Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

Michelin 235/80 R22.5 Tires

I have the Michelin 235/80 R22.5 tires on my 34' Safari. I want to replace the front tires. Michelin is the only one that makes this tire. I read somewhere that someone else makes a slightly smaller tire at a greatly reduce cost. Do any on you know anything about this? Do any of you have any sort of suggestion? Thanks!!
smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Lots of others make a tire in that size. Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama all have low profile 22.5 steers as you describe. Just look for a 235/75/22.5. For some reason Michelin has a corner on the 235/80/22.5. There is little to no difference between the width of the 75 and 80 in the tire sizes.

That said, I personally will not run anything but Michelin tires on my 18 wheeler, RV, or pickup. The extra price is far and again offset in tire longevity. Nobody out there today make a tire that holds up like Michelin.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
235/80 22.5 is a Michelin size. It is almost identical to the 245/75/22.5 offered by several other manufacturers. Goodyear, Toyo etc.
I replaced my XRV 235/80's with Goodyear G670RV in 275/70R22.5, almost identical in diameter, a little wider tread and a Higher load range. I'm now on my 2nd set and very pleased with ride, wear and traction. Speedometer difference about a tenth mph at 60...
This size calculator will compare all the dimensions of the tire you are considering to your 235's. Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes

Avoid a big change in size or you may have clearance problems in turns (front) or duals rubbing (spacing) as well as speedometer errors. Big sure your rim size will fit the new tires (6.5 to 7.5 inch rim width?)
hope this helps..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can usually save a good bit of money on the Michelin tires by using the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan.

With the plan they are $378 each for the 235-80R- 22.5 , I think.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
You can usually save a good bit of money on the Michelin tires by using the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan.

With the plan they are $378 each for the 235-80R- 22.5 , I think.
Just go 6 for $2770 out the door.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #6

Sumitomo makes a nice tire and the 245-75-22.5 is the same diameter as the 235-80-22.5. I ran them together on the rear. I changed because I had 6 blowouts with michlens with no help from them.
BTBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelin tires are way overrated and overpriced. I put 6 on my previous MH and in three years they were all cracked very badly. They had about 40000 miles on them.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: Where are the Mitchlin's made now days?

How about the others?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
Question: Where are the Mitchlin's made now days?

How about the others?
My 275/80/22.5 purchased in July were made in Canada.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Michelins are 4 years old and have 12,000 miles on them. They are showing light checking on the sidewalls. No more Michelins for me no matter where they are made or how low cost they are.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
Just go 6 for $2770 out the door.
$1,806.55 out the door yesterday for four (I'd gotten two three weeks ago paying full retail of about $620 per). Mine were $10 cheaper per tires than yours.

Any way you count it, it's a great price for the tires I wanted. My previous ones were nine years old, showed no signs of cracking and almost no signs of wear. The only reason I changed them was because an inside rear dually went flat for no reason and when we tried to air it up to see what was wrong it blistered. So I decided rather than to wait another year when they would be 10 that I'd get them now. All were less than two months old.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
My Michelins are 4 years old and have 12,000 miles on them. They are showing light checking on the sidewalls. No more Michelins for me no matter where they are made or how low cost they are.
If your sure your using the correct air pressures needed then I would be paying a visit to my local Michelin dealer. They are good about standing behind their tires.

In respect to the op's question, there are other tire available as already mentioned. When I was faced with having to replace ours I had thought about another brand but then asked myself why did the mfr. of the chassis put these on here in the first place? Well I answered my own question in just purchasing six new Michelin's. Personally I think that if you had a problem while on the road with another tire mfr. (other than Michelin or Good Year) you may have a problem finding a tire to replace it. Not a good situation when your on the road.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires