Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #1

Mice

we have aquired some rodents that like to travel with us they hitched a ride from ontario to florida.

we have asked them to leave with bait and traps and some pot pourrie that didn,t work. we have looked for holes that they can use to get in and plug most of them. they are in the ceiling which inaccable. your sugestion would be welcome.
keydawn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Adding more info on your RV will help with getting good answers, that will aid with your problem. ( year , model).

In my coach , access to the ceiling for a mouse would be easy from the power bay , as a large bundle of wiring runs up the wall to the ceiling , so keeping them out of the power bay is important; by packing the gap around the shore power cable with steel wool, same with the water and sewer hoses.

For access to place traps in the ceiling , drop a vent trim , that should allow you to get access to the air gap between the insulation and the roof they're in.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Pull some light fixtures down and place bated sticky traps up there. Replace fixture and check after a couple of days replacing full traps as necessary. We pulled 8 of the critters out of our trailer so far this year.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #4

Make sure you tie some string to the glue trap and something or they may just drag themselves off where you can't get them.
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

When this happens to us a few of the tried and true victor mouse traps baited with a dab of peanut butter takes care of them in short order.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Zow

Forest River Owners Club
My Rv is stored next to a barn ,mice were always a problem, I spoke to a exterminator years ago . He told me to plant peppermint around edge of RV pad. it grows like a weed I have a 8 t0 10" boarder around pad also put felt pads soaked in peppermint extract in air condtioner intakes run them 10-15 minutes every month Rv smells good and no mice for 6 years.It really works.
Zow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Had one riding with us for a while too. Put traps in the ceiling but finally got it in the electrical cabinet. Wires are their primary highway in the coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guess I won't complain about the cat prints I get while in storage. They probably do me a favor by keeping mice to a min.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Adding more info on your RV will help with getting good answers, that will aid with your problem. ( year , model).

In my coach , access to the ceiling for a mouse would be easy from the power bay , as a large bundle of wiring runs up the wall to the ceiling , so keeping them out of the power bay is important; by packing the gap around the shore power cable with steel wool, same with the water and sewer hoses.

For access to place traps in the ceiling , drop a vent trim , that should allow you to get access to the air gap between the insulation and the roof they're in.

If you put steel wool keep it in place with caulk. They will chew through just caulk and can move just steel wool, but the 2 together frustrates them and gets them to go look somewhere else.

If that does not work get yourself a Maine Coon Cat and don't feed it, there won't be a mouse for miles😱
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
When this happens to us a few of the tried and true victor mouse traps baited with a dab of peanut butter takes care of them in short order.
PB is great bait but want to add my tried and true method.

Some times the critters will lick the PB off and the trap does not trigger (this is for the mechanical original traps).

Gummy bears and Marshmallows: melt a little of either onto the bait area and let it harden. Add the PB to this. The mice will try to remove, it is stuck and a sure fire triggering.

Good luck.
Walking Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #11

If they can link the bait and not trip the trap it is bad trap.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #12

TomCat mouse bait/poison in block form may be placed or tossed into hidden spaces and is a certain kill. Mice will get very thirsty and go outside in search of water, where they expire. Active ingredient is Warfarin, same thing humans take for a blood thinner. Mice eat their fill and bleed to death internally, no smell emitted from these expired critters either.
One of our members designed a pet/child proof, self-replentishing bait station for TomCat, if you have either.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:30 AM   #13

We have had the same issue but thankfully it was only the lower drawers. We live in a rural part of Connecticut and mics are a given. We have found that glue traps work best. We use the rat size ones, same thing but bigger. I put a dab of peanut butter in the center.

I would put one or two in a spot near where you think they get into the roof. They will come for the peanut butter. Check it often, once caught they will pull a leg off to get away. If one dies in the ceiling you have two weeks of death smell.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1478353183.019759.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	143564
No mice in my bus
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote