Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought mine at Les Schwab in Oregon. Michelin's quoted at $4100, paid $2700 for the Toyo's.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Go to FMCA site, and check their pricing on Michelin tires.
It is my opinion that you get what you pay for.......
I have not ever read that there was a better tire than Michelin,
but sure have seen a lot of posts about less expensive tires.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Go to FMCA site, and check their pricing on Michelin tires.
It is my opinion that you get what you pay for.......
I have not ever read that there was a better tire than Michelin,
but sure have seen a lot of posts about less expensive tires.
Even with the FMCA discount, you cannot come close to the price of Toyos. I have had Toyos, Goodyear, and now Michelin. Based on those three brands, I'd go with the Toyo.

If you are a FMCA member, I'd wait until after the first of the year because Continental will be giving a FMCA discount. I don't know how much but I'm sure the tires will cost less than the Michelin. I will be looking at those for sure.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been a Michelin buyer for several sets of motorhome tires. Paid the premium price for premium quality tire. But I think other brands have closed the quality gap, catching up to Michelin. I'll be looking for a set next year - Toyo and Hankook are on the top of my list based on friends experiences and comments here and other forums.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I bought mine at Les Schwab in Oregon. Michelin's quoted at $4100, paid $2700 for the Toyo's.
exactly ;;no sane person that actually had to work for their money would buy Michelin when u can buy toyo which are as good or better for 33% less
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #20

Rolling Resistance Comparison | Michelin Truck

Spaced out on providing the rolling resistance comparison chart...

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #21

Not exactly half but close. The quote for Michelin was $3,500 installed (which I know is high) and the Toyos were $2,000 installed. $1,500 goes a long way in gas.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #22

I too am one who refuses to pay the premium prices for Michelin. Are Michelin good tires? Yes. Are they perfect? No ...just look at all the problems RVers have had with them. Are they worth those premium prices? --or "do you get what you pay for?" I don't think so but it's only my own opinion. Much of the price you pay for tier one tires are advertising and marketing costs and I personally do not believe the extra money one pays for Michelin are only for commensurate better quality.

Put me in the same camp that says Toyos or Hankooks are also good tires for a LOT less money. And pertaining to rolling resistance, I personally do not put too much emphasis on rolling resistance for RV tires as RVs are not driven like commercial trucks where rolling resistance is very important to their bottom line considering the horrendous amount of miles they drive compared to what the average RVer puts in. Again, JMO which doesn't mean much.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #23

My vote goes to TOYO
They are on my coach right now and like them.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:42 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLove View Post
Are you looking for tires Bob? Find me a good price too
Just got 4 each Toyo 154's, 265/75R 22.5, installed, out the door for $1390.00. I furnished balance beads.

Bought at BUYTIRES WHOLESALE in Chino Valley, AZ, (Formally Alverez Tire). (928) 636-1771.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Toyo is an excellent tire and I seriously doubt if you will be able to tell any difference in ride or handling. I'm running Toyo M144's in the 295/80R22.5 size on my front axle right now.

In my opinion, what Michelin does best is effective advertising, convincing people that their tires are superior in all kinds of ways. Like they had invented some new kind of rubber or something, yet their tire specs, warranty, and useful life are no better than any other major tire manufacturer, despute the hefty price.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Rolling Resistance Comparison | Michelin Truck

Spaced out on providing the rolling resistance comparison chart...

Smitty

Have we all gone crazy?
Old 12-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #27

These Michelin vs ???????? tire debates have been going on for decades. The same people comment and support their favorite brand. I'm one of those that like our Michelin's and will stick with them in the future. Michelin is the most common tire to come on new coaches. If something else is so much better, then what better way for the manufacturers to make more profit than to use a cheaper tire?? Even though I quite often put in 60-70 hours a week working hard running two businesses, according to "select55", I'm not sane for buying Michelin tires. Guess I didn't work hard enough for my money to know any better.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Michelin or Toyo

I don't think anyone said better, maybe as good, or can't tell a difference, 1/3 less money.