Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Michelin or Toyo

OK, I've been on every RV blog and tire comparison website on the planet and still haven't found the information I'm looking for, so I decided to come to the experts. The people who have first hand experience.

I have a 2008 Fleetwood Bounder 35h with Michelin 235/R8022.5 XVR's that need to be replaced.
I'm a full timer, so my coach is packed to the gills and I also tow a small car on a dolly. I drive hard and have super-stabilized suspension which enables me to get up and down winding canyon roads at closer to car speeds than RV speeds and the Michelins feel like they're glued to the road.
I love the smooth, cushioned ride and the traction I get from the Michelins, because I drive so much, but what I don't love is the cost to replace them.
My tire guy recommended switching to Toyo 245/80R22.5 M154 tires, and at almost half the price of the Michelins, I'm kind of leaning that way too, as long as I don't have to give up on ride and performance.
I've heard that Toyo tires have a much stiffer/ harder sidewall than the Michelin, which says to me it's going to be a harder and bumpier ride.

Any comments on ride quality and performance, or pros and cons of one tire over the other would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Happy Holidays!

Steve
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

go with the toyos as good or better and 1/2the price
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my factory original Michelin's with Toyo's 4 plus years ago and I don't see any difference in ride or handling. Unlike the Michelin's my Toyo's still look new, not a single crack.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I also switched to Toyo's and found no difference from the Michelin 235/R80x 22.5 and where a great price. The Toyo's I got as replacements where a slightly different size that you mentioned, they were 245/75R x 22.5 M154 and where very close to the Michelin's revolutions per mile, so little or no noticeable speedometer error.. Also they did give off a slight smell (manure like) for the first year that one noticed if close to them but it didn't really both us. Others have mentioned this as well.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I've heard others say their toyos smell like manure too. Don't really mind as long as the smell stays outside!.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

I went from Goodyears to Toyos 4 years ago and like them however they are 19.5. I had them bead balanced and apply 303 protectant and keep them covered when parked. The ride is fine, we fulltime and are packed to the max and our toad is a Jeep Wrangler.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Manure?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my Michelins with Toyo, same size as your tire guy recommended. I don't load or drive like you do, so my info may not apply. I can not tell a bit of difference between the Toyos and the Michelins I had, as far as ride and handling. If I ever have to replace the tires again, I won't hesitate to use the Toyos.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
switched from michelins to toyo M154's on a 2015 holiday rambler, better tire, handles better and carries the coach better.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Manure?

Oh ya I have Toyo's too.

2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

1/2 price for the Toyos I haven't found that big of difference best I can get is Toyo 1/3 less for my size
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #12

Here is a comparison on rolling resistance, from Michelin, but I found it a good tool when we were shopping.

I believe the Toyo M154 would be a stiffer riding tire then your current tires. Not sure if the XZA2 or XZA3 would fit, but believe they too would be less stiff then the M154. Also suspect the XZA2/3 would have less rolling resistance (May yield in a slight improvement in MPG.) then the M154. Noise differences? Surprise, I have no opinion either way on this, as I've driven a grand total of ~120 miles on 6 years old OEM Toyo's, when we first bought out then used coach. I can say that our XZA2 tires are quieter then the XZE* and or BF Goodrich ST230 tires.

Also when shopping, I had many owners that I trust, recommend the Hankook AH12's. If I were not driving on the Michelin's, I'd probably be Hankook's now. AH11's are reportedly well liked too. Just not sure which, if either, of the Hankook's would meet your size noise.

Happy hunting,
Smitty

That being said, the M154 is solid performer, with happy owners.
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #13

My Toyos have been fine at four years. And yes they are a little smelly for a couple of years.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
1/2 price for the Toyos I haven't found that big of difference best I can get is Toyo 1/3 less for my size
Are you looking for tires Bob? Find me a good price too