Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Master Power switch

We have a new to us 2018 Jayco Precept 31ul. We've done a TON of reading and learned a lot, but there is something that is still confusing...the Main Power switch.

We just put the unit in storage and 'turned off' the Main Power switch. The red light went out. I tried pushing the switch again expecting the light to come back on and of course it didn't. I now understand this is just an indicator if 12v is being supplied to the coach batteries.

What I am still unsure of is, how do I know if the switch is now 'on' or 'off'? Do I need to turn the generator on (or connect to shore power) and push the switch until the red light comes on?

I want to leave the switch 'on' all the time except when in storage to avoid unnecessary drain on the batteries and I want to be able to be sure it's 'off' in storage.

Thanks.
peco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 11:18 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
You could turn on an interior light. When the switch is off, so will be the light.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:30 AM   #3

That switch controls battery power TO the RV 12 volt circuits FROM the battery.

The red light will be on if its connected.

If you push it to OFF and the light goes out, the battery is disconnected.

If you push it to ON and the light does not come back on, its not on.

While plugged in, the red light may stay on all of the time, but your not getting charging to your battery unless the switch is set to ON.

You may have a problem with that switch circuit and relay.
With no shore or generator power and engine off, do your interior lights work ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:10 AM   #4

The red light sounds like it's more confusing than a reliable indicator. There must be a light switch close to the door, I'd use that.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #5

Apparently you're not supposed to hold the switch in for more then 1 second. When I tried to turn it back on and the light didn't go on, I held the switch...wrong move.

I had to disconnect the negative from the batteries and wait a few minutes. After I connected it again, the switch worked fine.

Press it once quickly, the light goes off and everything turns off including the interior lights. Press it again QUICKLY and it light will come back on, although slowly and the 12v system works again.

Thanks for the suggestions.
peco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, switch