Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MH Tire Life

This has been a subject addressed repeatedly over the years but I just ran into a new kink.

I've always changed my tires on the Trailer and Motorhome every 5 years but now I'm being told as I look at a replacement DP that tire life is now 10 years.

The DP I'm looking at has tires with a DOT of 4511 which I read as the 45th week of 2011 which makes them almost 7 years old. When I brought this to the attention of the sales person and later to the service manager both told me the tires still had over 3 years life BEFORE I should be concerned.

I'm old school so I haven't clinched the deal yet.

Which are we to apply? 5 or 10 years.

Thanks for your input.
rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably 7 - 10 years.. Depending on UV cracking, etc..

I assume since the tires are nearing the end of their life, this is being reflected in the price..

Now might be a good time to negotiate tires... See if they will put some new skins on it, maybe even split the cost..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

Commercial Member

There is a difference between "end of life" and "have them inspected"
The 10 years is end of life. No matter how much tread is left or what they look like. This is because the weakness if any is buried in the tire and is only discoverable with X-Ray or similar very expensive inspection equipment as is used by the truck tire re-tread businesses.

5 years is hwen they need to be completely inspected by a tire dealer. This does not mean a walk around and check of tread depth. A complete inspection would include removing tires from coach and even better dismounting to inspect for damage only visible in the air chanber.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

Agree with... Negotiate for replacement tires now. The 5 year swap has been bogus for a long time, but some still do it, just like the change your oil every 3,000 miles. At 5-7, have tires inspected annually, it’s money well spent versus having a failure. If all looks good at the inspections, it would be fine to keep them until 10 years, but then it’s really time to get new ones, and then be careful what the tire dealer puts on as new.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

The GENERAL normal consensus for RV tire life is 7 years. Michelin states theirs are good for 10. There are thousands and thousands of RVers out there that have ran theirs anywhere from 5-11 years old and never had any issue. But, it's a matter of your own perspective. You may have some that look fantastic at 7 but, you have no idea what kind of core condition any one of the ones you're running on, have. Without some form of x-ray, it's impossible to tell. I recently through away my 6 year old Michelin XRV 255s because of the infamous sidewall cracking and, some odd wear patterns. Everyone's got their own choice but, I will never own another set of Michelins in my life.

So, as for your potential D/P, well, these rigs are heavy, and our roads (all of them all over this nation) are less than perfect and, won't get any better, anytime soon so, I'd think about the safe way out and, maybe go with between 5 -7 years. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

I travel a lot for work and in my quest for a DP I stopped at RV dealers all over the US and found one 35 miles from home, funny how that happens. But back to the topic at hand. I could not believe the things I was told by sales people. 95% of them said you don't have anything to worry about until after 10 years. My favorite was if the MH is kept inside you never would have to replace the tires. Just remember sold for maximum profit means maximum commission. Buyer Beware!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Neither you or the dealer have any idea what care if any, those tires have had for seven years. Without that info, you should assume they were not covered when parked and that they were possibly run under inflated at times. Did they hit a pothole or curb and cause unseen internal damage?? No one can say for sure. If it were me, I would not take the coach unless it had a new set of tires paid by the dealer or the cost negotiated to your satisfaction. If not, every time you are on the road doing 60 mph in 90+* heat, you'll have that nagging thought in the back of your mind, "What if or When will" a tire fail. Replacing tires TOO soon is never a bad thing. Replacing them TOO LATE is always a bad thing
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Neither you or the dealer have any idea what care if any, those tires have had for seven years. Without that info, you should assume they were not covered when parked and that they were possibly run under inflated at times. Did they hit a pothole or curb and cause unseen internal damage?? No one can say for sure. If it were me, I would not take the coach unless it had a new set of tires paid by the dealer or the cost negotiated to your satisfaction. If not, every time you are on the road doing 60 mph in 90+* heat, you'll have that nagging thought in the back of your mind, "What if or When will" a tire fail. Replacing tires TOO soon is never a bad thing. Replacing them TOO LATE is always a bad thing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
X3 on you have no idea of the history...at a minimum replace the front tires and maybe use the best one to replace rear that do not pass inspection. I've gone 10 years on the rear when I've put all the miles on them and use the rig often...only 7 on the front usually putting them on the tag for another 3 years.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought a used coach and the tires were 7 years old but over half worn. I negotiated a new set with the dealer and now won't worry about it.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #11

Michelin extended their tire warranty from 5 years to 7 years for all truck/RV tires in July 2017, effective from date of installation (or date of vehicle registration if it is a new motorhome). Michelin eliminated ozone cracking from the "what is not covered" section.....and in addition, the warranty is grandfathered to tires currently in service (versus starting July 1, 2017 and forward).

If you know the history of the tire, then you can feel confident in at least 7 years of tire life... but I heard someone once say, "A tire is like an elephant. It remembers what happens to it from day one".... if you don't know if it has been overloaded/underinflated, then I would look for trade value at a tire dealer.
Good luck.
PatriciaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Changing tires at 5 years is just throwing money out the window. 7-10 is more like what you can expect if you've taken care of the tires.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard 5 years 7,8 and 10

I do 10
Some states if you crash and the tires are over 8 I'm told there can be legal issues.. Have not verified and suspect it only applies to COMMERCIAL rides not RV's but.. Key words are Have not checked and SUSPECT.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

I agree with the statement of keeping my steer tires less than five years old. I dont mind the rears getting a few extra years on them. You can always keep the fronts for spares. I just dont like the idea of having a front blow out. Could be coming down a mountain or something.