Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

Metal Roof on my Class A

Yesterday, I had my 2010 Thor Hurricane washed and waxed by a professional in Foley, Alabama. They also wash and clean the roof and awnings. I asked him about the quality and appearance of my roof while he was up there. He told me that my roof was a metal roof that had sealant at all seams, and that the sealant was in good condition. I am handicapped and am unable to go up and inspect the roof. I had always thought that my roof was a rubber roof, and that I needed to keep the motor home covered to protect it. I pay $150 monthly to keep it stored in a covered building with electrical power provided. With this type of roof, is it necessary to keep it stored in this way? Am I being over protective with my storage methods? Appreciate your thoughts.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
According to your brochure, you have TPO.
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is sweet if you have the disposable income to store your RV indoors as it will extend the entire life of the RV. Storing indoor prevents the suns UV rays from eating the side of your tires and drying out all the decals. Controls the temperature to prevent the interior cooking and freezing, protects the sides and roof from blowing sand and debris, naturally protects the calking on the roof and arounds the windows, and protects exposed awnings (no alumaguard) from being eaten by the sun, also protects all vents and covers from UV rays and winds and it keeps the RV clean.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They quit using metal (actually aluminum) roofs many years ago. I'm not a Thor expert, but I suspect "Nomad Mike" is correct.

Either way, storing inside isn't so much about protecting the roof, but about protecting the entire coach from the ravages of the weather. The indoor storage protects al of the sealed joints, which you still have, no matter what roof is on there.

If you can afford it, I would leave it in covered storage. Your coach will look years newer and will have less issues. Around here, we pay $150.00 for a narrow spot outside.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Like I said above, I am handicapped and am unable to get on top of the roof, and have to pay for most maintenance I have done. That is the reason I bought the 4 year extended warranty when I purchased the MH. I guess the guy yesterday is not an expert on RV maintenance. He did a great job cleaning it up and waxing it, though. I am not familiar with a TPO roof, and just looked it up on Google. I am retired and on a fixed income, however, $150 a month seems smart and necessary if that is what is required to protect a substantial investment. I'll continue to leave her stored indoors. Thanks for your info and advice.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many of us are not handicapped but too old to be on roofs, afraid of heights, or not flexible enough to be crawling on top or under our RVs. Photographs say a lot. Whenever you have someone on the roof or under the RV, hand them your cell or digital camera. If they see something not right and needs attention, have them take a photo of it. Instead of just taking a tech's or workman's word for it, you will have something for your eyes to examine and enlarge for clarity. Numerous photos of your roof would show its' actual condition to include vents and covers, etc. Same goes when crawling under it.
BEFORE and AFTER photos are great when having something new installed and when having the RV detailed. Photos can also be used for sharing with insurance and warrantee claims and us. You can also save the photos for comparison with future ones.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, roof