Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
Has anyone ever had a defective tire replaced by Michelin?
GREGORYJ
I have been working with Michelin Customer Care (866-866-6605) for 5 weeks, (10+ phone calls), about the "warranty replacement" of six 3 year old XZE tires with thousands of sidewall cracks like these:

It appears that Michelin will be covering the majority of the cost of replacements.

The replacements are supposed to be at my dealer around Nov. 17th.
Time will tell......(but I'm not "counting my chickens" until they hatch.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #142

National RV Owners Club
That sound good Mel s. Here is 2 more pictures of my problem tire. It bulge looks
a bit larger than when the first picture was taken.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #143

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Not knowing anything about tires but if I were to guess it looks like the rubber bonding didn't adhere well in that area?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #144

Quote:
That sound good Mel s. Here is 2 more pictures of my problem tire. It bulge looks

GREGORYJ
WOW that is frightening!
If that had happened on the inside of a front, or between the duals, (where it's not easily seen), you might have driven your coach to your death.

Normally I am not a "the sky is falling" kind of guy.... but in your case the sky IS falling!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #145

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Alan partial credit

Yes at the splice location (where body ply application starts & stops) the goal is no open or overlap with probably a tolerance of about 1 cord open to 1 cord overlap.

BUT an overlap of 2, 3 or more cords will cause a thickening and a depression not a bulge out as seen in the picture. The thickening is COSMETIC only.

An open of a few cords is an area of lower strength. This will probably result in a bulge OUT. This is potential safety issue and the tire needs inspection and probable replacement. If judged acceptable by the tire company engineers IN WRITING than I would go with what the ENGINEERS say. I would not trust a dealer on this.

The picture is definitely a bad deal. The cosmetic thickening is what I was thinking of.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #146

Commercial Member

Quote:

Please As Soon As POSSIBLE pull the valve core and let all the air out. If the bulge is growing then you are possibly looking at a failure - RAPID AIR LOSS or possibly explosion in worst case.
This is definitely broken or missing cord and not a "heavy body ply splice".

Since it was not like this when new I would be about 99% certain it is broken cord. RE not remembering what or when you hit something. Few people ever remember every pot hole or piece of road trash they hit. The normal scenario is you see something and try and miss it. You hit the something and momentarily tense up but if nothing bad happens in the next 15 seconds you tend to erase the impact from your memory.

Last Spring I hit something while in my car. I broke the body ply cord.
I wrote about this and have pictures in THIS post. You will notice a similar bulge out. Now the response of Polyester body cord is slightly different than Steel body cord so my bulge is not as sharp as yours but I am also only running 35 psi.
I absolutely do not remember hitting anything with the left front tire but the evidence simply proves my memory is not 100%.

Facts and physical evidence are much better than our ability to remember events. This is one reason "Eye Witness" accounts are many times over-turned when DNA evidence becomes available.