Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We drive 60-65 MPH and frequently will be passed by MH's that have to be doing 75 or more!

Our Honda owner's manual says that maximum towing speed is 65. Is that true with other manufacturers? If so, I think a lot of folks aren't reading their manuals!
Our Enclave calls for a towing speed not to exceed 65 so I drive the same as you and try not to let it get above 65 for more than a minute if I pick up speed going down hill.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
There are 4 types of people:

Two roads intersect at a four way stop sign in the desert. If you're standing at that intersection, you can see for 50 miles in all directions.

A type 1 person approaches the intersect. Being who they are, they come to a full and complete stop. They look left, no cars. They look right, no cars. They proceed through the intersection and are on their way.

A type 2 person approaches the intersection. They slow down and start looking at the intersecting road. They slow way down and look left, no oncoming cars. They look to the right, nothing, no cars, They roll through the intersection, accelerate, and are on their way.

A type 3 person approaches the intersection. Seeing there is a stop sign ahead, they slow down and come to a complete stop at the intersection. They wait at the intersection until someone comes along and tells them its OK to proceed.

A type 4 person approaches the intersection, Seeing this is just another attempt by the authorities to control them, They press the gas pedal to the floor and aim their car straight at the stop sign. After mowing down the stop sign, , still infuriated by someone telling them what to do, they slam on the brakes, jam it into reverse, and run over the stop sign again. Now feeling better for telling those mindless authorities where to stick their signs, they go happily on their way.

What type are you???
Having received 2 tickets [ in my younger years] for being type 2 I have switched over to type 1
Old 09-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Having received 2 tickets [ in my younger years] for being type 2 I have switched over to type 1
Ha, good idea, at 77 I'm still trying. Actually, I stop at the intersection and look more than once in both directions. Then I proceed down the highway at 5-10 mph over the limit. I guess I'm a ----hybrid??

With the RV I'm usually at or below the limit, but I will run a little faster to get away from what we call "gaggles". Once we got off more or less by ourselves I slow down to about the same speed as the "gaggle" in order to keep them from catching us. IMHO, running in a "gaggle" is much more hazardous than whatever it takes to get away from it, assuming that is possible.

A few weeks ago, on our return trip from back East and after visiting Monument Valley, I foolishly decided to take I-15 from Provo to Salt Lake City in the later afternoon. That was a 45 mile long "gaggle" running about 70 mph that was impossible to get away from. Never again.

Our toads have been a Samurai for about 5 years and a Tracker for the last 10. We have made numerous coast to coast trips with both at 70 mph with no ill effects, but to be certain I installed driveshaft disconnects in each of them after a trip or two without. I guess there was a worry factor involved. Both have been great, versatile, little toads.W

With front wheel drive vehicles I would use a dolly for long trips at higher speeds.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
ah, that could be because:
Maximum speed for any vehicle towing another vehicle is 55 mph in Cali
New to us rig on first trip, downhill on cruise control set for 60. Didn't yet know that the cruise would allow 7 over before engaging the engine brake. Costly lesson!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #33

Here on the "left coast" WA, OR, CA all have truck speed limits different from cars. A MH with a toad or a 5th wheel are considered trucks. That also goes for traveling in the left lanes if there are more than two lanes available. On steep down grades with trucks only lane restrictions you must adhere to the truck speed restriction. Yeah I know "I have never been stopped" but then Dillenger did not get caught robbing his first bank.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
I will say this, if we are both doing that speed limit, I will then speed up and pass you doing 70 to 75 till i get in front of you down the road,, i just like to be able to see way ahead. not your toad....
Maybe so but you will never get to the front of the line.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you look at the yearly Motorhome Magazine towing guide, more vehicles listed have speed restrictions than not. Especially when they are automatic. Our Acadia is listed at 65 and requires pulling fuses and running engine at fuel stops. Kinda a pia but see no reason to risk damaging the transmission. I will push it a few mph over to pass but am usually being passed when posted speed is 65 or over.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambeau View Post
Here on the "left coast" WA, OR, CA all have truck speed limits different from cars. A MH with a toad or a 5th wheel are considered trucks. That also goes for traveling in the left lanes if there are more than two lanes available. On steep down grades with trucks only lane restrictions you must adhere to the truck speed restriction. Yeah I know "I have never been stopped" but then Dillenger did not get caught robbing his first bank.
Where did you find the information about Oregon? Since I read your post I've been looking and haven't been able to find it.

Thanks.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
70 to 80 miles per hr. is a good reason why there are so many road gators laying on the road.
The last couple videos I have seen on this forum of Motorhomes blowing front tires and crashing appear to be traveling very fast!

Ya think there may be a connection?

Tags
tow, towing