Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #1

Greetings List, and Happy Holidays to all,

Sharon in TN here with yet another novice MH-er question (I feel like I owe everyone out there a drink for all your help!). I have modified my shop to accomodate my 1997 Dutch Star DP, and now need to set up the proper plug so I can have shore power when needed. My electrician has the proper plug and all that, and I told him I need only 30 amps here at home, and now he asks me: 110 or 220? To which I reply, uummmmmmmmmmmm......

any thoughts on this? Thanks Sharon

2007 Chevy Crew Cab Pick-em-up Truck
tnsharon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #2

Greetings List, and Happy Holidays to all,

Sharon in TN here with yet another novice MH-er question (I feel like I owe everyone out there a drink for all your help!). I have modified my shop to accomodate my 1997 Dutch Star DP, and now need to set up the proper plug so I can have shore power when needed. My electrician has the proper plug and all that, and I told him I need only 30 amps here at home, and now he asks me: 110 or 220? To which I reply, uummmmmmmmmmmm......

any thoughts on this? Thanks Sharon

Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sharon,
For 30 AMP service it is 110V AC.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Here ya go
With photos even
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #5

Not to scare you, but the electrician should have looked on the box that the receptacle came in, or on the receptacle, It will say 125 volt, which depending on which country your in means 110-120 volts, here in the USA it's majority 120.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #6

Dang! Too late! My electrician wired me for 220, and when I flipped the main breaker on inside the MH, nothing happened. Then I flipped on the breaker titled "Lights," and it immediately tripped. Tried the "App" breaker, and it also immediately tripped. Did I stop here and call my guy? Nope, 'fraid not. I went thru the MH again, made sure everything was off including battery power and batt powered lights, and then went thru my sequence again. Main breaker - no problem. "Lights" breaker - I heard a "zzzzzzt" and instantly turned it off. It did not trip itself. I then gave up and called my guy, who came out promptly on this Sunday before Christmas and changed me to 110 V power. We tried to find the problem with the MH but could not, so as it stands now I have one breaker which will not stay on, but all the rest seem fine. My electrician says that his test of the wires to the "Lights" breaker indicates a short to ground someplace, but we aren't really sure where to look for it. He has unplugged all possible appliances (only have the 2 tv's and vcr). I guess I see a visit to the dealer in my future, but thought I'd check to see if anyone had any suggestions of where to look on this 1997 Dutch Star to try to locate my problem. Much obliged, Sharon

PS I think my electrician used the same 3 prong receptacle that used to work for dryers. is that bad? keep in mind how old my MH is...

Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think my electrician used the same 3 prong receptacle that used to work for dryers. is that bad? keep in mind how old my MH is... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The receptacles are different, and I don't think your power cord will fit the wrong one.

Regardless of the receptacle, the electrician goofed.

This happens far too often.

The web site SacsTC mentions is the explanation available of RV shore power wiring.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
125/250V 30A dryer receptacle

110V 30A TT-30 RV receptacle

Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #9

Thanks, Dirk. I do have the correct receptacle, it appears. And yes, my guy goofed, but, to be fair, he asked me and I was no help, so I'll accept a bit of the responsibility. I am now just hoping the result of the mistake won't be too expensive .

My poor DS...it probably regrets the day it met me! sharon

Old 12-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #10

Hey Dirk, Nice rig! What supplemental braking system do you use? sharon

Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hopefully, not too much damage was done.

I use a Brake Buddy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> My poor DS...it probably regrets the day it met me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dutch Stars are like your dogs, they don't carry grudges.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #12

I was afraid that would happen, he's the electrician and should have known better, he goofed big time by not looking at the voltage rating printed on the box and embossed on the receptacle. 240 volts on a 120 volt system not good, can get to be very expensive, Charger/converters or even worse inverters,if so equipt can be fried, microwave, refrigerator, ect. Sorry.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #13

Since it's the "lights" breaker, it could be the converter/charger fried at worst, or if you have any flouresent lights, a fried ballast at best. I don't know exactly on that coach what is on the "lights" breaker.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
This is one of many reasons I highly recommend a Surge Guard on the shore power at least. If this were in the circuit then no damage would have occurred when plugged into 220 volt. I hope that your damages are limited. Good luck.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote