Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MCD Shades - Florida

I'm planning on upgrading our 2005 Itasca Horizon with the MCD American Duo shades while we are here in Wildwood FL. We are anticipating buying the shades and having them installed by Alliance Coach in Wildwood.

I would be interested in any comments by those who have had the MCD shades retrofitted on their rig, most interested in hearing from folks who have dealt with Alliance Coach. Lazy Days is also an authorized dealer for MCD and I chose Alliance because they are only about three miles from my current location. Any comments about Lazy Days MCD installations would also be appreciated.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We installed three MCD Duo shades in the front living area of our motor home and liked them so much we decided to install them in the rest of the coach including the windshield and cabin.
After talking with MCD about the windshield part, we decided to go to the factory and have them do the installation. The windshield was more involved than I wanted to handle.

They did a great job but it does require some skill and know how for the windshield installation.
MCD trains the approved dealer technicians at the factory for sure and maybe at the dealer site. I would hope that a trained tech could do a good job.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am planning on heading to the factory for the installation of mine. It is out of the way for our travel plans but I have become a fan of factory work. Would be interested to hear how you make out and if anyone else has any comparisons.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #4

We stopped at the factory, in McInney, Tx., in the spring; and had the whole coach done. Power front, manual everywhere else. Left the blinds in the little kitchen and bathroom windows. But they put in the black fabric behind the blinds. Also had a inside cover , for the shower. The heat input ,from the windows, is dramatically reduced. Much better insulation, inside the coach. The factory did the whole job in 3 days. One day to measure, one day to make, one day to install; zip zop done.
The front windows are a major install, best left to a pro. The factory charged me 5 1/2 hours install time. And the shades are cheaper there. Also while putting one of the side shades, the installer did not like the way it rolled up, so he had them make a new one.
I would recommend the factory.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

My 2011 came with them. We think that they are a great product.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #6

mcd

Installed in living room and bedroom. Love them!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the input. We decided to have the MCD shades installed by Alliance Coach in Wildwood, FL throughout the entire coach including the cockpit. Windshield will be powered and the balance will be manual. The installation will be more complex than I expected because four of the valances need to be modified. The installation is expected to take three to four days and we will stay in their campground during the process.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We replaced the fabric pull curtains in our cockpit with a motorized Duo-shade for the windshield & maual Duo's for the pilot/co-pilot windows. We absolutely love the shades. I really like being able to look out with the privacy shades down vs the fabric pull curtains which blocked all views out the front. We're planning on replacing the pleated shades in the rest of the coach with Duo's as funds permit. They're pricey, but worth it IMO.

I agree with having the motorized windshield one installed professionally. You really need to know what you're doing, it's bulky & long & it's tight working up there. The manuals are much easier to install by a regular Joe-schmo handyman.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida