Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #1

Medical disqualification (CDL)

I became diabetic recently and began insulin. I went in to renew my medical with a physicians assistant in CA. She informed me insulin use is an automatic DQ. She said there is a review process but another patient of hers was told by DOT, they are not giving waivers for insulin. The PA said if I can work toward getting off insulin, I could pass a medical again.
I submitted a "self evaluation medical" form to S Dakota and selected to keep my CDL with non excepted intastate status. That way I keep a CDL if I can ever get off insulin I can get interstate resumption. I have a S Dakota license. All this is recent and I have not heard back from SD DMV but I expect it will be granted.
The PA said CPAP use now requires a waiver also.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 04:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You do not need a CDL to drive a RV if that is why you are inquiring.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Insulin dependant diabetic has been a DQ for quite a while. Even high blood pressure can be a problem. I went in for physical and BP was high. Now I can only get 1 year physical for life reguardless that it's controlled now. If high enough doctor said they won't renew. Som people only get 6 month card.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
I went in to renew my medical with a physicians assistant in CA.

I have a S Dakota license.
Not sure about CA or SD, but in FL there is no special driver's license (no CDL) for an RV. If you can get a driver's licence in FL you can drive a motorhome.

However, maybe DOT is wise and is concerned that a driver that is insulin dependant can be at a higher risk of passing out while driving.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you drive (any class of license) and use insulin, you can expect a medical review anywhere from yearly to every three years. While this depends on your state of residency, a number of states have adopted this rule and yes, they are looking for loss of conciseness events on your review.

If you have diabetes (30 million of us do) and you use insulin, I encourage you keep really good logs of your daily blood sugars. Blood sugar logs can really help things go through the review board faster.

There are multiple types of insulin and many Type 2 diabetics are put on a long acting insulin first. These types of insulin do not, as a rule, cause low blood sugars. However, the review boards respond to the use of "insulin" and don't use one iota of their medical training to differentiate one type of insulin from another.

For CDL drivers, the need to use insulin to control your diabetes leads to the loss of a job. If you are Type 2, you can avoid insulin by losing lots of weight (hard to do) or using a regimen of drugs that avoids insulin. These are GLP-1 inhibitors, metformin, and drugs like Farxiga. A good endocrinologist can help.

I've had diabetes (type 2) for 28 years. I currently use an insulin pump and have used the pump for the past 5 years. I keep logs from my pump, my smart phone based system, and my CGM. Diabetes is a highly manageable disease but unmanaged, it can be a real destroyer of your body.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
You do not need a CDL to drive a RV if that is why you are inquiring.
You are wrong with this blanket statement. I think most people would research for themselves rather than listen to anyone with a keyboard. By the way, I did not inquire anything. I only reported my experience.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you drive (any class of license) and use insulin, you can expect a medical review anywhere from yearly to every three years. While this depends on your state of residency, a number of states have adopted this rule and yes, they are looking for loss of conciseness events on your review.

If you have diabetes (30 million of us do) and you use insulin, I encourage you keep really good logs of your daily blood sugars. Blood sugar logs can really help things go through the review board faster.

There are multiple types of insulin and many Type 2 diabetics are put on a long acting insulin first. These types of insulin do not, as a rule, cause low blood sugars. However, the review boards respond to the use of "insulin" and don't use one iota of their medical training to differentiate one type of insulin from another.

For CDL drivers, the need to use insulin to control your diabetes leads to the loss of a job. If you are Type 2, you can avoid insulin by losing lots of weight (hard to do) or using a regimen of drugs that avoids insulin. These are GLP-1 inhibitors, metformin, and drugs like Farxiga. A good endocrinologist can help.

I've had diabetes (type 2) for 28 years. I currently use an insulin pump and have used the pump for the past 5 years. I keep logs from my pump, my smart phone based system, and my CGM. Diabetes is a highly manageable disease but unmanaged, it can be a real destroyer of your body.
Great information. Thanks.
You said "if you drive and use insulin with any class of license, you can expect a review within 1 to 3 years".

How are these reviews triggered when a medical exam is not required on non CDL licenses?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #8

speaking from a type 2 diabetic who found out 2 years ago that I was diabetic, It is a lot to take in at once. Most of my family is diabetic to some degree. I was DKA when I went into the ER for blood work and spent 5 days in ICU. I was on Long lasting and short acting insulin shots 4 times a day along with pills such as metformin. I hated it so much and vowed to get off the shots in anyway I could. I started being careful of what I ate, and exercised and within a couple weeks was off the short acting shots all together. By 6 months in I was off the shots all together and only manage it with pills now.

Everyone has different results but you can get off the shots. It does happen. My DR has been so thrilled with my results that she even changed my visits from every 3 months to every 6 months. My A1c went from 12 something to 5.8. And trust me when I say this... I didn't make huge changes in my life. I just made a few small changes in my eating habits.

For me the deciding factor was that I didn't want to stick myself a dozen times a day for the rest of my life so something needed to be done. For you the CDL would be enough of a motivator to make a few changes so that it doesn't affect your lively hood or your ability to drive your RV.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve11669 View Post
You are wrong with this blanket statement. I think most people would research for themselves rather than listen to anyone with a keyboard. By the way, I did not inquire anything. I only reported my experience.
A CDL is a Commercial Drivers License and is not required unless you drive a commercial rig for pay. Some states do require different types of licenses to drive bigger/heavier rigs but they don't require a medical certification.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless an owner is operating the coach in a commercial or commerce related activity a Commercial Driver's License is not required by the Federal or South Dakota governments. RV's are not considered Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV) when utilized for personal purpose and South Dakota specifically exempts RV's from being titled as a CMV. - SDLRC - Codified Law 32-9-3 scroll down to line 10 and 11. Just another reason for establishing residency as a full timer in South Dakota.

There are states that do have specific license endowments to operate private motor vehicles in excess of specific lengths or weight and the requires may mirror some aspects of the CDL based testing but the similarity ends there.

As a side note, RV delivery drivers are not required to hold a CDL. RVIA petitioned and was granted a waiver - https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/notices/2018-03367
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not true. Good friend was on BP med's for several years and managed to get off of them by diet and exercise. His doc had to certify that he was off of them and the DOT approved gave him his two year ticket. He is also in Washington State.

That being said
Quote:

If a driver with hypertension has lowered his blood pressure to normal range, lost weight, and is off medications, can he/she be certified for 2 years?

This is the Medical Examiner's decision.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/if-dri...ost-weight-and

Of course this applies to Commercial DL, the Non-Commercial likely falls under each states guidelines.

Maybe you need to doctor shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Insulin dependant diabetic has been a DQ for quite a while. Even high blood pressure can be a problem. I went in for physical and BP was high. Now I can only get 1 year physical for life reguardless that it's controlled now. If high enough doctor said they won't renew. Som people only get 6 month card.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #12

Never ever heard such a thing, I’m from California
kalinina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

I'm not sure why the original post was made here, as this is not a Commercial driving forum, but I suppose it was just to alert some of us who might have a CDL license that some health issues could impact the ability to be 'authorized' to continue using it, if needed.
For the majority on this forum, this subject and thread may be part of the reason that there is confusion about 'driving' an RV, especially the larger ones, and having to have some type of 'special' license. It's not true in most cases, but many folks buy into it never-the-less.

A CDL is for commercial truck drivers only. It is NOTHING to do with RVing.

A very few states do, though, have requirements for either Heavy, or Long, motorhomes and fifth-wheel owners/drivers to take an 'extra' class/test to be able to drive WITHIN the state they are registered in.

For those of us in other states that don't have any special 'rv' driving requirement, the majority, you are perfectly o.k. to drive your RV in ANY state. Only the laws of your registered state are what you adhere to, not the laws of other states you may visit. States provide this benefit as a 'reciprocal' agreement with each other so that state laws do not 'prohibit' other state's RV owners from visiting/driving thru their locale.
If you are in a state with more stringent laws/requirements, they do not apply in other states without those laws, only yours. You only have to adhere to your own registered state's laws, to be legal in every other state, including Canada.

Even the states that have a requirement for a specific 'special' license addition don't often understand it themselves. Going to the DMV or local driver services office often yields misinformation and aggravation. Getting these 'special' license designations can be more of a trial in educating their own personnel about the state's laws, even then they may not see it often enough to even know what you need to do. Some say you must have your motorhome at their site to do a 'test' drive, and yet they don't allow you to 'drive' your motorhome to their site because you don't 'yet' have the proper license! It can be a little crazy.

Do I think everyone in those state that meet the requirement of needing the special designation should get it? Of course.
Do I think that any one of the others that either are oblivious to the requirement, or decide not to worry about, are going to ever get 'penalized'? Very doubtful.
I've not seen the weight police pull over an RV, ever.
I doubt anyone has seen the length police get out their measuring tapes, either.

But, if the law requires it, get it. Just be prepared that it can be a full day, or even a week, of aggravation, misunderstanding, and misinformation.

I understand that some states have enacted regulation so as to make sure that drivers understand how to 'handle' these vehicles, but it's doubtful that any of their measures and test requirements do anything more that aggravate the RVing public. It's doubtful that anyone comes away from that with any 'better' driving than they had already, especially since there's no 'learners permit' for these 'special' license designations.
RVinsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
CA requires a non commercial A or B with M.H. endorsement for any M.H. over 40'. A medical every 2 years is required. I have a CDL for my work so it's not a problem for me. Wish I didn't have to deal with the medical when I retire in 2 years.

Tags
cat