RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Michelins VS Continental Tires

Folks, have any of you switched tires from Michelins to Continentals on your MH? I needed new tires back in Dec to make a trip, but could not find Michelins anywhere around where we live. I ended up having Continentals installed on our MH. We have always ran Michelins. Since running the Continentals I have seen a change in psi and tire temps going down the road on my TST monitor. I also have noticed a difference in handling in slight winds that I didn't have with the Michelins.

Here's my question== Is there anyone on here who has experienced a difference in handling by going from Michelins to Continentals on your Class A MH???

We have a 2001 National Tradewinds model 7390 with a 300hp diesel pusher.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Had to replace the 4 year old cracking Michelin... put Continental on and if anything they ride smoother, unbalanced.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

We have 2 Michelin tires on the front of our Newmar Ventana LE, and 4 Continentals on the rear, and have seen no problems on either end of the coach.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

I went from older michelins to HSRA2 SA 275 r 22.5's and ended up with a smoother more stable ride. I also went up one size weight rating so I ended up with more reserve on the axle weight. I am happy with my tires and have no plans on going back to Michelins.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ran a set of 4 Continentals on the back of my coach for 6+ years and was pleased with them. It's a top tier brand.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Folks, have any of you switched tires from Michelins to Continentals on your MH? I needed new tires back in Dec to make a trip, but could not find Michelins anywhere around where we live. I ended up having Continentals installed on our MH. We have always ran Michelins. Since running the Continentals I have seen a change in psi and tire temps going down the road on my TST monitor. I also have noticed a difference in handling in slight winds that I didn't have with the Michelins.

Here's my question== Is there anyone on here who has experienced a difference in handling by going from Michelins to Continentals on your Class A MH???

We have a 2001 National Tradewinds model 7390 with a 300hp diesel pusher.
Have you weighed the coach lately? Then I would check the tire pressures based on Continentals charts. If you're using the old pressures from your Michelin tires, you could be way off.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Then I would check the tire pressures based on Continentals charts. If you're using the old pressures from your Michelin tires, you could be way off.
Best to use Continental charts, of course, but as long as the tires are the same size and type, there won't be any significant difference between the two brands. Both companies are members of the Tire & Rubber Association and their tires meet the TRA & FDOT standards, so the inflation is going to be near-identical for a given load & size.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

Two thoughts-
1. Did the tire technician put the same air pressure in the Continentals? when you change air pressure, it's a good practice to change it in increments of 5 psi, so you can feel the new ride and handling, especially in turns/cloverleafs.

2. What is the difference in tread depth? If the Michelins were worn down, and the Continental Tires have taller rubber, you may feel a "squirrely" ride, until the tires wear out some.

The change in tire temperature... what are the two tread designs? You may be seeing the difference in casing construction... Michelin tires are known to by fuel efficient and running cool. Are the air pressures increasing higher than 10 - 15%?
PatriciaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #9

Either brand is great. Continentals are just fine. I used to build those tires when it was General Tire. Quality was the issue if you wanted a job and good pay.
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #10

Yeah check charts per weight .Like other poster said taller tread but many others have reported a looser feeling in new tires for 1000mi or so until broke in.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Had to replace the 4 year old cracking Michelin... put Continental on and if anything they ride smoother, unbalanced.
Ditto, Continentals on the front, not available for the rear, put Toyos there. Anything would be better than the early life cracking Michelins.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

"2. What is the difference in tread depth? If the Michelins were worn down, and the Continental Tires have taller rubber, you may feel a "squirrely" ride, until the tires wear out some."

This is solid input, and can be very relevant to the difference if 'feel'. A few thousand miles can make a difference.

You did not mention the Continental tires, are the tires installed appropriate for Steer position? (I've seen some shops, during tire shortages, put tires not appropriate for Steers on unsuspecting RV owner's coaches...).

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #13

the Continental tires are as good as the Michelins at half the price. I ran Continentals for millions of miles on my Kenworths before I retired without any issues
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #14

I needed new tires on a 2005 Monaco Knight 40' and didn't care for the price of the Michlins. Owner of Tire Service Center recommended the Hankooks as a replacement. He had already re-shoed several big rigs in the area with the Hankooks and received nothing but positive reviews.
I pulled the string not wanting to wait a week for the Michlins and boy am I pleasantly surprised. Not only are the tires comfortable and responsive, they are al most half the price.

2005 Monaco Knight 39
2016 Cadillac SRX toad.
Cajun Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michelin, tires