Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Richard for an excellent post and links to great resources.

While RVing is generally safe, all owners have a responsibility to inspect their coach for items like obvious wiring issues, leaking fluids and propane smell. Having any type of fire suppression is not only a requirement it just makes sense for them, their family and those camping or parked nearby. It also makes sense to have multiple types of fire suppression and have them located both inside and out where you can get to them or activate them easily. Nothing is more true than an ounce of prevention when it comes to being prepared for a fire.

Thanks again Richard.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #16

Here is a device that will shut off the fuel when a leak occurs. http://www.marotta.com/fluid-control...low-valve.html
If a sudden leak occurs the flow will increase and the pressure will drop, even slightly. This valve instantly closes eliminating the fuel source then an onboard fire extinguisher can have a chance to kill the flames. It can be mounted inline on the supply side of the fuel shutoff solenoid where hard lines exist on diesels or between the mechanical or electric fuel pump and the carburetor or fuel injection pump on a gasser. Either way if the fuel source is closed you have time to escape and perhaps limit the damage.
hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
And you are going to tell me that the little "automatic fire ext.system installed in the engine compartment" is going to do anything at 70 mhp down the road with all the wind in the engine compartment.
Maybe if the extinguishing agent was directly at where the fire started you may have a chance to extinguish the fire.
Yes, sure anything is better then nothing & it certainly won't hurt.
Yes. They work at 140+ mph in racecars. I've seen them used on more than one occasion. I have one in my car.

The goal is not to extinguish the fire, that's where you are wrong. The goal is to give you enough time to get to a stop and GET OUT. AFFF systems can extinguish small fires, but again, that's not the point. I have a 5L AFFF system in my racecar, with a nozzle over the fuel tank, one pointed at me, and two in the engine bay. AFFF is a coating foam that reduces and eliminates combustion by starving oxygen.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Richard

You can strongly suggest reading Mac the fire guys post. I have read it. I have over 32 years in the fire service myself. I never said it is a bad idea.
Yes, AFFF works fine in a no wind situation, If you have ever use AFFF in the wind you will see.
Is it better then nothing? YES, and if it gives you a piece on mind GREAT. If it gives you a little more time to get out, PERFECT. If it puts the fire out, FANTASTIC.
I certainly hope NO one will ever experience a situation that it is needed.
Cucamelsmd15
That is a larger system you are talking about in your car. I did not see any system like that that Mac is selling on his web page.
With the proper equipment you will put out a fire.
Again, I never said it is a bad idea!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Cucamelsmd15
That is a larger system you are talking about in your car. I did not see any system like that that Mac is selling on his web page.
With the proper equipment you will put out a fire.
Again, I never said it is a bad idea!
Of course it is, but its also feeding three zones versus Macs bottle in the engine bay. FWIW, lots of sanctioning bodies only require the 2L minimum bottles.

That said, in a full containment seat surrounded by steel bars, a 6pt harness and a HANS deathtrap, I want every advantage I can get.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Of course it is, but its also feeding three zones versus Macs bottle in the engine bay. FWIW, lots of sanctioning bodies only require the 2L minimum bottles.

That said, in a full containment seat surrounded by steel bars, a 6pt harness and a HANS deathtrap, I want every advantage I can get.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
We were following a Greyhound bus on I-90 a few years ago and we noticed smoke coming out the back. Within just seconds the smoke turned to fire. I blasted my horn along with others cars driving next to him and he pulled over. As the passengers were getting out, the whole back of the bus was engulfed. It was a massive ball of fire within a minute of him pulling over. The passengers lost everything except what they had on them. Don't know if Greyhound has fire suppressant systems installed on their coaches, but if they do it sure didn't help them. It was amazing how fast it went up in flames.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt very much that Greyhound has any fire suppression system other than the required handheld near the entry door.

But they will have their insurance paid up at ALL times.

Their fleet is so old that they could use some new coaches anyway.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #23

looks like he scorched her Beaver. A clean Beaver is a happy Beaver.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Just like playing the lottery. If you don't play you can't possibly win. A fire suppression system may not put out a fire but you may have a chance. However, without a fire suppression system you have zero chance of winning. This is my 4 liter setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fire%20Extinguisher%20Project.pdf (156.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
So you need to add a fire extinguisher system to the engine bay to keep your motorhome from becoming ashes? Is this a diesel thing? I'll pass on this.
If this is necessary I'll take up a new hobby.
hdzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only time I have ever seen a clean diesel engine is when it is brand new and after it has been cleaned. I always used a liquid cleaner and power washer to clean my fathers diesel engine minimum annually to inspect hoses, fittings, gaskets and seals.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
hdzcar,

Would you like to see what happens when a Gasser model motor-home engine goes up in flames? I can dig up plenty of photos from the Internet of both Gasser and Diesel RV's that have had engine fires.

Sounds like you should stick to 5ver's or tow trailers if you don't want the risk of an engine fire in your RV.

Of course NOW you should be aware that whatever TOW vehicle you choose to use could also sustain an engine fire. No one is exempt from this type of hazard.

Do you own a tent? Don't pitch it too close to the campfire!

[moderator edit]

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrtrcr View Post
Just like playing the lottery. If you don't play you can't possibly win. A fire suppression system may not put out a fire but you may have a chance. However, without a fire suppression system you have zero chance of winning. This is my 4 liter setup.
Wow, ZERO chance? If I don't have a fire suppression system, I am guaranteed to die if my engine catches fire?