Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #1

This question might be a bit odd....

A few months ago I bought a 97 DS DP, which I love. I just paid a couple thousand dollars to have my existing shop modified so I can park the MH in the shop, but now that the moment is at hand, I'm worried because I have mice in the shop!

The shop is a metal building with insulation on the inside - but no sheetrock. In the 2 years I've lived here, I had the odd mouse in there - I could tell because my Jack Russell dug into the insulation and fished out the mice. Now that I have the big, big door, however, there is no way to seal this building, and I fear that the mice might damage the MH. (I did have a trailmanor travel trailer in there that was NOT damaged, though I know that at least one mouse passed through it....)

Poison is not an option because of my dogs. Surely someone else has had to protect their MH from mice?? I thought about sheetrocking the shop, but then the mice would have nowhere to go but the MH....so maybe I just leave well enough alone and hope they prefer the easily accessed insulation in the shop walls over the MH? Or do those ultrasound thingys work....?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks much, Sharon in Middle TN

2007 Chevy Crew Cab Pick-em-up Truck
tnsharon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #2

A few months ago I bought a 97 DS DP, which I love. I just paid a couple thousand dollars to have my existing shop modified so I can park the MH in the shop, but now that the moment is at hand, I'm worried because I have mice in the shop!

The shop is a metal building with insulation on the inside - but no sheetrock. In the 2 years I've lived here, I had the odd mouse in there - I could tell because my Jack Russell dug into the insulation and fished out the mice. Now that I have the big, big door, however, there is no way to seal this building, and I fear that the mice might damage the MH. (I did have a trailmanor travel trailer in there that was NOT damaged, though I know that at least one mouse passed through it....)

Poison is not an option because of my dogs. Surely someone else has had to protect their MH from mice?? I thought about sheetrocking the shop, but then the mice would have nowhere to go but the MH....so maybe I just leave well enough alone and hope they prefer the easily accessed insulation in the shop walls over the MH? Or do those ultrasound thingys work....?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks much, Sharon in Middle TN

2007 Chevy Crew Cab Pick-em-up Truck
tnsharon07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 AM   #3

I always put dryer sheets in the motor home and I have not had a mouse yet. Just spread them all around inside and in the storage bays as well.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #4

I had mice in my Phaeton. Dryer sheets didn't work for me. Ultrasound doesn't work either. Poison outside the coach worked. You can buy plastic containers for the poison that mice can enter but larger animals can't. I have both a dog and a cat outdoors.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Along those same lines, I used cut up pieces of a dogs flea and tick collar for mice control in the basement storage compartments. I also use an ultrasonic pest control box. Can't speak to it effectiveness yet as it's new this winter. It was found on the clearance rack at Home Depot for $10 bucks. Black-n-Decker. What the heck for $10 bucks?!
Lt46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #6

Used to have a Pole Barn up north. But I did not have any insulation on my walls. So it was too cold for them in the winter.

Also the horse breeder close by me had a lot of cats. Would see them on the hunt in the fields by me.

I would say get a few cats. But the Jack would run the cats out of town.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tnsharon07:

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks much, Sharon in Middle TN </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poison bait works best. You can buy dog/cat resistant bait stations or just make them yourself with some 1 1/2 inch PVC a tee and one cap. Cut the PVC to one 6 inch length and two 1 foot lengths. Glue the 6 inch length to the middle of the tee and glue the 1 foot lengths to the ends. With the 6 inch part facing up strap them to the wall or fence where the mice run, drop in the poison bait an slide on the cap without glue. The dogs should not be able to get at the bait however the mice will be able to run through and get to it. If you have rats then you may need to get 2 or 3 inch pipe instead. You can remove the cap to check the bait and add more when needed.

Take a red permanent marker, label them POISON and draw a skull and crossbones on them so no one will get confused as to the contents.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Dryer sheets have worked for me over the last 3 years.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always put dryer sheets in the motor home and I have not had a mouse yet. Just spread them all around inside and in the storage bays as well.
Then I save them to clean the front of the MH when needed for bugs just wet them and wipe bugs away works great.
This summber I had a problem with chipmunks I used the pucket of water and sunflower seeds trick .I caught more mice than chipmunks you might try this.
hope this helps George
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #10

Regarding dryer sheets. I've got Bounce dryer sheets all over the place in my mh. I also had mice. Maybe another brand works. I don't know.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #11

Dryer sheet are good. They make good nest material.Traps with peanutbutter don't make good nests but they work.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year we had a peoblem with mice in the MH. I used dryer sheets and moth crystals on styrofoam plates and cured the problem. Mice have already started this year before I got the chance to prepare. Got 3 in traps but now set with the stinky things and no mice yet "He says with fingers crossed"

Lee

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tried dryer sheets, mothballs and the electronic thingy, no luck. We now us a product called "Shake Away", shakeawayproducts.com. It's a powder that is supposed to smell like coyote and/or fox pee. I make 4 little bags out of old nylons and hang one by each wheel. No rats or mice for two years. Hope this helps.

Glenn
Old 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #14

I presume the only way in for the mice is via the tires, so I'd consider putting sticky traps all the way around the tires. If the MH is indoors, that should work. I'd rather not poison them as it's pretty hard on the hawks and owls, and they're on our side.
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote