Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mechanic wants a 27% surcharge on Banks header install

After hours and hours of research I am convinced that replacing my bad exhaust manifolds with Banks headers is the best way to go. This is especially true since I can finance the parts if I purchase them myself. The problem is that the mechanic, who quoted me $3,500 for "3492.21 two manifolds hardware gaskets and muffler" and $1,500 for labor refuses to install the Banks stuff without a 27% ($405) "labor surcharge" plus any additional time to install.

Does any of this make sense?
  1. Is it just me or does a 27% surcharge on customer provided parts sound a little outrageous?
  2. Is $5,000 reasonable for Workhorse OEM manifolds, with assorted parts, one muffler and labor? ($3,500 parts).
  3. Are Banks headers a lot more difficult to install than OEM manifolds?

Unfortunately, I have not found another mobile mechanic, yet. As full-timers with a dog having the work done at a shop would be a real problem, though I am going to get quotes.

Thanks
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 11:47 AM   #2

WE FTd traveled with a Large dog
Had to have major repairs done........10 days

Had to have some repairs done at factory....3 days

Both times......Pet Friendly Motels
Being Flexible is what FTng is all about

As for Headers........have no experience with OEM/Banks or repair costs

Not understand WHAT the 27% sur-charge is for?
Did you specifically ask the mechanic and question them ???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #3

I think whether it's called a "surcharge" or whatever is somewhat irrelevant. The total price is all that really matters.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think you're saying that the labor he's quoting is different depending on whether you supply the parts or he does. If that's true then that's not surprising. He probably makes a profit on parts he supplies which he misses out on if you supply the parts.

It's basically a take it or leave it or try to negotiate situation. How much he needs your business and you need his service determines how that will go.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I think whether it's called a "surcharge" or whatever is somewhat irrelevant. The total price is all that really matters.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think you're saying that the labor he's quoting is different depending on whether you supply the parts or he does. If that's true then that's not surprising. He probably makes a profit on parts he supplies which he is now missing out on.

It's basically a take it or leave or try to negotiate situation. How much he needs your business or you need his service determines how that will go.
I agree with tetranz^^.

No doubt, if you supplied OEM parts, there would be a surcharge also. It has nothing to do with Banks parts, per se. Not all shops or mobile mechanics allow customers to supply their own parts.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #5

Mechanics typically get about 20% off of the parts they buy. He's making up for his lost profit on the parts. There is nothing unusual about this.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Mechanics typically get about 20% off of the parts they buy. He's making up for his lost profit on the parts. There is nothing unusual about this.

Correct.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #7

Yeah I agree with others. By you buying the parts he doesn't get to mark them up some. That is usually always figured into the equation of a mechanical quote. But in addition to that you remove his responsibility if some parts are missing when he starts. You said you'd like to do this bc you can finance the parts. If I was you, I'd just take the cash out of my emergency fund, pay the guy, let him order all the parts and do the install. Make sure you get dead drop start date and a finish date. You don't want other clients jumping in front of you mid job. Everything in writing BEFORE you move forward, 1/2 down to start balance upon completion and testing.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you supply the parts, and there is an issue where the parts need replacing, the mechanic will not cover the labor cost. I never take parts to my mechanic.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #9

So if you take your own Bacon and Eggs into a restaurant and ask them to cook them for you how do you think that would turn out ?
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohokam View Post
After hours and hours of research I am convinced that replacing my bad exhaust manifolds with Banks headers is the best way to go. This is especially true since I can finance the parts if I purchase them myself. The problem is that the mechanic, who quoted me $3,500 for "3492.21 two manifolds hardware gaskets and muffler" and $1,500 for labor refuses to install the Banks stuff without a 27% ($405) "labor surcharge" plus any additional time to install.

Does any of this make sense?
  1. Is it just me or does a 27% surcharge on customer provided parts sound a little outrageous?
  2. Is $5,000 reasonable for Workhorse OEM manifolds, with assorted parts, one muffler and labor? ($3,500 parts).
  3. Are Banks headers a lot more difficult to install than OEM manifolds?

Unfortunately, I have not found another mobile mechanic, yet. As full-timers with a dog having the work done at a shop would be a real problem, though I am going to get quotes.

Thanks
You're saying two different things here. In the first paragraph, you're saying he's charging extra for installing headers. Further down, you're saying he's charging extra for parts.

The way I see it, the extra charge would be for installing headers. If he was just replacing the OEM manifolds, everything goes right back into place, including the connection of the exhaust to the manifolds. When changing to headers, often, their a FIGHT to install because of their size. Then you have to create new connections from the headers to the exhaust pipe, which at a minimum will include cutting the pipe ends off, adding the header connectors and possibly welding in new pipe at the proper angles....a lot of extra work. If he doesn't have a rack large enough for an RV, it means he has to lay on the ground to do the extra fabricating.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #11

The vast majority of mechanics would never install customer parts...

1) they count on the markup as income
2) if the part fails, big arguments about who pays to replace
3) more work to install parts you aren’t used to...

The only time I’ve asked a mechanic to install my parts, was when a used part had to be used he couldn’t procure easily...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
By you buying the parts he doesn't get to mark them up some.
Plus the shop may be able to buy the parts at a discount and you can't, so overall you could be paying the same for the parts as you would pay yourself and the shop won't add additional labor on since part of their profit came from the parts discount.

Ray
Old 06-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #13

Perfectly normal business policy. If you had first asked the same mechanic for his estimate to install your Banks Kit, he would have quoted you $1905. However, if he supplied the Banks Kit, he would discount the installation by $405. Would that have been a better deal??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Banks is Not the Magic world for Headers- I'd stay with OE Manifolds if I were You and have the Shop or another Shop give you a Quote to install them.
You can Buy Headers all Day for $500 to $600 a set --Its the Welding from the Old Pipes that adds to the expense !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, mechanic