Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campomarci View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, but both myself and my husband are older with health issues and need the simplest way to level (without hydraulics or electrical system jacks) with the least amount of physical effort. My husband is retired from the construction industry and is an expert in laser leveling and we have the 2x12 wood levelers, but again, I am the one dragging and lifting those heavy 2x12's around and we've been guessing how much to raise each tire based on the level we use on the kitchen counter, so it's always too much of a process (dragging the wood levelers around to put in position in front of the appropriate tire(s), driving up on them only to find adjustments are necessary, backing up, adjusting the heavy wood, driving up on them again and hoping that will do it, and if not, do we have enough wood to make everything level, etc........). The Truma seems like the way to go to tell us how many inches each wheel needs to be adjusted, so now all I need to do is find lightweight but strong step up levelers to replace the 2x12s that are just too heavy for me to lift. (And we can't afford an after-market auto leveling system.)
Great - he's been in construction - Here's my (less than) abbreviated version in his language.

When on a level surface with the rig level. Shoot a level line around the rig and permanently mark the level locations above each tire. Make the mark above your waist height for easy access. This is your permanent level reference at each tire. (Don't forget to compensate for the laser offset if your set up has one - mine is built into the level and has a 3/8" offset from the bottom of the level.)

When you get to a site that is not level, use a short level to determine the highest tire on the rig. From that tire's permanent level reference - use your laser to shoot where level SHOULD be on the two corners adjacent to the high spot. Mark those locations with a grease pencil so you can shoot from there around the final corner.

While you shoot one side, mark the laser line over the tire location. And, then measure the distance between the new line and your permanent level reference line that you marked for that tire while you were are home and level. The measurement you get is the thickness of the pad you need at that tire.

Now, shoot a level laser from those corners to the last corner. Measure the distance between that laser line and the original permanent level reference. Then, pick a block that has that thickness and put it in front of that tire.

Repeat for the other two points. Then, roll the rig onto the three pads.

You'll have to walk around the rig a couple of times and make a few marks and take a couple of measurements. And, sadly, you'll still have to drag the appropriate pads around and pile them up - but, this is pretty much the simplest manual method for leveling...

Any Question - just PM and I'd be glad to talk you through it a couple of times so you're comfortable.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
ems, leveling, manual