Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Michelin versus Toyo Tires

I know there has been discussion before on this subject but a dealer told me today that the Michelin XRV 305/70R/22.5 were getting to be very hard to find and they were recommending a Toyo equivalent.

What is your knowledge about this subject. Michelin has the name and reputation and we have had good luck with them, but is Toyo just as good at about 1/2 the price?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

Hey Deadeye,

We put Toyo 245/75/22.5 M154's on our Dolphin a month ago and just finished a 3 week 1000 + mile trip. Tires rode as good or better as the Michelin's they replaced. And they were XZE's, not XRV's.

Regards, Howard
Old 10-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No direct knowledge but I have heard really good things about recently made Toyos. I have had Hankook AH-12s for 18 months and they have been great and they are less expensive than Toyos. Ride is very sure and easy.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

I put Toyo on my Dp. Drove about 3k before selling. Would do it again
Old 10-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Replaced 4 rear 22.5's (Michelin) with TOYO's and just finished 7200 mile trip. I could not tell any difference.

Tire shop said delivery was about three weeks for Michelin and would have been over $2500. TOYO's were there next day and cost $1500.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #6

We put Toyo on ours 2 years ago when we bought the rig. They ride beautifully and my brothers the family truckers are impressed with their condition after 10k miles.
We did have an issue at first but once we weighed our rig and used the Toyo inflation chart we were good to go
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

Toyo has been making tires in Japan since 1945, and at their US plant in Bartow County, Georgia since 2004. They are a well known supplier to various auto and truck manufacturers around the world. They are as good as anything on the market. Buy them, you'll be happy!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Toyo has been making tires in Japan since 1945, and at their US plant in Bartow County, Georgia since 2004. They are a well known supplier to various auto and truck manufacturers around the world. They are as good as anything on the market. Buy them, you'll be happy!
Yup, what he said. After exhaustive research we just bought 8 Toyo M144 tires. I would have accepted Yokohamas too, but the Toyos were easier to get.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #9

It seems most people compare price in tires without thinking or understanding tire construction. The Michelins I just installed have 6 steel plys on tread and one steel ply sidewall. No polyester or nylon. This is considered an all steel tire. There are a lot of tires that are a combination steel and polyester and there cheaper. At work we run mixed ply on trucks that don't get close to there gvw but all the flats and tractors are all getting all steel tires and there 100 to 150 more for the all steel.
I just want folks to be informed. If your looking at a cheaper tire also look at the construction. Likely not a problem if your running light.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
It seems most people compare price in tires without thinking or understanding tire construction. The Michelins I just installed have 6 steel plys on tread and one steel ply sidewall. No polyester or nylon. This is considered an all steel tire. There are a lot of tires that are a combination steel and polyester and there cheaper. At work we run mixed ply on trucks that don't get close to there gvw but all the flats and tractors are all getting all steel tires and there 100 to 150 more for the all steel.
I just want folks to be informed. If your looking at a cheaper tire also look at the construction. Likely not a problem if your running light.
Just didn't want IASM to scare everyone about Toyo's. The M154 is an all steel radial. And they're $100.00 per tire less than Michelins.

Regards, Howard
Old 10-30-2015, 06:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in the process of ordering six Toyo m1564 LRG 245/75R22.5
we were quoted a price of 2179. Included is mounting, balancing, new stems, and disposal of old tires and of course 7% tax.

I spoke with the factory folks and they really do not go after the MH market for what ever reason. The do however support the RV and MH markets in areas outside the US. My guess is the had some legal problems a long time ago with Allure MH and decided to not specify tire for RV MH.

They did however get on the only supplier in south Jersey to order my tires and call me back with an email to confirm the price. The customer service person at Toyo also called me back to make sure the dealer contacted me. Everyone also agreed that the tire "stink". This is do to the oils which are used to make the tire flexible.

I was told by an engineer that worked at Michelin, that the tires are all natural rubber and will always get side wall cracks but these cracks do not penetrate the core fabric nor contribute a safety issues. It is my understanding that they should be able to run to the steel fabric. I don't think I want to try it.

Here is one tire I will never buy again. It is a Dunlop. Now this tire is 20 years old and was on my 72 XKE. I noticed rubber on the floor near the tire and found the tire blew apart up in the wheel well overnight. Glad I was not out riding on it. Old tire can look great but be a wreck mechanically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	donlop .jpg
Views:	534
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	110707  
Old 10-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
No direct knowledge but I have heard really good things about recently made Toyos. I have had Hankook AH-12s for 18 months and they have been great and they are less expensive than Toyos. Ride is very sure and easy.
X2 on the Hankook. Put them on went to Alaska and back no problem. BTW always check the born on date an where the tires was built it's all in the DOT number. Some of the M tires are built in China.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #13

I put 19.5 Toyos on my 2008 Damon 38' Workhorse 3 years ago have put about 9,000 miles on them. I cover them when we are parked and use 303 protectant. I like the ride and handling of the tires I had them bead balanced.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Yes those Michelin's XRV tires do have thinner sidewalls that make for a better ride Michelin says.

But after 2 zipper blow outs with them I will never put another set on any RV I own. Even with their higher price doesn't make them the best deal.

OH!! The XRV Michelin has 0 warranty on sidewall cracks that they will probably get.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires