Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #113

LOL!, I read through these and I get why this discussion drives people crazy. There are many on here that say if you apply 303 religiously, cover them so the sun does not shine on them and park on plywood they will be okay.

Really? There is no doubt that they crack much earlier than other brands if not babied. Now you guys discuss if the cracks are safe enough to run by checking them against charts! Other tires don't crack in 4-5 years like Michelin.

Why would I as a consumer pay a premium for a product that requires more care and has a good chance of cracking early? They are tires period, my only concerns are that they are True, handle well and ride good. Several other brands fit those requirements without the cracks superficial or not. Just saying.

You guy's that have run them for 10-14 years and they looked brand new when you took them off sure are going to be pissed when you drop top dollar for new ones and they look like the OP's in 4 years!

Okay you guy's get back to explaining why Michelin's are the best I will be over here LMAO...
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 07:23 PM   #114

Misleading. DOT code on first tire in video clearly stats 4514. Manufactured 45th week of 2014. Tires should have been inspected by a pro annually starting in 2019. I've had M tires last 10 years. Just follow manufacturers instructions and have them inspected annually after 5 years. Keep all MH tires covered when parked in sunny places and use the 303 after each wash. If mistreated by under inflation then all bets are off.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #115

Totally agree sorta with you Asuperheat but some of us inherited our XRVs when we bought used so had to quickly get up to speed on the cracking issues. I have never bought Michelin new because of their cracking issues. I mean if they have that, what else might go wrong with them? But on the other hand, I drove them until they were 10 years old and didn't immediately get rid of them when I bought the RV and they were 7 years old. The only other tire I've gone 10 years with on an RV were Bridgestones...and without any cracking. Those are great tires.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #116

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Totally agree sorta with you Asuperheat but some of us inherited our XRVs when we bought used so had to quickly get up to speed on the cracking issues. I have never bought Michelin new because of their cracking issues. I mean if they have that, what else might go wrong with them? But on the other hand, I drove them until they were 10 years old and didn't immediately get rid of them when I bought the RV and they were 7 years old. The only other tire I've gone 10 years with on an RV were Bridgestones...and without any cracking. Those are great tires.
We are on our second set of Michlains. Never had a problem or crack. Replaced first set after
7.5 yrs only because wife insisted. Resold tires to oawn shop owner in Orlando for 300 bucks. He even drive iver to puck them up [emoji41]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
We are on our second set of Michlains. Never had a problem or crack. Replaced first set after
7.5 yrs only because wife insisted. Resold tires to oawn shop owner in Orlando for 300 bucks. He even drive iver to puck them up [emoji41]
Your sample size is too small to draw any conclusions about the cracks that I'd say from my reading that most buyers of XRVs experience. Michelin has an entire program set up about it. Diagrams to indicate which cracks are bad, which are OK. Which cracks are to long and deep and which aren't.

They pretty much know about and have known about it for decades from what I read.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:21 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
My current RV had Michelin's all the way around, I bought it this past summer so I also inherited mine. They were so cracked I did not feel safe on them, More cracked than the O.P. one of them also had a bubble in the side wall. They were 5 years old.

Now I don't know how they were maintained prior to me but the RV had 14k miles on it and had been kept inside. Even if kept outside there is no good explanation as to their condition at 5 years and 14K other than a poor quality product in my mind

I have had good experience with Bridgestone, Toyo, Continental and poor experience with Michelin and Goodyear.

Never applied 303 to any of them, never covered any of them, never parked any of them on plywood. Michelin's cracked, Goodyear's were about as round as a egg, Impossible to balance and had bad lateral run out.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #119

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I replaced my Michelins at five and a half years. Plenty of tread left on all eight, but the six 295s had cracked, the 315s on the front had not. I religiously use 303 and cover them in the CG.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #120

Thanks for scaring me into buying some new tires for my 2008 Jayco GreyHawk for the upcoming travel season.
Where are the good tires deals found on the central side of Maryland?
Also, anyone have any recommendations for replacing the Media/Radio/Stereo/Entertain ment Center in the Jayco such as; digital manufacturer, installation insights? I will be replacing it all myself. Upgrading rear view camera also.
Stell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #121

Stell, your phone is your best friend finding tire deals in your area. You have already seen recommendations on this thread for replacement tires from Michelin's that have worked for other forum members. I myself posted how pleased I was with Sumitomo's, formerly Dunlop, both ride and price. If I could've found Hancooks in my area that would've been my first choice. Make sure you ask if prices quoted include installing, balance and new valve stems, for me it added $45 per tire x 6= Ouch!

For the radio combo unit, I too have been shopping around to replace my dual din Jensen in-dash RV212T which is AM/FM, CD, 3 camera monitor. The best price and customer service I found for a direct replacement was at E-Trailer.Com. I did not buy it yet, waiting for warmer weather to also do the install myself.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #122

BINGO I think we have a winner......LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
LOL!, I read through these and I get why this discussion drives people crazy. There are many on here that say if you apply 303 religiously, cover them so the sun does not shine on them and park on plywood they will be okay.

Really? There is no doubt that they crack much earlier than other brands if not babied. Now you guys discuss if the cracks are safe enough to run by checking them against charts! Other tires don't crack in 4-5 years like Michelin.

Why would I as a consumer pay a premium for a product that requires more care and has a good chance of cracking early? They are tires period, my only concerns are that they are True, handle well and ride good. Several other brands fit those requirements without the cracks superficial or not. Just saying.

You guy's that have run them for 10-14 years and they looked brand new when you took them off sure are going to be pissed when you drop top dollar for new ones and they look like the OP's in 4 years!

Okay you guy's get back to explaining why Michelin's are the best I will be over here LMAO...
Old 02-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
BINGO I think we have a winner......LOL
...and the fact that there are so many that have had the cracks says it all. You are gambling if you buy Michelins for your RV. Buying Goodyears begets another type of problem that is well-known.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
...and the fact that there are so many that have had the cracks says it all. You are gambling if you buy Michelins for your RV. Buying Goodyears begets another type of problem that is well-known.
Some are reporting cracks, while millions (like me) aren’t because they don’t have them. People complain when they have a problem (as they should), so threads like these on any forum are going to primarily contain posts from people who have issues.
Speaking of Goodyears, it sounds like their RV tires are ok (they don’t make my MH size) but don’t even get me started about the crap Goodyears BMW put on their cars a few years back that resulted in tens of thousands of blowouts 🙄. Ironically I replaced those with Michelin Pilot Super Sports - great tires. But I digress 😀
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #125

I have had Michelin tire that were excellent and others were terrible. Had a blow out on a three year old with less than 10000 miles on Motorhome. I switched to Toyo. Other Michelin on cars could not have been better.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #126

Seems to be...

Tire manufacturers have some good runs of materials and some bad runs of materials.

Also seems...

That there are tire manufacturers who have less bad runs and some who have more bad runs.

With that said; it seems...

Chose the tire manufacturer and tire model with the best considered opinion you can figure to apply.

So; IMO... Caveat Emptor!! When choosing and buying tires for any vehicle.

Tags
tires