Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #15

Legal length in most states is 65'. There are even a few at 60'. You can get close to most major centers on Interstates, but there will always be a few miles on surface / local roads that can be challenging to get to your final destination.
As well, there are a lot of older RV parks around that have tight internal roads and turns. We are just under 60' and find it necessary to unhook the Jeep to squeeze MH and toad parking into some spaces.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 06:51 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I have to wonder how many people who say they are never over length and advise you to not do it either, don't think twice about running 5-10 mph over the speed limit. If not in their MH, in their car. Over length and over the speed limit are both illegal. Which one might cause more accidents on the road?
Bingo! Lets add texting/talking on phone while driving, running stop signs & red lights, passing on double yellow line, etc. We are all guilty of breaking the law at some point while driving. Kills me how some make some of these infractions into the sky is falling scenario's.

Bear, buy the MH you want and buy the trailer you want. Enjoy both and have fun. If you get a ticket for being over length, big deal, pay the fine and move on. Your considering spending hundreds of thousands in MH & Trailer, is the slim to none chance you may get a couple hundred dollar ticket really that big of a deal? If it is, then you should probably consider a cheaper hobby.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Bingo! Lets add texting/talking on phone while driving, running stop signs & red lights, passing on double yellow line, etc. We are all guilty of breaking the law at some point while driving. Kills me how some make some of these infractions into the sky is falling scenario's.

Bear, buy the MH you want and buy the trailer you want. Enjoy both and have fun. If you get a ticket for being over length, big deal, pay the fine and move on. Your considering spending hundreds of thousands in MH & Trailer, is the slim to none chance you may get a couple hundred dollar ticket really that big of a deal? If it is, then you should probably consider a cheaper hobby.
What a terrible comparison. I've lost friends and family members to those committing those "infractions". The OP knows the laws and its up to him to decide if he wants to comply. If he doesn't and gets stopped he has to accept the consequences. The ability to be able to pay a fine should have no bearing on the decision to commit the crime. The laws are there for a reason. Not only to protect the OP, but the rest of us also. You cannot regulate common sense. Could you imagine what and how people would driving if these laws didn't exist?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the legal concern about length is for the bridge weights. If you buy a 45' and tow a full size PU you are over length, right?

I would be more concerned about the hassle and expense of a stacker. You can haul your three wheeler and stuff with a much shorter arrangement.

BTW, I would imagine you could get an over length permit as it done all the time. You may have to have a CDL to do that, but it shouldn't be too hard.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Most of the legal concern about length is for the bridge weights. If you buy a 45' and tow a full size PU you are over length, right?

I would be more concerned about the hassle and expense of a stacker. You can haul your three wheeler and stuff with a much shorter arrangement.

BTW, I would imagine you could get an over length permit as it done all the time. You may have to have a CDL to do that, but it shouldn't be too hard.

A few years ago, I checked on an over length permit in WI. I was told that it was available, but only for a business related event and time limited.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yep, I'm over length with my toad in my home state. The biggest hassle for me has been my driveway approach at my front gate. I built the entry recessed about 65 feet, but it is not long enough to pull through, stop, and close the gate behind me. I have to wait until traffic is clear and pull onto the highway to close the gate. It just barely fit for my previous 5th wheel.

I don't think the OP was asking for anyone's approval, just wanting to hear other's experience in towing over length.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
A few years ago, I checked on an over length permit in WI. I was told that it was available, but only for a business related event and time limited.
There you go, no safety concern, just a fee concern.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
There you go, no safety concern, just a fee concern.
Could not have said it better myself. Laugh so hard everytime I buy a permit, pay my $30 and somehow I went from Illeagal to Legal. Vehicle does not change, brakes do not change, load does not change, but somehow $30 makes it all good. Its all about the money, safety is just the excuse to extort if from you.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
Here is your answer if you want to go long. Toterhomes are under different rules. At last here in NC. UP TO 80'.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #24

Quote:
I have to wonder how many people who say they are never over length and advise you to not do it either, don't think twice about running 5-10 mph over the speed limit. If not in their MH, in their car. Over length and over the speed limit are both illegal. Which one might cause more accidents on the road?
Well put, the people who judge often don't have mirrors, it was a fair question, with several good honest responses...
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:03 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
Here is your answer if you want to go long. Toterhomes are under different rules. At last here in NC. UP TO 80'.
Toterhomes have 5th wheels and are considered a tractor. In Texas, there is no length limit on the tractor and no overall length limit. They can tow up to a 59' trailer. Bumper pulls don't count as tractors.

Showhauler Toterhome

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #26

As some have already stated ... there are many folks out there running in the 70' area, we are as well ... If the OP has real concern relating to the law, the state(s) in question should be looked at to see what the requirement is, and what specifically it applies to and go from there .... many times you will find these restrictions are related to commercial vehicles .......
Asking permission to break the law ????

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
My thoughts exactly!
I ABSOLUTELY assure you both that I am NOT looking for any "APPROVALS" here.
I was only looking for individuals histories to know the score of what I would have been getting into.
BigOldBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #28

Cool Thank you to ALL

I believe the comments relative to "IF" I were ever involved in an accident, with injuries, and possibly being liable because of my over-length, nailed it.

I will now ONLY drive legal length, based on my states 65' limit.

Thank you to ALL that have contributed comments.
BigOldBear is offline   Reply With Quote