas,? Please!?
everyone of those I test drove was a hand full... it's in the air ride and the valving..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have an acknowledged "short wheelbase", then you've got a really heavy 300 horse diesel hanging out at the end of probably a 13 ft rear overhang. I'm thinking your W/L ratio is likely at 50% or maybe less. If you can park another 500 to 1000 Lbs over your front axel it will probably help a lot, but I'm guessing your chassis doesn't have the capacity.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #11

Do you have your loaded for travel; 4 corner; weights and your tire manufacturers inflation charts?
Old 10-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #12

I highly recommend Henderson's Line-up (Grants Pass, OR). We didn't have a major problem with handling, but it was worth a 100 mile detour last summer to take it to Henderson's for their on the road evaluation. They determined that 3 of our 4 koni shocks were bad. Our short dp (33' 10") has their control valves installed (installed by previous owner), which were found to be functioning correctly. We had it aligned and new Koni's installed, and it eliminated the "floating" feeling on bumps.

It was good to have their expert assessment, so we didn't feel we were just experimenting with new parts.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. The one thing our salesperson said when we looked at the LaPalma was the "nervous" handling associated with this model. Every post here had useful information worth investigating. As soon as we get back home in a few weeks, I'll start working on it. Thanks again.
rick.rutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #14

I also had a very good experience at Henderson Align. They are a sponsor on this site. Probably not an option for you as they are in Grants Pass, Oregon. Their recommendations made after a road assessment made a world of difference in handling. Koni shocks and alignment made the largest improvement in ride. Drove 600 miles and returned for larger sway bars and a track bar. They specialize in MH undercarriage work. Since they are also a stocking dealer for numerous products, a call to them might be worthwhile. Do to their high volume of work I am sure they have encountered a MH like yours with similar problems and would sell you the necessary parts that you could have installed locally. FWIW Oregon does not have sales tax, which could offset shipping.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering