Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #29

I am still curious about the smell thing going on.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't noticed the smell on my Toyo's although I have never really smelled the.

I run Michelin's on my cars but after my MH Michelin's had multiple cracks develop at about 2 years I decided to try the Toyo's. At that time Michelin said they didn't warranty against cracking. Some on iRV2 have posted recently that Michelin replaced theirs under warranty due to cracking.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I too am one who refuses to pay the premium prices for Michelin. Are Michelin good tires? Yes. Are they perfect? No ...just look at all the problems RVers have had with them. Are they worth those premium prices? --or "do you get what you pay for?" I don't think so but it's only my own opinion. Much of the price you pay for tier one tires are advertising and marketing costs and I personally do not believe the extra money one pays for Michelin are only for commensurate better quality.

Put me in the same camp that says Toyos or Hankooks are also good tires for a LOT less money. And pertaining to rolling resistance, I personally do not put too much emphasis on rolling resistance for RV tires as RVs are not driven like commercial trucks where rolling resistance is very important to their bottom line considering the horrendous amount of miles they drive compared to what the average RVer puts in. Again, JMO which doesn't mean much.
you are 100% correct. I will never ever buy Michelin tires for my mh
Nor would I if a had a OTR truck
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Have we all gone crazy?
Well if my DW were active on this forum - she would confirm I did years ago!

Really was not sure what the question is about(?).

I posted info earlier in this thread, my opinion and observations - admittedly as an amateur.

I found this the Rolling Resistance Comparison to be of great help to me. Especially after I feel I was given bad advice from a tire dealer out of Oregon.

Why not use these kinds of tools when they're available. IF rolling resistance, which could equate to improvements in MPG, is important to you - then I submit a person would be crazy to not use these tools!

For example, the M154 (Which was the first tire recommended to me from the Oregon tire dealer. Regardless of my stated request for better riding tires then my existing set, as well as better rolling resistance then my existing set. (They just did not seem to care what I asked for, but pushed IMO the tire that they got the largest profits off of.) has a 23% higher rolling resistance then the set of XZA2's I ended up purchasing from a different dealer. (Now, of course that does not equate to 23% higher MPG. As tire rolling resistance is just one of the many factors on MPG. The driver being number one, and of course punching thru the air at highway speeds being also a larger contributor to actual MPG. But, it does 'help' the overall MPG.

For those that want to use this site's information on Rolling Resistance, great! I've shared it before, and will continue to do so. For those that don't, not going to bother me in the least.

And agree, these threads too often stray from all of us sharing our opinions - to sometime borderline rudeness for those that have differing opinions... Not the norm for this board, so I quite often 'skip' the tire threads!

And that is my opinion. Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Switch to Toyo's 2 years ago! No smell I I know of! Ride seems no different than the Original tires! Saving was worth it!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #34
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Smitty, I hope you weren't offended by my comments about rolling resistance. I thank you for posting that comparison tool. It isn't that I think it's not important. I think it should be taken into consideration. It's just that most of us do not drive the miles commercial truckers do where it IS an important consideration when it comes to fuel economy. For the miles I put on my own RV, rolling resistance doesn't mean as much to me as it's relatively insignificant when it comes to fuel savings. A tire that will give you better MPG because of less rolling resistance is obviously a desirable feature but to pay a premium price for what might be in incrementally small amount of less rolling resistance is not worth it for me all other things being equal. Sure, if I were putting in the kind of miles OTR trucks do, it becomes increasingly important. I appreciate your comments.

select55, I'm glad we agree. I've even stopped buying Michelin tires for my cars. I've always liked Michelin but the last two sets have given me problems which I've never experienced before. Yes, they are highly rated, have excellent reviews, supposed to have much better tread wear, etc., etc. but I personally have come to the conclusion that they are just not worth the premium prices to me. If it was truly "premium prices for premium quality" as they've had the reputation in the past, then maybe. But nowadays, I feel I get just as much quality for much less cost in the second tier category from the Japanese and South Korean manufacturers ...Toyo, Yokohama, Sumitomo, Hankook, Kumho, etc. As an example, I've had a set of Kumhos on my Dodge pickup for over a year now and consider them an excellent tire with very high consumer ratings for almost half the price as the equivalent tire in a Michelin or Goodyear. In all likelihood Toyos will be the next purchase for the RV.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I bought mine at Les Schwab in Oregon. Michelin's quoted at $4100, paid $2700 for the Toyo's.
Something worth noting here is that Les Schwab is a full service tire shop with locations all over the region. Every small town in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and likely many other states has a shop. You just pull in and a guy in the shop drops what he's doing and comes to see what you need. The other side of this coin is that they don't have the cheapest prices so Toyo tires well may be available for even cheaper. I mention this for people doing price comparison.

I buy all my vehicle tires at Scwab but realize I'm paying something for the service. Also, fwiw, I was a life long Michelin fan for my HD truck tires for years but have run some Toyos and am super happy. I can't speak at all to the class A tires but for smaller vehicles the Toyos are great.
mtofell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:42 AM   #36

Replaced sidewall cracked Michellin XZE's with the newer model TOYO M177 as recommended for 40ft DP.. Quieter, lower rolling resistance, and improved fuel economy was noticable immediately. 4000+ miles on tires now and happy with handling, ride, and noise level. The tread is 10mm wider and handling improved. Tire pressure at 100psi = ride quality on our coach. And yes they smelled like a new rubber tire for a couple of weeks. No big deal
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
To add to my previous comment about Toyo's faint manure like smell, I noticed this after
installing them but I had read other comments on this before hand. I have never mentioned this to my wife and she has not commented on it after more than 1 year so I think many people may not notice it.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

If you prefer the Michelin brand, consider BF Goodrich instead. Goodrich is a Michelin-owned brand and the larger sizes used on motorhomes are often the same tire as a Michelin model, produced in the same factory, but with Goodrich on the sidewall and a lower market price.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
love my Toyos
ratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #40

Keep in mind, for those of you with low mileage per year, that the Four D Blue Line Square Tires - due add a safety advantage while parked for long periods of time.

Sure, a bit bumpy while going down the road, and the advantage of square tires while parking (Especially on hills and or slanted campsite spaces.), does come at a cost of a bit higher rolling resistance.

!

We have Yokohama's on our vehicles, and pleased with them. Did have a set of GY G670's on our Bounder, and did well for us, but the gent that bought them from us did say he replaced them early do to rivering. On this coach, we had a full set of Michelin XZE*'s that while rolling resistance was not all that great, were extremely 'robust'. (Have never seen the spec of another tire that weighted as much as these tires did. The extra meat in the sidewall, was substantial. These were 12R 22.5. 6 1/2 years on the last 6 of the 8 we replaced, with no signs of any cracking. (A few surface cracks where the stamping of lets were, but not the cracking that others have had such bad luck to have with many Michelins in the past.) And, we did like, and still run, our 2 BF Goodrich ST230's we had to add about 2 years ago now, due to pot hole damage to two of our XZE*'s. Feel they were a good bang for the buck. And as mentioned, do like the XZA2's, after shifting to 295/80 22.5's.

Hankook's, Toyo's, Cooper/Hercules, Continental, Michelin, etc., etc. - make your choice, put them on - and go have some fun...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:15 AM   #41

Made the switch!

Thanks for all the great input everyone!
I kept waiting for the bad reviews on Toyo tires to come rolling in (no pun intended) but they never did. I realized I'd be hard pressed to find as many positive reviews about Michelins, so I decided to make the switch and DAMN! The Toyos ride is equal to if not better than the Michelins. The rolling resistance data can only mean better mileage than the Michelins. I'll be able to check out the cornering and traction on my trip later this week, but I'm sure I'll have no complaints. Pretty much the only bad thing I could possibly say is that they really do smell like manure. These have an October 2016 manufacture date, so they REALLY smell, but at $1,500 less than the Michelins, I'm sure I can get used to the smell.
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:49 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Thanks for all the great input everyone!
I kept waiting for the bad reviews on Toyo tires to come rolling in (no pun intended) but they never did. I realized I'd be hard pressed to find as many positive reviews about Michelins, so I decided to make the switch and DAMN! The Toyos ride is equal to if not better than the Michelins. The rolling resistance data can only mean better mileage than the Michelins. I'll be able to check out the cornering and traction on my trip later this week, but I'm sure I'll have no complaints. Pretty much the only bad thing I could possibly say is that they really do smell like manure. These have an October 2016 manufacture date, so they REALLY smell, but at $1,500 less than the Michelins, I'm sure I can get used to the smell.
Which Toyo tire did you go with?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote