Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Pack rats aren't afraid of anything! We had one in the basement for a few days last summer. Banging the doors shut, walls, etc just wouldn't get it to leave.

Finally, set a trap with PB. It took 2 times before the trap finally stunned it. I opened the basement door and it was just staring at me from 3' away. A forced ejection with the help of a hatchet to the head did get it to leave, however.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Pack rats aren't afraid of anything! We had one in the basement for a few days last summer. Banging the doors shut, walls, etc just wouldn't get it to leave.

Finally, set a trap with PB. It took 2 times before the trap finally stunned it. I opened the basement door and it was just staring at me from 3' away. A forced ejection with the help of a hatchet to the head did get it to leave, however.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
That works too!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:15 PM   #17

At Mount Ranier a few years ago I had caught 15 mice over a 2 week period before finally finding and filling all their entry places with steel wool. A few Glue pads and old fashioned traps worked.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #18

you hear stuff, when we first got our motorhome, it showed evidence of mice. rather than traps, we tried PEPRMINT OIL on cotton balls. and coated the power cord. cotton balls under all drawers ( floor level ) under sinks, shower basin, hot water tank, basement, storage and front where wiring is.. Had the rig for about 10 years, never ever saw a mouse or mouse dropping. And we lived in the northwest where you expect to see at least a dropping or two.. so it made me a believer.
it worked for us, it's cheap, doesn't harm children, pets, environment or the rig.. .
Was told anything aromatic should work...
Apparently it does... :-)
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I count on the rodents bait stations. I put 4 down one close to each wheel they are the large ones that hold 8 blocks each. I live in the country and when fall comes the field mice exits the field and look for a better abode. I also put the around my house. Inside the camper I have about 8 one block stations. I never see any chew marks on the bait in the smaller stations.

But the big stations will become empty if I don't watch them.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:59 AM   #20

Talking Mouses Not Welcome

We decided to go another route. We've posted little signs ("Mice aren't Nice!" and "No Mouse in the House!", etc...) all around the perimeter of the MH.THAT was the easy party. Teaching the little pests to read has been the REAL challenge! (I swear some of them seem to have the attention span of a chipmunk.)

-IndyJim
Old 09-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #21

How Often to re-do the Peppermint oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
you hear stuff, when we first got our motorhome, it showed evidence of mice. rather than traps, we tried PEPRMINT OIL on cotton balls. and coated the power cord. cotton balls under all drawers ( floor level ) under sinks, shower basin, hot water tank, basement, storage and front where wiring is.. Had the rig for about 10 years, never ever saw a mouse or mouse dropping. And we lived in the northwest where you expect to see at least a dropping or two.. so it made me a believer.
it worked for us, it's cheap, doesn't harm children, pets, environment or the rig.. .
How often did you re-do the peppermint oil on the cotton balls?
DrT7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #22

What shall we do when we get our new MH next spring?

As other say, we hate mice.

We are planning to order a new Renegade Classic in a few weeks or months.

Once we get it - allegedly next spring - shall we spend a few hours stuffing every tiny entrance with cotton balls with peppermint oil and steel wool?

We do NOT trust mice - a couple years ago our clothes dryer vent door on the north side of house - the closer door deal got bent and we got 12 mice that came through it and went through about 30 feet of dryer vent and crawled up to the first floor and chewed a hole in the flexible tube going to the dryer - it took a couple weeks but we fixed the dryer vent and caught the mice - ouch
Old 09-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #23

"""How often did you re-do the peppermint oil on the cotton balls?"""

about every ~2 years. let your nose be a judge.
IT doesn't take much. we don't re-do them, we throw out the old ones and install new ones. but I guess you could reload them. :-)

seems mice want nothing to do with any area with peppermint oil..

steel wool is problematic as it gets into other stuff, and like other poisons, the mice have to eat it, then hope they don't die inside the motorhome. that's a whole nuther stink. ..

The peppermint oil seems to work in that they don't even enter any area treated... and it doesn't take much.
I wiped a little it on the power cord, and dump hose as well thinking they may use that for access..
I've been using it here in Yuma to keep pigeons off the eves by the pool... seems to work for them as well....
While it's not permanent, it does seem to work..

Bottom line, for us, it works well keeping the varmint's out, and even if the grandkids pick up the cotton ball and eat it, you won't be calling poison control. or worry about your dog chewing on a poisoned mouse.
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:50 AM   #24

Thanks......I have a couple places to buy oils very cheaply......

Thanks, Dan, I am WTØQ! I buy essential oils from libertynaturals.com in Oregon or newdirectionsaromatics.com in Canada - great oils, small bottles or big bottles and great prices. Blessings.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Peppermint oil works for us too especially in the engine compartment where there is easy access. Haven’t had and pack rats or mice in there for three years since using it.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Mice and rats live in sewers, that aromatic too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #27

Where do you put the cotton balls in the engine area and how many, Fred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Peppermint oil works for us too especially in the engine compartment where there is easy access. Haven’t had and pack rats or mice in there for three years since using it.
Fred - where to you put the cotton balls and peppermint oil and how many? That is a great idea sir.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT7575 View Post
Fred - where to you put the cotton balls and peppermint oil and how many? That is a great idea sir.
I don't use the small cotton balls. Instead I use two long strands of cotton about 18 inches long each that were part of a Christmas decoration for snow. I soak them with the peppermint oil and put them in openings where mice and pack rats had been before a few years ago with their acorns. I get the pure peppermint oil from Amazon. I also put moth ball bags from wall mart directly on top of any wiring. To protect the basement area I use rodenticide also from amazon. Thus far... rodents have not found their way inside the motorhome itself.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mice