Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Michelin XZE or XZA2 Energy

Goodyears are 8 years old, so I am thinking of replacing all 6 on my TropiCal with Michilen. I would like to see if anyone has had experience with either of these 2 models and what balancing method they used.

I have read a ton of blogs and there are as many pros as cons about Bead balancing vs lead weights. Being a newbie to MH's I am in a learning stage.

I also understand one of the issues with bead balancing was leagage and glogging in the stem cores usuing the Equal brand, but htis may have been corrected using a newer brand called CounterAct.

Also, thinking of using the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program, to save on this HUGE cost.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've never bothered to balance the rear tires on a MH, just isn't necessary especially with Michelins. I always have them use the standard weights on the fronts.

We have 275/70 22.5 XZA2-Energy LRJ's on the front and XRV 305/70 22.5 LRL's on the front.

Used to have 275/70's all the way around, did lose a little steering precision with the larger tires on the front. Needed the larger tires to make full use of the front axle rating.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just replaced my goodyears. Installed Mich 275 80R 22 1/2 on MH. Bought the XZA 3 Plus tires. They are H rated, speed to 75 MPH. True 16 ply tire. Used weighs to balance front tires. Didn't balance rear tires. Used the FMCA advantage program. Savings was signaficant. Look carefully at the tire rating. Some are only G rated for 65 MPH. And check the MFG date. mine were July 2012. The ride is terrific. They appear to track well. tread is a bit square where the rubbeer meetss the road. The GY were kinda rounded and the contact pact was about 3/4 of an inch less than the MICh. I looked at TOYOs. GY, several chineese brands. but, when I figure they atre going to last 5 to 7 years and 50,000 miles the savings didn't amount to much for a tire I never heard of. Good 'shopping ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have one year old XZA 2s that have the Equal. I've put about 7.5K miles on them and I'm happy with the tires and the balancing. No problems whatsoever.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just replace all 6 with Michelin. 275/80 22.5 XZE2 LRG. Priced and compared Goodyear, with FMCA, saved 50 +/ on each tire. Front balanced with the equalizer. Handles great. Tires came off had an 04 date. the installer "said" no problem with the equalizer, and would replace any valve stem that became bad. Easy to say when I am here on Long Island, and not in Colorado!!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #6

Michelin XZA2- Energy tires

We installed Michelin XZA2- Energy 275/70/22.5 tires using the FMCA Program. After 3500 miles across twelve states with all types of roads we are pleased with them. The J rating allows us to run a lower pressure for a softer ride. All six wheels were balanced using weights. The coach tracks better and has a more solid feel than with the Good Years which were only four years old and 14K miles.

Walter Furniss
2007 Discovery 39V
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
We installed Michelin XZA2- Energy 275/70/22.5 tires using the FMCA Program. After 3500 miles across twelve states with all types of roads we are pleased with them. The J rating allows us to run a lower pressure for a softer ride. All six wheels were balanced using weights. The coach tracks better and has a more solid feel than with the Good Years which were only four years old and 14K miles.

Walter Furniss
2007 Discovery 39V
Thank you Walter...sounds good to me.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Just replaced my goodyears. Installed Mich 275 80R 22 1/2 on MH. Bought the XZA 3 Plus tires. They are H rated, speed to 75 MPH. True 16 ply tire. Used weighs to balance front tires. Didn't balance rear tires. Used the FMCA advantage program. Savings was signaficant. Look carefully at the tire rating. Some are only G rated for 65 MPH. And check the MFG date. mine were July 2012. The ride is terrific. They appear to track well. tread is a bit square where the rubbeer meetss the road. The GY were kinda rounded and the contact pact was about 3/4 of an inch less than the MICh. I looked at TOYOs. GY, several chineese brands. but, when I figure they atre going to last 5 to 7 years and 50,000 miles the savings didn't amount to much for a tire I never heard of. Good 'shopping ed
Thank you EDALLSAILS.....Quesion? I just printed the FMCA list and did not see the XZA 3 Plus tire listed? Is it that different from the XZA 2?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've never bothered to balance the rear tires on a MH, just isn't necessary especially with Michelins. I always have them use the standard weights on the fronts.

We have 275/70 22.5 XZA2-Energy LRJ's on the front and XRV 305/70 22.5 LRL's on the front.

Used to have 275/70's all the way around, did lose a little steering precision with the larger tires on the front. Needed the larger tires to make full use of the front axle rating.

Thank you Mr_D....I also like the Banks kits..thats my next project.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Just replace all 6 with Michelin. 275/80 22.5 XZE2 LRG. Priced and compared Goodyear, with FMCA, saved 50 +/ on each tire. Front balanced with the equalizer. Handles great. Tires came off had an 04 date. the installer "said" no problem with the equalizer, and would replace any valve stem that became bad. Easy to say when I am here on Long Island, and not in Colorado!!

Thank you Tom...I lived in Copiague till I was 11 yrs old. Small world.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Did the same thing with the same tire last fall, only balanced all with beads. Couldn't be more satisfied with the tire or the FMCA deal.
mineralslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #12

We had 8 12R Mich XZE* tires installed when we bought our coach. All 8 were balanced. We added Centramatics to front/drive/tag positions.

Tires should last between 5-7 years, so the costs spread out - and the ride is as smooth as glass, if the roadways are.
Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
re XZA2... think they have been replaced with the 3#
Old 09-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We did the same thing in April. Have almost 4000 miles with no problems. Did not balance the rear tires per dealer recommendation. Have noticed no vibration or wear problems.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote