Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #29

As a trucker, I have to say that these days any truck driver except the very oldest ones (such as I, who got a CDL under a grandfather clause) have been through a written and a road test. At that point, they're every bit as qualified as anyone else who might be new to driving a large vehicle. Experience pays off, of course.

I live in fear of people driving a vehicle nearly as large as my truck, when until that morning the largest vehicle they ever drove was the Buick they're now towing. I hold my breath whenever a motorhome passes me.

I must admit I was unaware of the license requirements for the larger motorhomes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #30

Before we throw rocks at our 18 wheel brethern be sure to check the plates. If they are coming out of Mexico or Canada our CDL requirements do not mean a hill of beans. In fact they do not even have to have a working knowledge of English and the last time I looked the majority of our road signs were in that language.

There is one place that the over-the road trucker has an advantage on us. In most instances he is not going out on the interstates and knowingly be overloaded. The odds are against him as sooner or later he will get nabbed at a weigh station. But, I suspect that some very large per cent of we RVers, be it motor home, fiver or what have you, have not got a clue of their weight be it GVW or GCWR. For example, and I am not picking on fivers, how many times have you seen a 3 axle fiver being pulled by a non-dually pick up truck. I mean come on guys, that fiver manufacturer did not put that 3rd axle under there because he was trying to use up his inventory of axles and wheels. By the same token haven't we all seen the early 90s class C towing a Suburban or a Tahoe.

Ok, I am done soapboxing; but, seriously if we are in a glass house we really don't want to throw stones, be safe out there , Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #31

Just participating in this discussion exhibits more than a modicum of good sense. I've not read a single example of the idiocy that plagues the everyday car driver. Who, of course, plagues we who move the much larger RVs, be it a MH, 5-er or travel trailer.

From simple observation I'd have to guess people enjoying our lifestyle are more cautious and aware of what they are doing than most driving cars. When's the last time any of you saw an RV involved in a "Road-duel"? Generally, we satisfy our urge to fight back by using our horn rather than stuffing our rig in front of an "offending driver" and slamming on our brakes.

Perhaps its just our age that makes us a bit more cautious and courteous.

Disclaimer:
On very rare occasion I've seen a few RV operators having no business doing it or even drawing breath. But, then again, every group has it's a**hole. We are just more fortunate than most only because, percentage-wise, we have fewer.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
.......On the road, you don't always get that might time before someone is trying to run you over. After 30K miles and lots of construction zones, I know where the wheels and sides of our RV are. I just cannot go barreling through a "cattle chute" at 65mph like the cars can.
Lord O' Mery I HATE concrete barricades lining a "SLALOM" course
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #33

I would venture to say that most of the damage done by RVers is to our own vehicles scraping a sign or tree branch - that sort of thing. Out on the highway, some get in the way of traffic if they are driving too slow. I keep my rig at speed whenever possible so as not to be a hazard to other drivers. Most drivers know to give RVs a wide berth - the public perception being that behind the wheel sits an old f##t who is about to keel over any minute. We know this is not true. Just by the nature of our average age and the size of our investments leads us to being careful drivers.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There has been, for many years, a faction in our country that wishes to see older drivers banned from the road..

The reasons they give do have SOME merit, older folks, often have slower response times, their vision is not as good, and they may have other health issues that all affect their ability to operate a motor vehicle.

As I said, these anti-older-driver types have been around a long time and frankly they are not doing well.. IN a few cases they have managed to get some limited re-testing for seniors, but that is about all (I support re-testing for ALL drivers)

So some of them have switched their focus "Well, if we can't get 'em banned all together, let's get them to restrict them to smaller cars only and get 'em out of multi ton Motor Homes"

I'm hoping this gets as warmly received as "Let's ban 'em altogether

You see. There are many things that make a driver better or worse

Alcohol: Some folks, even teens, are already well into alcohol. Now, you all know that driving drunk is bad but did you know that EVERY DRINK slows down your reaction time, Not just for a few hours, but FOREVER. A person who comes home from work, sits down and has a beer, Every night for 30 years, (just one beer) 1:
Never got drunk, 2: Never drove under even a trace of the influence, but.

His response time is greater (Means slower) than someone who, not liking the taste of beer or other alcoholic beverages, choose to have coffee instead.

Illness. Some older folks get sick, Some don't

Mental health and ability (See last line)

and more

The fact is some folks at 80 or 90 are as good as they were at 40

Some at 40.. Are worse than the folks in the last line

But the Anti-Senior" faction want's 'em all banned at ## years, (I don't know how old)

I would like to see 'em re-tested, starting at around `17
Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
I wonder what these folks will do if they make it to old age and become one of the people they used to be biased against.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A very good point Gary.. The kids who want "Old Folks" banned from the road only have wo choices.. Grow up and wish they had not banned elderl drivers

DIE
Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #37

There are some RVer's who don't belong on the road, at the same time I have witnessed some truckers that don't belong on the road either. I find some truckers tailgating me when I am passing another vehicle due to their inpatience and blow by me doing 80+ and go out of sight in a minute. I have never been tailgated by a RVer ever. I consider myself a safe alert driver and cruise with most of the traffic except the idiots out there driving like they are on the autobahn. There are good and bad drivers in every vehicle.
Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob.. You sit there in a 100,000 plus vehicle YOU OWN.. You going to tailgate?

I'm not!

ON the other hand,, If Allied Fright or TMC or _____ Owns it.. that's another story.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #39

i so agree with you on speed, it is the cause of most accidents and if your rving the enjoyment of the country side should be a priorty not just getting to the next destination as soon as possible.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote