Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Man the things that happen when you leave..

right before leaving on Thursday the slidout didn't work..so after normal trouble shoot I pulled the plug on the control box and make pigtails to do the + and - to the motor and get it out and in...will have to test box when get back...then water on floor by toilet..its a pedal flush with spray hose...the leak is from the pedal area..im sure its seals as its a 1997 London aire...its been working great for few years we have it..then yesterday we start the generator and charge an hour or so and I start the camper and realize the gen quit...didnt think anything of it...then at destination it WONT start..cranks nice and fast and has delay for the glow plugs but no fire...don't know what to check for that..thinking fuel filter but I thought was changed couple years ago and hasn't had that many hours..oh and on interstate 25 on Saturday before we hit Denver theres and accident and luckly I was following at my good distance and look to side mirrors as always know whats around then look straight aagain and brake lights every where...hit the skids and few things fall and stopped good...if not following at good distance it would have been hitting.....then interstate closes as fatality ahead...took hours to get to turn off...every little car trying to budge and going on shoulder ect...what NEXT....JEFF
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

For the most part over the years, I found that the trips I've taken that are without incidence are the ones that are soon forgotten . The problematic trips stick in your mind FOREVER.

Then there's my relationship with this " Murphy " guy.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

Our first big trip away from SB, 1200 miles away my oldest daughter calls from home. Dad it's raining really hard and water is running down the breakfast room wall. Me which wall? By laundry room door. Inside wall, well nothing I can do, just dry it up best as possible, and put a fan on it for now. Call back Dad it's just the shadow from the fake vine Mom hung on the chain for the light over the table. Great now I will be able to sleep.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ugghhh, Jeff! Sounds like quite a day!

One thought on the genny... is it possible that you had used enough fuel from the tank (down to a 1/4 tank or less) so that the fuel pickup for the generator was sucking air? They intentionally mount the generator fuel intake line higher in the tank than the engine intake... so if you run the generator a lot, you won't use up all your fuel and leave the coach stranded.

Just a thought... might help take one "Oh no, what now?!?!" item off the list!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #5

At least it didn't hail......lol
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

fuel was 5/8 and no hill.per se will let it go till home..but one thing I didn't try yet is holding stop button for minute to prime if it did lose it..jeff
Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
fuel was 5/8 and no hill.per se will let it go till home..but one thing I didn't try yet is holding stop button for minute to prime if it did lose it..jeff
Ah... bummer! Thought that could've been an easy solution for you to turn the tide on your nightmare day!

Hope you're right and it just lost prime! Got my fingers crossed for you... keep us posted!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My wife calls them "adventures" and we seem to have lots of them. One of my buddies read about a couple that I posted on Facebook and now, thanks to him, they're called the "road trips from hell".

Won't soon forget them.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

so far we havnt needed to use gen..went to deadwood and the rooms are cheap as sites "almost" at 53.10 with tax at the gulch and aarp.and get two free breakfasts at the restaurant and the 5 bucks gamble..and the batts charge when driving so alls good and be home Friday nite..then will check it out..i tell ya after I bought the coach my chassis batts kept draining and couldn't find why till one day I lean my hand on the alternator and it was pretty warm..clicked and of course bad diode..had it rebuilt at midway diesel and it works better than new..they say but don't know that they put different parts in...I know after a few hundred miles my house batts read 13.6 for a while..don't know if that's norm but seems good to me..jeff
Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
13.6 is good, 12.6 or over is a fully charged battery
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote