Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #1

Michigan friends!

To all of my Michigan friends and anybody else who might know, have you ever run a class A motorhome through the Tunnel of Trees AKA M119? The little woman and myself and three dogs are doing a color tour through the U.P. and would like to take in the Tunnel if possible. 38ft MH and dragging nothing. Would try this on a week day if at all. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Truckerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have driven that route several times in the toad. I recommend against it in a Class A unless you want trees to scratch up your motorhome. Also it is very narrow and twisty and sometimes challenging even in a car.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #3

I would avoid it. Too many twists and turns. The road is narrow and trees are within a few feet of the road. I've been through it more times than I can remember (just this past weekend) and it gets tight in spots when 2 cars pass each other. I wouldn't do it.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I, too, have been through it in the toad & wouldn't recommend doing it in a motorhome. You'll come away with quite a few scratches if you do.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #5

It could be done and I have seen UPS delivery trucks on that road. Having said that, it would not be a relaxing drive for the MH driver. Just rent a car for the day from Traverse City.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It was a great ride on a motorcycle, but I wouldn't take my motor home through it.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #7

Petoskey has an Enterprise car rental, use that!!
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

I looked via google sat view at the road. Looks like the only real tree covered road is about two miles long? And from the map, the road really doesn't look that tight.
We just got back from Yosemite...I would say those roads were pretty tight for a long RV or bus.

So, more first hand details - do you have a lat / lon of where the "bad" spots are?
Certainly will be making this run next year (assuming it's passable without damage).
Old 10-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I looked via google sat view at the road. Looks like the only real tree covered road is about two miles long? And from the map, the road really doesn't look that tight.
We just got back from Yosemite...I would say those roads were pretty tight for a long RV or bus.

So, more first hand details - do you have a lat / lon of where the "bad" spots are?
Certainly will be making this run next year (assuming it's passable without damage).

Hey neighbor (Attica), take a run up there now, you are not that far away. You can go to Google Maps for Harbor Springs and go to street view and you should be able to follow the road all the way through. Right now it is showing a summer scene with green trees, it would be better with a fall view.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4664...thumbfov%3D100
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

I did it once. Bad mistake. The low branches can tear up a lot of things and will scratch the crap out of your motorhome. Very narrow down to one lane in places.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

The road is narrow. Notice that there's no center line in the videos. There is NO shoulder at all. Also, there are several 90 degree curves where the elevation changes in the curve.
It's a lot of fun to drive fast in a car (heard that from a friend) but a pickup camper is about maximum vehicle size. OTOH, it's your RV, up to you. You have been warned.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #12

County Road 58 in the UP through Pictured Rocks Lake Shore is one of the prettiest drives I have taken and was motor home friendly. Pierce Stocking scenic drive at Sleeping Bear Dunes has motor home only parking spaces.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #13

I'll take that as a big No.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post
I'll take that as a big No.
Probably a wise choice.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote