Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #57
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jpe....Here is a good photo of "rivering". The edge that looks the worse is the outside edge. The "rivering" also causes cupping, just in that one area of tread. Two sets of Goodyears wore exactly like this. Without making any changes to the front end, I installed the Hankooks and they wore perfectly for 30K before I sold the coach. The Goodyear G670 in the photo was run 5 psi higher than the weight chart recommended.

Thanks Don! That proves the old saying "a picture is worth a 1000 words"
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #58
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Talked to the Goodyear factory rep this morning. He says the cause of the "river wear" is failure to rotate the tires. I commented to him that I doubt many MH owners rotate their tires. Am I right?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #59

National RV Owners Club
I think you are correct in most do not rotate RV tires. The rivering on my 670's is similar to the photo provided Dutch Star Don. The cupping on mine was I think a bit more severe. The front tires would make a thunking sound - those were rotated to the rear.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #60
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe.....I had the G670's on the rear of my Monaco. I installed the Centramatic balancers and those rears wore perfectly for 40K miles. The G670's just don't do well on the front of SOME coaches. I think the problem is exacerbated by the Roadmaster chassis, yet some have great luck. Any tire will ride more softly when new, but the Goodyears seem to harden up faster.

I wrote to Goodyear and many others have tried to get their bad Goodyears adjusted, but Goodyear has more reasons why it's the owner's fault than Carter has pills. For that reason, I will speak with my wallet and NEVER buy another Goodyear product. My truck was in need of new tires, I could've bought the same Goodyear tire that it came with it from Chevrolet or spend a few dollars more and buy something else. I spent the few extra dollars.

I know you're having a hard time with this decision and you would hate to buy another brand and not be happy with them. So......go with the Goodyears if you didn't have the wear issue on your coach. If you're still not sure, make the Michellins your second choice.

Lastly, rotating your tires is both impractical and expensive, unless you have a tag axle and can rotate those front to rear. The suggestion you got from the Goodyear rep shows how inept and arrogant they can be when it comes to motor homes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #61

Hey Dutchstar Don I live in the area of so cal where did you get your tires. (hankook). I'm I need of tires. What size did you put on the old dp.
rdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #62
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a place in Simi Valley that sells the Hankooks. I believe the Diplomat had 255/70 22.5. Mine was on 05, they went larger in 06.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #63

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Coming back to the proper subject "Michelin tires"...
today I went to a dealer asking them for a quote for 2 Michelin's 235/80/22,5
btw this is all in CAN $
At $470 a piece, plus $25 for installation & $25 for balancing for each of them, the total with our f... sales taxes comes to $1200. !
One surprising note from the representant, after telling him that the DOT on my Michelin tires was 1008, he mentionned that probably they could clame Michelin for warranty or they might save the replacement of my 2 tires by inverting them from left to right inside out to get the usefull for probably another 3-4 years if the "side wall cracks" were less then some /32 deepness...BTW the tires only have 30,000 milles
So far so good, hopefully it will cost me $100 + taxes instead of $1200.....
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 AM   #64
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
Coming back to the proper subject "Michelin tires"...
today I went to a dealer asking them for a quote for 2 Michelin's 235/80/22,5
btw this is all in CAN $
At $470 a piece, plus $25 for installation & $25 for balancing for each of them, the total with our f... sales taxes comes to $1200. !
One surprising note from the representant, after telling him that the DOT on my Michelin tires was 1008, he mentionned that probably they could clame Michelin for warranty or they might save the replacement of my 2 tires by inverting them from left to right inside out to get the usefull for probably another 3-4 years if the "side wall cracks" were less then some /32 deepness...BTW the tires only have 30,000 milles
So far so good, hopefully it will cost me $100 + taxes instead of $1200.....

Which series Michelin tires do you have?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #65

Gulf Streamers Club
They are XRV Michelin's
Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #66
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
They are XRV Michelin's

I think I remember reading that the XRV series are the ones that have the problem with side wall blowouts!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #67
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm now leaning heavily toward the Michelin XZA2. Someone has said that the Michelin XRV is the only series having the problems with the sidewalls cracking and blowing out. Does anyone know of any problems with the XZA2?

Thank you for your help on this project!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #68

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think I remember reading that the XRV series are the ones that have the problem with side wall blowouts!
Both of my mh where on XRV and I've never had a blowout on any of them since 2001 !
According to the representant, the XZA have a rougher ride then the XRV's !
I'll stick with my XRV's and no way that I'll ever go for Goodyear's.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm now leaning heavily toward the Michelin XZA2. Someone has said that the Michelin XRV is the only series having the problems with the sidewalls cracking and blowing out. Does anyone know of any problems with the XZA2?

Thank you for your help on this project!

Hey Joe,

The XZA2 Energy is what I put on the steer axle of mine. Coming up on 7 years old this fall. No visible tread wear and the sidewalls are perfect.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #70

Gulf Streamers Club
According from the Michelin's dealer, the main reason for sidewalls cracking is the low millage being put on them; they stay put for a too long period and the tires dry out from their oil; another reason is the use of high pressure wash that some people use for cleaning their motorhome.