Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
JOC1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 148
MICE!!!

Do LED lights around the bottom of your RV really keep rodents away from your RV???

I've found some battery powered devices that work but you need one for each compartment and then there is the on going battery replacements issue (we forget to check them)

How to the LED light strings work??
__________________
2000 Country Coach Intrigue

2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
JOC1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #2
Community Administrator
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 16,054
The consensus and tests have shown that LED lights do not deter mice. Here is another ongoing thread about the same issue.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mou...nt-591461.html
__________________
2017 Phaeton 40IH XSH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS
Previous '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 9,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC1212 View Post
Do LED lights around the bottom of your RV really keep rodents away from your RV???

I've found some battery powered devices that work but you need one for each compartment and then there is the on going battery replacements issue (we forget to check them)

How to the LED light strings work??
No!
LED lights don't do a thing to deter mice. There's quite a few things that DO have at least some affects on mice. One is dryer sheets. Another is Irish Spring bar soap. We just finished up a month long couple thousand mile trip and one night while both of us were sitting opposite each other on the living room couches, we BOTH spotted out of the corner of our eyes, something dart across the living room floor at about 8:30 at night. YEOW!!!!!!!!! What in the he.. was that??????????????

Well, we determined it had to be a mouse or smaller rat. So, we talked with a few folks (and friends) camping near us and the overwhelming consensus was, DRYER SHEETS AND OR IRISH SPRING SOAP. So, what did I do? I got a bar of Irish Spring soap, got my wifes cheese grater our and grated up almost the whole bar and made a pile of grated Irish Spring soap.

I then got her box of dryer sheets out and placed one sheet, with a small pile of grated Irish spring soap on it, in every place imaginable. I removed the lowest drawers in the entire coach and placed them there. I placed them in the lowest part of kitchen and under sink cabinets. I placed them in every single outside compartment. I placed them in the compartments near the entry point of both my sewer hose and shore power cord. I had those sheets with a small pile of Irish Spring EVERYWHERE.

WE have not seen any evidence of any meeses or rat-people anywhere in or around that coach since.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
astrnmrtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,797
No, they don't.

Things like that were covered in our classes (Pest control licensing and training). The info came from people who study such things - experts in the field. While rodents are a pain for us RVers, they do billions of damage world wide every year. If those things worked, they'd be part of standard treatment in professional pest control and every pest control truck would be stocked with lights, smelly bars of soap, and cases of drier sheets. . Believe me, if something so simple could have save me from crawling or climbing in some nasty places, plugging holes, monitoring bait stations, repairing damage I'd have been a over it.

One thing to understand about rodents is they are smarter than you think, and their very survival depends on deciding what is safe, and what is dangerous. They continually evaluate their environment, and while sometimes warry of new things - rats especially - they'll soon learn something like a light, steady, bright or flashing, poses absolutley no danger. Remember, rodents are a problem in industrial facilities where there's light, loud noises, terrible smells. Mice in our facilities didn't have any problem with cycling steam boilers, air compressors and pumps. Many of those rooms were brightly lit. They also weren't bothered by storage areas full of aromatic chemicals and cleaning supplies. It's very common for people to think of things from a first world human point of view. If we don't like something, we avoid it. If our survival was on the line every day, annoyances would just be the cost of surviving.

Re: Irish spring and drier sheets. It's the myth that keeps on giving. We were shown photo in class of mice curled up sleeping comfortably in shredded drier sheets, and contently washing themselves right in front of a ultrasonic pest chaser, and for Irish Spring - note: soap is made from fat and if hungry enough they'll even eat it. See attached picture.

Do a search using the word mice or mice and my screen name and you'll get lot of info. With summer ending, and winter on the way, mouse posts will be seen more and more. The questions are the same, as are the answers.

1st step is the hardest, the least fun but the most effective. Plug the holes. The other two steps are covered in other posts. Good luck.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Tom and Pris M. along with Buddy the 17 year old Siamese cat
1998 Safari Serengeti 3706, 300HP Cat 3126 Allison 3060, 900 watts of Solar.
Dragging four telescopes around the US in search of dark skies.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,283
Everyone has their opinion what does and doesn't work. I've read on here that you can't catch a mouse in a trap that has already caught one unless you wash it but I know in my case I have a couple traps that have caught several mice over the years and I don't wash them so that's a myth too.
I have seen chewed Irish Spring soap as well but it was at least a year old and probably lost any effect it had, same for the dryer sheets but I still use them once in awhile.
In the end you should try to find where they are getting in and plug the hole with steel wool or just seal it if you can. In my case I haven't found the door with the welcome mat for them yet so I use traps for the most part along with the soap and dryer sheets but try to replace them at least once a month.
I use to catch 3 or 4 a week when I moved to my acreage, now its 1 or 2 a month if that. I read peppermint oil worked too so I use that once and awhile too. I never head about the lights so I have no opinion either way on that.
__________________
98 Monaco Windsor
2015 Rubicon Toad
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 27,306
Dryer sheets must repel elephants, there has been no sign on one in our house basement for over 50 years.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 27,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Dryer sheets must repel elephants, there has been no sign on one in our house basement for over 50 years.
OTOH I've poisoned several mice in the basement.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
No, they don't.

Things like that were covered in our classes (Pest control licensing and training). The info came from people who study such things - experts in the field. While rodents are a pain for us RVers, they do billions of damage world wide every year. If those things worked, they'd be part of standard treatment in professional pest control and every pest control truck would be stocked with lights, smelly bars of soap, and cases of drier sheets. . Believe me, if something so simple could have save me from crawling or climbing in some nasty places, plugging holes, monitoring bait stations, repairing damage I'd have been a over it.

One thing to understand about rodents is they are smarter than you think, and their very survival depends on deciding what is safe, and what is dangerous. They continually evaluate their environment, and while sometimes warry of new things - rats especially - they'll soon learn something like a light, steady, bright or flashing, poses absolutley no danger. Remember, rodents are a problem in industrial facilities where there's light, loud noises, terrible smells. Mice in our facilities didn't have any problem with cycling steam boilers, air compressors and pumps. Many of those rooms were brightly lit. They also weren't bothered by storage areas full of aromatic chemicals and cleaning supplies. It's very common for people to think of things from a first world human point of view. If we don't like something, we avoid it. If our survival was on the line every day, annoyances would just be the cost of surviving.

Re: Irish spring and drier sheets. It's the myth that keeps on giving. We were shown photo in class of mice curled up sleeping comfortably in shredded drier sheets, and contently washing themselves right in front of a ultrasonic pest chaser, and for Irish Spring - note: soap is made from fat and if hungry enough they'll even eat it. See attached picture.

Do a search using the word mice or mice and my screen name and you'll get lot of info. With summer ending, and winter on the way, mouse posts will be seen more and more. The questions are the same, as are the answers.

1st step is the hardest, the least fun but the most effective. Plug the holes. The other two steps are covered in other posts. Good luck.
All common sense (and True) answers. Its amazing all wives tales that get spread and repeated for years and years.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:38 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
Everyone has their opinion what does and doesn't work. I've read on here that you can't catch a mouse in a trap that has already caught one unless you wash it but I know in my case I have a couple traps that have caught several mice over the years and I don't wash them so that's a myth too.
I have seen chewed Irish Spring soap as well but it was at least a year old and probably lost any effect it had, same for the dryer sheets but I still use them once in awhile.
In the end you should try to find where they are getting in and plug the hole with steel wool or just seal it if you can. In my case I haven't found the door with the welcome mat for them yet so I use traps for the most part along with the soap and dryer sheets but try to replace them at least once a month.
I use to catch 3 or 4 a week when I moved to my acreage, now its 1 or 2 a month if that. I read peppermint oil worked too so I use that once and awhile too. I never head about the lights so I have no opinion either way on that.
Yep.....agree on all this. I can't tell you what does or doesn't work. Only my experiences. I keep my camper on land during the fall/winter for hunting season along with 2 other buddy's campers. We have all had mouse issues. 1 buddy put solar lights under his trailer and runs night lights in the camper along with traps. He swears it all works. What I know about mice is they don't mind light as much as some think. I've seen them run through a room while I'm sitting there watching TV with all the lights on.
My plan of attack (and the one I'd recommend to anyone) is a multi-prong attack. Every fall I sprinkle shake away (link at the bottom) on tires and around jacks which is like a cat litter with peppermint oil mixed in....at least that's what it smells like to me.That stuff seems to do a decent job and is cheap. I also put out poison in several different areas in the camper plus I keep a few baited traps in there. It seems like I have some success with all my methods but when you stack all those methods it means my camper stays relatively mouse free one way or the other.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...511920&ipos=34
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 9,438
Well,
Whether the dryer sheets and or the Irish Spring soap worked or it didn't, I don't know. What I do know is, in the weeks/months following the initial notice of the varmint running across the living room floor in the coach, we've seen absolutely no indication there's any relatives. There's no poop, no chewed wires, and all things electrically are functioning as they should. And I have checked every cubic inch of inside the coach, inside and out and in every compartment. Maybe the dryer sheets and soap are a wives tail but, so far, we're happy.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 417
Sounds like you are stationary. If so, mice will not cross mint. Grow mint around the entire perimeter around your RV and mice will never cross it. Pick a little for cooking as well.
__________________
Marc
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Honda CRV
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
HighDesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Powell Butte, Or.
Posts: 1,398
It is actually kind of weird. Some years I have mouse problems, other years none, parked in the same spot, This past month, I have gotten 3 mice in the motorhome. I'm thinking I picked them up when I was up in a national forest campground in July. Anyway - mouse trap and peanut butter - gets 'em every time. Tried all the other gee whiz golly stuff, and nothing really worked, or I have dumb mice that don't understand what is supposed to irritate them and make them stay away.
__________________
2017 Tiffin Allegro Red 33AA
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:15 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 278
My brother in law had his Class A stored on an acreage over the winter. He was horrified to discover that pack rats had moved in and taken up residence.
Iím was a real mess you couldnít even see the floor for the poop and stuff they had collected.
It was so bad his insurance wrote it off.
He trapped one of the culprits.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9217.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	374640
__________________
2015 Forester 2801qs
Custom trailer for Hobie and Yamaha
Tombsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
chuckbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Crystal River, Florida
Posts: 1,542
I can tell you that led lights under your RV will repel, or rather repulse your neighbors in RV parks. Chuck
__________________
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34J
Triton V10 Gas
2010 Chevy HHR Panel
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mice



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mice mice mice douginpoway iRV2.com General Discussion 18 05-24-2019 07:44 AM
Using Peppermint to Repel Mice RobinGio iRV2.com General Discussion 15 11-28-2010 06:13 PM
Mice JerryKelly Newmar Owner's Forum 9 01-05-2009 07:31 PM
Mice in the basement MADP 4304 2006 JerryKelly Newmar Owner's Forum 11 11-22-2006 02:43 PM
Best-Laid Plans of Mice and Men ....... DriVer Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 21 10-10-2006 11:52 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.