Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Measuring exact height?

I'm trying to determine our clearance. I haven't figured out a reliable way to measure our coach's height, exactly.

I'd love any tips on getting the right measurement, because, well, being a couple inches off might be the difference between a good day and a "my life isn't worth living" kinda day

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #2

I laid a 10' long 2X2 on the highest point (AC) and checked it with a level. From the roof I extended the tape measure to the ground. Did this on each side to make sure the measurements matched. If not, just average the two measurements.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I laid an 8 ft long 2x4 on top of the rear A/C unit so it hung over on both sides. (my tallest object) Then I used a ladder and measured on both sides of the MH from the ground to the 2x4. The height is the average of the two readings.

Do this empty with the airbags fully inflated. this is my worst case height.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another way is to stop at a highway weigh station when it is not busy. Many have hanging plaques to drive under. You see which plaque is not moving and you know the height.

Side benefit is to get your coach weighed also.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Laser levels are real cheap. Find the highest point on the RV, put the level on it and level it with the laser turned on and pointed to the side of the RV. Have someone hold the end of the tape measure on the ground. Climb the ladder and find the light from the laser moving you hand. substitute the tape for the hand and read where the mark is. That is your minimum clearance. Sounds more difficult than it really is.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

I used a laser level, a tape measure, a brick and a ladder. I fastened the end of the tape measure to the brick which I placed on the ground next to the ladder. I climbed the ladder holding the tape measure and level. I shined the laser on the highest object (the sat dome on my coach) and slowly raised it until the red dot disappeared off the top of the dome. Holding the tape next to the level gave me the height of the highest structure.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I need to add this to my "to do" list and I appreciate you bringing this up. I too thought of a board or extended pole that I use for cleaning. I would hold the pole with a level and have the wife use the tape measure.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #8

Then factor in the unknown, like a depression underneath an overpass. The lowest point is what the sign says, but your front and rear axles are straddling the lowest point not in it. Then what if the road has been re-paved but sign has not been changed.
I always add a foot to my height, and then approach a "close encounter" slowly and give the front cap-mounted radio antenna time to make noise before I hear a crunch. I know I can drive under a 12' 6" overpass IF the pavement is level; but I wouldn't want to do it every day. AHHH, basement air conditioners.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 PM   #9

If you're an Escapees member, the smart weigh program includes a height measurement using their tool (essentially a giant adjustable framing square) in addition to weighing your coach at each wheel.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the 2X4 method as others did.

Then I put my height on a 4 X 6 notecard and taped it inside on the top left of my windshield where i can see it with a glance.

I put on another 2" just for safety's sake.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Measuring exact height?

Why not go with the manufactures hight spec and add 6 inches
Samuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #12

The RV Geeks have a nice video on the subject at
Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #13

Thanks everyone
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #14

Measure from ground to top of the coach in road mode (air suspension full up) unloaded, climb on roof and measure the highest point and add the 2 together. Add 6" and you will be fine.

Manufactures spec may not be accurate if equipment has been changed or added, satellite domes on older models may of not been OEM.
red300zx is offline   Reply With Quote