Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2022, 05:47 AM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewaveRV View Post
. . . but there must be a topical coating to keep the rubber flexible & keep the hardening/cracking from happening.
Aerospace 303 blocks the Sun's uv rays. - https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR.../dp/B00KN0UOEE

Welcome to irv2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I have never had a thumping issue on my Toyo's. I wonder if the tire inflation is correct.
There are counterfeit electronics, counterfeit watches, counterfeit handbags. . . could there be counterfeit tires?

Anyone consider Sumitomo tires? I've had 2 sets now and very pleased with both.

- bob
cbr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2022, 06:34 AM   #58

I am sure the "thumping" comment is probably accurate...BUT....I have Michelins on my Corvette (Pilot Sports) and on my Tundra TRD, and our Grand Cherokee toad...."ALL of the "Michelins Will Thump" if sitting for a while. Every one of them....The Vette sits most of the time in the garage and it ALWAYS takes a few miles to smooth out and I hate that "gravel road" feel for a few miles...but it is what it is...when they smooth out...great.
I have been a hard core Michelin fan for prob 40 years...BUT, bought my wife a new Rogue couple of years ago with factory Michelins...terrible and wore out very quickly...replaced with Continental Cross Tours...per TireRack reviews we also found the same excellence with these.
But, I chose Toyo for the 40' DP and and I am VERY happy with them for past two years. Reports (multiples) of sidewall cracks on Michelin scared me off...I feel confident with Toyo. "One persons 2 cents worth" GL
Ttommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:04 PM   #59

TOYO vs Michelin

If I understand part of it, tires made in USA have so many regulations that quality isn’t as good as made from outside, i.e., TOYO
Lola1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola1946 View Post
If I understand part of it, tires made in USA have so many regulations that quality isn’t as good as made from outside, i.e., TOYO
No, not really true.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has a number of regulations for commercial truck tires. It really doesn't matter who the manufacturer might be or what plant that manufacturer produces those tires.

A Toyo will meet the same regulations as a Michelin produced here in the U.S.

...and remember, Michelin is not a U.S. company either. Its corporate headquarters will be located in Clermont-Ferrand France. However, just like any of the other huge tire manufacturers, they will have U.S. or a North American subsidiary.

The Japanese companies such as Toyo, Yokohama, and Sumitomo will all have U.S. subsidiaries just like Michelin. So will Hankook (South Korean company) and actually, so will some of the Chinese tire makers have U.S. subsidiaries too.

A Toyo whether made in Japan or in the U.S. (yes, Toyo does have a plant in the U.S. but currently does not manufacture their commercial truck line there) will have the same quality standards.

Toyo is not necessarily inferior because they are made in Japan compared with a Michelin made in the U.S. They will both meet safety regulations necessary to be sold and used in the U.S.

eta: sorry, I initially misread what you said. But the same general thoughts apply. Tires manufactured in the U.S. are not necessarily inferior because they have more regulations to follow. Yokohama and Sumitomo (both Japanese companies) manufacturer many of their commercial truck tires in the U.S. and they will not differ too much from the quality of a Toyo that is actually manufactured in Japan.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:50 PM   #61

Uniroyal's are a better value and I love mine
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #62

Replaced Michelin with Toyos 4 years ago. Vey happy with them. I use a less common 305 70 size so they are more difficult to obtain at certain times of the year. My tires were manufactured in Atlanta Georgia per the distributor.
On a side note I have just put on a set of centramatics. The coach sets so much that I have had constant subtle vibrations. The centramatics have solved this so far.
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Another here that went from cracking Michelins to Toyos a couple years ago and am very pleased with the switch. Running M137 on the steers and M154 on the drives. I initially had balance beads installed but quickly found out the ZF IFS on our Winnie did not agree with them and had steering wheel shake issues. Had the beads pulled and road force balanced all tires and no issues since.

add: The Michelins always made a weird whining noise on asphalt whereas the Toyos are silent. One thing I always do is when parked for any length of time is put the jacks down to take the weight off the tires. I learned to do this with our previous motorhome that had 19.5s because they would flat spot and with leaf spring suspension, it was quite an unpleasant ride.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #64

Could one of the reasons TOYO is a good product be, that the U.S. has so many environmental restrictions for tire manufacturers and tires made out of country, without all the restrictions, better quality?
Or, is someone blowing smoke?
Lola1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:40 AM   #65

I replaced 6 tires 4 made in japan (on rear) 2 made in atlanta. Installed that way due to newer date code on front. NO difference after 5 years and 40k miles.
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola1946 View Post
Could one of the reasons TOYO is a good product be, that the U.S. has so many environmental restrictions for tire manufacturers and tires made out of country, without all the restrictions, better quality?
Or, is someone blowing smoke?
No, again ...has nothing to do with it at all in my opinion. All major tire manufacturers have plants all over the world, including Toyo, and the exact same product can come out of a U.S. plant as they would from a Japanese plant or one in another country.

Sumitomo is a good example. They are company that has its parent corporate headquarters in Japan. Some of their commercial truck tires are manufactured in a plant in New York. Some are still manufactured in Japan. They should be pretty close if not identical in quality.

Yokohama is another company that is a global and has its corporate headquarters in Japan. Their U.S subsidiary manufacture just about all their commercial truck tires for U.S. use at a plant in Mississippi.

Is a Toyota that is made in Japan better quality than one assembled in the U.S? Theoretically not but arguably has always been up for debate. However, it has nothing to do with different "regulations" being applied in the U.S. plant as opposed to a factory in Japan. Cars coming from Japan do, however have to meet certain U.S. regulations to be sold here. So do tires coming from Japan.

Yes, in my opinion, somebody you're listening to is blowing smoke.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #67

Michelin vs Toyo

We have had 2 RV's since 1998, both were bought used. Both started with Michelin tires, OEM. Both RV's were weighted at all 4 corners and the tire inflation pressure was determined from the Load-Inflation table provided Michelin. The tire pressure is always 2 psi from the desired pressure, but never at the minimum pressure. Both sets of Michelin's tires had side wall failures, one on the freeway and one parked at home. I will never pay for Michelin tires. Though, due to all the positive comments regarding Michelin, my side wall failure could be from abuse by both previous owners, being no fault of Michelin. Its great to have other options, we've been happy with both sets of Toyo tires that replace the Michelin.
Todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd8 View Post
We have had 2 RV's since 1998, both were bought used. Both started with Michelin tires, OEM. Both RV's were weighted at all 4 corners and the tire inflation pressure was determined from the Load-Inflation table provided Michelin. The tire pressure is always 2 psi from the desired pressure, but never at the minimum pressure. Both sets of Michelin's tires had side wall failures, one on the freeway and one parked at home. I will never pay for Michelin tires. Though, due to all the positive comments regarding Michelin, my side wall failure could be from abuse by both previous owners, being no fault of Michelin. Its great to have other options, we've been happy with both sets of Toyo tires that replace the Michelin.
Sorry you had a bad experience. Specific's would be appreciated... Were these the "zipper' XRV Michelins? No question, not a well thought out or produced tire... But of course, Firestone, Goodyear, Dunlap - etc. - have all had some tire models, cars/trucks/trailers, that were problematic...

TIA, as the when the Michelin Tires are problematic comments are made, I personally put the XRV into a different category, then others... It's 'The Other's', that will impact Tire Buyers today, as XRV's are no longer available.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:25 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Sorry you had a bad experience. Specific's would be appreciated... Were these the "zipper' XRV Michelins? No question, not a well thought out or produced tire... But of course, Firestone, Goodyear, Dunlap - etc. - have all had some tire models, cars/trucks/trailers, that were problematic...

TIA, as the when the Michelin Tires are problematic comments are made, I personally put the XRV into a different category, then others... It's 'The Other's', that will impact Tire Buyers today, as XRV's are no longer available.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty, To the best of my recollection both sets of Michelins were XRV.

Todd8
Todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #70

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I'm coming up on 8 years on my Michelin Energy 295/80 R225 dulies. Base on info here and elsewhere I'm considering Toyo M144 tires. They are about $300 each cheaper. I have had excellent service with the Michelin's and have 2 newer ones on the steer tires. Any opinions?
OPPINION MICHELIN'S:

I do not know about the larger tires, but for 16.5 duals, getting rid of the Michelins was a blessing! My rig had an issue of rocking from side to side when on unlevel surfaces, like pulling out a ramped drive onto a busy road. No, shocks were not the issue.

I replaced with Yokohama tires, solved the mushy sidewall for this tire size.

Tags
michelin, tire, tires