Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs down Making sure I'm ready

My wife and I recently purchased a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39V and am very excited to get it ready for a two year around the county tour. I'm a retired automotive shop owner/tech and have done a little diesel work but always want to be sure my vehicles are in top shape for my travels. Being I'm not as informed on diesels I'm reaching out to other DIY for any advice on servicing of the Cat C7 330hp and or on the Freightliner XC series chassis. Mainly any upgrades to improve safety and comfort. I've checked all the house components and all check out great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Happy travels to all.

David
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First from WA State!

I haven't had a CAT/FL chassis since we traded the '00 DSDP in on an '02 DSDP.
Main thing would be to be sure the air system is serviced and then new shocks.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Read up on the HEUI fuel system. It's different than most diesels. Also, check the water pump belt-it's buried behind the serpentine belt and easy to overlook.
Other than that, carry spare fuel filters and the appropriate wrench to change them. They must be filled with fuel when installing them.
If you have a water-in-fuel light, be sure you know how to drain the primary filter. Don't drain it dry, just until the water is out.
Knowing how to prime the fuel system is a good plan as well.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Read up on the HEUI fuel system. It's different than most diesels. Also, check the water pump belt-it's buried behind the serpentine belt and easy to overlook.
Other than that, carry spare fuel filters and the appropriate wrench to change them. They must be filled with fuel when installing them.
If you have a water-in-fuel light, be sure you know how to drain the primary filter. Don't drain it dry, just until the water is out.
Knowing how to prime the fuel system is a good plan as well.
Oh, and a spare serpentine belt isn't a bad plan either. I always saved my old one. In a pinch it's better than nothing.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some things to be aware of and check:

1. Belts and hoses
2. Air suspension/brake leaks
3. Replace fuel filters (plus a spare primary filter is a wise thing to carry)
4. Oil change & filter.
5. Up top date coolant, plus check the SCA (diesel coolant additive) level and add as needed. Exception: SCA not needed if an OAT-type coolant is used
6. Tire age: 7-10 years is the useful life, regardless of tread wear.

Each of these items could be the subject of a long topic by itself and indeed have been discussed here numerous times.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #6

We have a 2006 FLEETWOOD Expedition purchased used in 2008. I changed transmission fluid to Transend. and coolant to extended life. Changed oil and all filters, chassis lubed, added primer pump to secondary fuel filter, and cleaned radiator from engine side. Serviced Onan generator.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfleetwood View Post
My wife and I recently purchased a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39V and am very excited to get it ready for a two year around the county tour. I'm a retired automotive shop owner/tech and have done a little diesel work but always want to be sure my vehicles are in top shape for my travels. Being I'm not as informed on diesels I'm reaching out to other DIY for any advice on servicing of the Cat C7 330hp and or on the Freightliner XC series chassis. Mainly any upgrades to improve safety and comfort. I've checked all the house components and all check out great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Happy travels to all.

David
You'll do fine - it's an engine - just treat it right, but don't baby it (JMHO) - just load your normal hand tools - add a Battery drill/impact - multimeter - Maybe a small grease gun - then be sure not to let anyone know you are a mechanic - or you will be working everyday for the next two years ...

Tires and Air pressure - spare filters - good walk around before you depart - I carry a creeper just to do the greasing. For the most part a good wi-fi helps so you can access a owners manual if things need service.

Other than that - wax and Beer/Wine/Adult beverages and an Ice maker are likely all you need. (Camera/Gore Tex/Fleece/T shirts/More time) it's a big country.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #8

Great advise by all. For my part I would recommend getting it out and using it as much as possible. From the "Captain Ron" movie "if anything is going to happen it's going to happen out there"......lol.

It's a good time to familiarize yourself with the coach all it's systems, quirks and to just give it a good shake down under controlled terms.

As you are a mechanic you'll have no issues with the Diesel thing its just research you all ready know how to turn the wrenches. I'm sure all ready know this but buy a bunch of cheap gloves to wear whenever you do anything from filling up, checking oil etc. And lots of wipes and paper towels.

Enjoy!!
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Storage-Confused

Thanks to all who replies, all great information! Now with winter coming I've been reading many conflicting posts about whether I should cover it up for the winter or not? I have it stored at my beach house which is by the salt water in the NW, there's no big trees but the one side is totally exposed to the sun (facing west) any input would be greatly appreciated.
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi David! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #11

I would do a forum wide search on your particular engine to get a wealth of info.

How to do a forum search:
• Go to the top of the page with the different forum options and choose:
• RV Forums - drop down menu to Class A Motorhomes
• Once that main forum page loads, go to the green search box at the top and to the right and type in your engine specs OR whatever part your interested in learning about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irv2-search-box.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	177808  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote