Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Case made for snap traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
You are right on the money about tying them down. I put out some little sticky traps and some big ones for rats. Well a mouse got in the big one, pulled it under my living room slide out and got stuck there. Now when I put the slide out I get a nasty sticky trail across my tie floor. And yes it is almost impossible to get that nasty sticky stuff up.

I have used dawn, alcohol, paint thinner, and even a stiff wire brush. I can get the first one cleaned up, with a lot of effort, but when I let the slide out again, I get another streaking mess.

But at least it catches mice.

I was at a local RV repair shop and a couple called to see what the damage was to their trailer, as mice had gotten in and ate the insulation off the wires. The RV tech said he hadn't finish tearing stuff out to get to the wiring and he was already 5 hours into it. That is $95.00 an hour for 5 hours and he hasn't even gotten to the wire yet!! Ugh.
Nominefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nominefili View Post
Case made for snap traps

The peppermint oil also works for elephants! I have never had one!
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But it does nothing to stop pink elephants.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #32

I don't know about that! I Never had 1!
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends where you go and what you do....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
The peppermint oil also works for elephants! I have never had one!
Some oils can be effective. Balsam Fir oil is extra repugnant to rodents. Works excellent and smells awesome.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nominefili View Post
But as far as a "trap" goes, yes, snap traps are the best option. Glue traps let them stay alive for long periods after being caught. They make lots of unpleasant sounds during this that I'm sure you'd prefer to avoid. Snap trap is instant death. For long term residents, buy, on Amazon, two Protecta Evo rodent stations and a four pound bucket of Fastrac rodenticide. Both best in their respective classes. Place them outside this coach near the wheels, underneath. This will kill and control rodents outside before they can become an inside problem. Again. I do this for a living lol. Thousands of dead rodents so far haha
So from your vast experience... Any idea if the unpleasant sounds emitted after being caught in the glue traps might be warning cries... Stay away Danger... If so that might act as a deterrent to others?

But OTOH... If it's a cry for help it may bring more in?

Would love to know which!!!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Mice Trouble

I am a certified supervisor for a large pest control company is missouri. I deal with mice on a daily basis so I’ll give my opinions and experiences if you don’t mind:

Oils/repellants/etc do not work nearly as much as you’d like to think they do. Just because you used those and don’t have mice doesn’t mean that’s why you don’t have mice. I’ve seen mice live right next to the ultrasonic things or run around near the oils and not care at all.

Sticky traps only have about 40% success rate. They will easily catch the younger mice, but the older ones are usually a bit smarter than that. Often I have found whiskers stuck in them from a smarter one that decided to go around instead of across. Also they leave the mouse alive for a period of time.

Rodenticides do work, but I see a major issue with using them in or around a camper.... where does the mouse die after it eats the rodenticide? In your wall? In your ceiling? In that hollow space near your water pump that you just can’t get to? If you can’t remove the mouse after it dies, you will have a very unpleasant time waiting for the smell to go away, then you have to live with the idea that there are dead mice ‘somewhere’. I would never use them in my unit.

And finally, snap traps. This is my go to almost all the time. Peanut butter is my preferred bait and has proven very effective. When putting them out in a camper, I recommend using quite a few, in case one or two gets falsely tripped. Also I recommend putting a paper plate or something underneath the trap so if the critter ‘leaks’ after ‘visiting’ then it doesn’t stain your surfaces.

Now all this information is for mice. Rats are a bit of a different story.

I hope this helps someone who is dealing with mice in their rv. Exclusion is also a good thing to do, and what I mean is trying to seal any possible entry point. This is a daunting task, seeing as mice can enter a 1/4 in gap. But a tube of caulk and some patience goes a long way. Crawl around underneath and around the bottom and just try to think like a mouse.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
So from your vast experience... Any idea if the unpleasant sounds emitted after being caught in the glue traps might be warning cries... Stay away Danger... If so that might act as a deterrent to others?

But OTOH... If it's a cry for help it may bring more in?

Would love to know which!!!
I can definitely say trapping a rodent on a glue trap does not deter the activity of others. Hence the ability to catch multiple ones on same glue trap or different catches on separate glue trap.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
This would be true for any trapping method. It's always possible to catch multiple rodents in close proximity placements. And rodenticide certainly has a place as a viable control method, but I agree, using it inside an RV should be avoided. Rodents certainly could crawl into your RV after eating a lethal dose, but the majority of the time my experience shows most baited outside will die outside. If there's an active issue, due to the potential for rodent borne pathogens in such an small enclosed area, all measures should be considered for fast eradication.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO, glue traps aren't the best choice for this, but if you have nothing else, put them out. Then buy something else lol.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamperz View Post
I am a certified supervisor for a large pest control company is missouri. I deal with mice on a daily basis so I’ll give my opinions and experiences if you don’t mind:

Oils/repellants/etc do not work nearly as much as you’d like to think they do. Just because you used those and don’t have mice doesn’t mean that’s why you don’t have mice. I’ve seen mice live right next to the ultrasonic things or run around near the oils and not care at all.

Sticky traps only have about 40% success rate. They will easily catch the younger mice, but the older ones are usually a bit smarter than that. Often I have found whiskers stuck in them from a smarter one that decided to go around instead of across. Also they leave the mouse alive for a period of time.

Rodenticides do work, but I see a major issue with using them in or around a camper.... where does the mouse die after it eats the rodenticide? In your wall? In your ceiling? In that hollow space near your water pump that you just can’t get to? If you can’t remove the mouse after it dies, you will have a very unpleasant time waiting for the smell to go away, then you have to live with the idea that there are dead mice ‘somewhere’. I would never use them in my unit.

And finally, snap traps. This is my go to almost all the time. Peanut butter is my preferred bait and has proven very effective. When putting them out in a camper, I recommend using quite a few, in case one or two gets falsely tripped. Also I recommend putting a paper plate or something underneath the trap so if the critter ‘leaks’ after ‘visiting’ then it doesn’t stain your surfaces.

Now all this information is for mice. Rats are a bit of a different story.

I hope this helps someone who is dealing with mice in their rv. Exclusion is also a good thing to do, and what I mean is trying to seal any possible entry point. This is a daunting task, seeing as mice can enter a 1/4 in gap. But a tube of caulk and some patience goes a long way. Crawl around underneath and around the bottom and just try to think like a mouse.
Good stuff,thanks
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthem16 View Post
Good stuff,thanks
Used glue traps with good success
You have to get them band discard the mice before they can reproduce. Also have to check often because of the odor. Yeah they die a slow agonizing death. I live near open space and my neighbor sprays for rodents. Since I have taken out my BBQ rillAND all food I have a lot less mice. Glue traps also get spiders and flies. With the the snap traps unfortunately you might get tiny specks of blood spatter over your walls, ceiling and furniture. Just saying. Anyone watch forensic files?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Mouse tarp tied to a string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
You are right on the money about tying them down. I put out some little sticky traps and some big ones for rats. Well a mouse got in the big one, pulled it under my living room slide out and got stuck there. Now when I put the slide out I get a nasty sticky trail across my tie floor. And yes it is almost impossible to get that nasty sticky stuff up.

I have used dawn, alcohol, paint thinner, and even a stiff wire brush. I can get the first one cleaned up, with a lot of effort, but when I let the slide out again, I get another streaking mess.

But at least it catches mice.

I was at a local RV repair shop and a couple called to see what the damage was to their trailer, as mice had gotten in and ate the insulation off the wires. The RV tech said he hadn't finish tearing stuff out to get to the wiring and he was already 5 hours into it. That is $95.00 an hour for 5 hours and he hasn't even gotten to the wire yet!! Ugh.
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote