Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #1

MH & Stacker Trailer Over-Length

I realize the general subject has been hit on a few times, but I am looking for comments from thos that have "driven" many miles while "over-length".

Hard to get everything you, (or "I" want), want in 65'. I plan to be "Full Time" RV, and most of my traveling would be on Interstates.
The "TOYS" I would have in the Stacker, being 3-wheeled MotorCycles, would be for touring local roads and attending local events.
Traveling from Point "A" campground to point "B" campground, (quite often). However, I would, of necessity, have to travel local roads from last CG to next CG, and also for some food stops, and other.
It is more THESE roads, than the Interstates, I am concerned about.

I haven't purchased yet, although "almost" decided on a MH-Stacker rig of 70". Here, I wanted to see what I might be getting myself into.
Are "most" over length? Is it common to do so? What might be the ramifications?

Who has done what, for how long and and what are your feelings - IF you have done it.
Who has had any experience with being over-length.
Please state what was final outcome.
Thank you for commenting.
BigOldBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

So you are looking for people to tell you it's ok to break the law?
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #3

We have been over length now for four years. Two years with an open trailer and the last two with a 26' enclosed trailer. (31' overall) Our son has a similar setup. At 75' total length, we are always at risk of getting a citation and/or being told to park it until we can get legal. From what I have seen, the LEO's tend to overlook this type of thing with RV's. I was told by one that as long as there is no other violation reason to stop an RV, he overlooks the length. However, if you are involved in an accident or other serious violation, the length will also become part of your problem. I make it a practice to ensure that I am overly cautious and below the speed limits on all roads especially in towns. We have traveled from the mid-west to the western mountain states, but not CA and have never been questioned. Some friends have traveled a couple hundred miles into CA each year and none of them have been stopped with their 75' rigs. There must be more over length RV's on the road now, as it is getting more common to find campgrounds that accommodate up to 80' rigs. If you use common sense and caution, you should be OK.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got an over lenght citation in Kansas.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
So you are looking for people to tell you it's ok to break the law?
My thoughts exactly!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

Been 69 feet long with my 38 foot Diplomat mostly AZ and CA. No problems moving up to a 40 this year😎
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldBear View Post
I realize the general subject has been hit on a few times, but I am looking for comments from thos that have "driven" many miles while "over-length".

Hard to get everything you, (or "I" want), want in 65'. I plan to be "Full Time" RV, and most of my traveling would be on Interstates.
The "TOYS" I would have in the Stacker, being 3-wheeled MotorCycles, would be for touring local roads and attending local events.
Traveling from Point "A" campground to point "B" campground, (quite often). However, I would, of necessity, have to travel local roads from last CG to next CG, and also for some food stops, and other.
It is more THESE roads, than the Interstates, I am concerned about.

I haven't purchased yet, although "almost" decided on a MH-Stacker rig of 70". Here, I wanted to see what I might be getting myself into.
Are "most" over length? Is it common to do so? What might be the ramifications?

Who has done what, for how long and and what are your feelings - IF you have done it.
Who has had any experience with being over-length.
Please state what was final outcome.
Thank you for commenting.
Well Sir,
You already know the answer or, answers to your questions here. You know that, based on whatever state your traveling in, you will have length limits. And some, will be longer than others. I've ran over length a few times and, in plenty of states. Been passed by many LEO in all those states and not even a sneer from them.

You'll have way more worries in finding campgrounds and RV parking spots that will be able to handle your length than issues with LEOs out there. Now, all this doesn't mean it's ok for you to do this. You already know that. I'm not going to tell you to do it, 'cause I got away with it for a few years and, so has many other folks on here. You'll have to make that choice.

I also ran over weight on the back axle by more than 2100 lbs. and didn't break anything for well over 8,000 miles but, it's not something I'd recommend. Stepping outside the box is something you'll have to decide for yourself. You can be told all the stories on the planet about all the people that have gotten away with it but, it's your butt if you get caught, IF EVER! Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max length varies based on several considerations including but not limited to what type of vehicle consist you have what state you are in and what road you are on.

Some (many in fact) police and all Diesel smokeys carry tape measures. (usually 100' Reel jobs) and I have read in the forums of a few folks getting cited for over length.. Including at least one up-thread of this message. .... Myself.. I have always been shorter than max (By 1 foot at least) so Have not had a problem.

Nor do I suggest you go over either.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

been over 70ft for three years with around 10,000 miles on it and no problems yet. I stay in Fl, Ga, and Al. I may get a ticket one day but that's just life.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Many years ago I drove a camp bus (72 passenger) with a 21' canoe trailer on the back. It was well over the limit, since the canoes then hung off the end of the trailer. Even going through toll booths in Illinois I never was questioned, even when the painted lines in the booth lane showed me over length. Only time I was questioned was a small town cop in Michigan. His comment was that if my rig was any longer, it'd hang out both ends of the town. We laughed, I got our groceries, and we drove on. I think the only time you'd run into a problem would be in an accident.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #11

Almost 200,000 miles and all of it "over length". Never an issue.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
If you ever have an accident, and I hope that you don't, the other party would have grounds to sue you, and your insurance company could give you a hard time. Especially if you KNOW that you are over-length. Why not play it safe?

And BTW, I watched a Florida State Trooper nail an rv driver who was obviously over-length. He got stopped while at a fuel pump. The police followed him in, and began discussions as he got out of the rv.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #13

rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #14

I have to wonder how many people who say they are never over length and advise you to not do it either, don't think twice about running 5-10 mph over the speed limit. If not in their MH, in their car. Over length and over the speed limit are both illegal. Which one might cause more accidents on the road?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote