Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
You're not reading or looking at it right. That is a 200 amp service main breaker. Expand the photo and look at it, 200 amps written right on it. The 4 wires are from the meter side. So, yes I do have 4 50 amp breakers as a 200 amp main. They are not 4 double pole, that would be 400 amps. No power company or panel manufacturer uses different colors of wire that I have ever seen. I would like to see a photo of one if you have it.
The confusion could be that you’ve said twice, that it is a 200 amp main breaker and there isn’t a 200 amp breaker in the photo. What’s where looking at is a 200 amp panel that is devoid of a 200 amp breaker.
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 04:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAlreadyGot1 View Post
The confusion could be that you’ve said twice, that it is a 200 amp main breaker and there isn’t a 200 amp breaker in the photo. What’s where looking at is a 200 amp panel that is devoid of a 200 amp breaker.
You just are not listening. That is the service breaker. You can see the meter ring next to it. When that 4 pole breaker is shut off the buss bars are dead. And it says 200 amp on it
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #31

Quote:
You just are not listening. That is the service breaker. You can see the meter ring next to it. When that 4 pole breaker is shut off the buss bars are dead. And it says 200 amp on it
I’m listening. Just can’t read a thing in that fuzzy picture.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:13 PM   #32

Quote:
I’m listening. Just can’t read a thing in that fuzzy picture.
The picture is clear on my end. But here's what the breaker is

And if you think square d stepped out on that, take a look up top, those two top busses are independent coming from the meter. You can shut off the 200 amp and those two are still hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220815-171012.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	373815  
Old 08-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
4 plus friends. Most houses if you add up the sum of all the breakers its more then the rating of the service. But you almost never use all the amps of all you breakers at the same time. My rv I bet I never use more than 30 amps on each leg at the same time?

So yes 4 plus friends all protected with duplex 50 amp breakers.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
My recollection is that circuits on a sub panel are limited to 20 amps and that higher amperage circuits must originate from the main panel..
No such restrictions. The only requirement for a circuit originating from the main was for the 3 wire range and dryer circuits, they were required to be fed with service entrance cable directly from the service entrance, never from a sub panel although this rule was violated all the time. It went away with the 1996 NEC requiring ranges and dryers to be wired with 4 wires.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
This must also be an older service since newer 240 volt wires use a red and a black wire to carry the current, not two blacks as your photo seems to show. .
I've installed or worked on thousands of panels and never seen one with colored wires other than black. I can't even imagine why they would do that and what difference it would make other than cost more. The cables we buy have red and black but never the main feeds in a manufactured panel, nor the service wires although the underground service wire has a thin yellow stripe on the neutral..as if you can't tell it's 1/2 the size of the hots.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:35 PM   #36

Quote:
The picture is clear on my end. But here's what the breaker is

And if you think square d stepped out on that, take a look up top, those two top busses are independent coming from the meter. You can shut off the 200 amp and those two are still hot.
I pass no judgement on Square D. However, I do believe this website takes clear photos and turns them to mush.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:22 PM   #37

Quote:
I pass no judgement on Square D. However, I do believe this website takes clear photos and turns them to mush.
Yeah, space costs money, even when it's digital. You have to admit, this forum has taught and helped a bunch of people. Can't count the hours it has saved me.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:43 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I've installed or worked on thousands of panels and never seen one with colored wires other than black. I can't even imagine why they would do that and what difference it would make other than cost more. The cables we buy have red and black but never the main feeds in a manufactured panel, nor the service wires although the underground service wire has a thin yellow stripe on the neutral..as if you can't tell it's 1/2 the size of the hots.
yup I have seen a few red at service entrance, rare..
My Dad was line and inside electrician since the 60's. I have dabbled with him for years but then dabbled as a Nuke Control systems electrical engineer till the mid 80's. blah blah.
Funny I ordered the drop wires in copper 2/0 and the counter guy asked me if I wanted colored he had some back there.. I said NO just give me 75 foot black..I have tape to mark them..

I have a crap load of old tape, is not very good, brown,yellow, orange.. lt blue for 277 lighting,, seems to depend on where you are from too..back in the day..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:53 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Everyone of my pictures uploaded come out great on IRV2.com. Try and take pics that are wider then taller for best results. 👌
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Everyone of my pictures uploaded come out great on IRV2.com. Try and take pics that are wider then taller for best results. 👌
Are photos taken in landscape format captured at a higher resolution than those taken in portrait format?
Old 08-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Are photos taken in landscape format captured at a higher resolution than those taken in portrait format?
Resolution isn't based on landscape mode, just that the picture will post in a normal view verses sideways.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Resolution isn't based on landscape mode, just that the picture will post in a normal view verses sideways.
My apologies for taking this thread off topic, but now it seems that you’re discussing the orientation of a photo rather than the resolution or clarity of a photo.

My previous comment was that a photo posted in this thread is blurry to the point that no numbers or letters can be read on my screen, despite the fact that the person who posted the photo stated that the photo is sharp on their end. That indicates that the image is being degraded along the way.

Text and other images are sharp on my screen. And, no, I don’t need a new prescription, at least as of my visit last March.