Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Microwave Oven

I amon a mission to relieve my DW of some stress. She enjoys cooking almost as much as I enjoy eating, but recently the Sharp microwave/convection has developed a problem. Need to replace, so wondering if anyone had found a replacement that fits the space?

Russ & Lois
2008 Monaco Dynasty
2013 Ford Flex
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a GE Advantium. DW likes it better than old RV oven. We haven't found anything it doesn't do. I think it could drive if you program it right!
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had an Advantium in the last two MH's. Late DW wouldn't have anything else.
They don't like MSW inverters though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Sharp still makes them - it's a standard 850W household micr/conv oven. I bought mine at Home Depot. They are pricey and make sure you have a friend there to help. Make sure you look at the outside of the box for the place to cut it - it's used in the installation (actually I used it to drop the old also).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When we bought our coach new in 2014, it had a cheap microwave that was in the middle of a recall. I didn't like it, so I replaced it with the same Sharp Carousel we had in our 2005 Diplomat. We always liked how the Sharp worked. In 2014, we paid $450.00 for the new Carousel.

I'm guessing your current Sharp is running 59 seconds and shutting off. This was a common problem with the Sharp Carousel and is easily repaired with a new timer.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does the Sharp stop after 59 seconds? If so it is a very common problem. It's a switch causing it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #7

I am not sure about the timer, but the temperature is not right. Seems to be a new problem.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Angry

Yes, Home Depot has or can order the Sharp 1875. It's the updated version of the 1820 and it not only fits in the available space, you don't have to change the back mounting plate(which comes with the new unit) if the old one is in good shape.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a note - if it's an over-the-range microwave it's most likely a standard size: 30" wide. Pretty much ANY brand will fit, so long as it's an over-the-range unit. The only thing you need to be concerned with is the venting - you can get a new unit that is ventless, top venting, or rear venting, to match what's currently installed.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Just a note - if it's an over-the-range microwave it's most likely a standard size: 30" wide. Pretty much ANY brand will fit, so long as it's an over-the-range unit. The only thing you need to be concerned with is the venting - you can get a new unit that is ventless, top venting, or rear venting, to match what's currently installed.
You also need to replace the mounting plate if you change brands. That is a huge job. My coach had a Sharp and the mounting bracket has at least 25 fasteners holding it to the wall.

I bought a Whirlpool to replace it and when I took the old Sharp off the wall I decided to just go and buy another Sharp that would fit the bracket already on the wall. I would recommend that you do the same. Makes it a 15-20 minute job.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #11

If I can find a sharp, I will. Seems the one currently in place is no longer available, and its replacement is difficult to find. I have been on line looking for one locally (Katy, TX), but not yet had any success.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
You also need to replace the mounting plate if you change brands. That is a huge job. My coach had a Sharp and the mounting bracket has at least 25 fasteners holding it to the wall.

I bought a Whirlpool to replace it and when I took the old Sharp off the wall I decided to just go and buy another Sharp that would fit the bracket already on the wall. I would recommend that you do the same. Makes it a 15-20 minute job.
Ours was a Sharp, if I recall, and we replaced it with a Frigidaire. The mounting bracket was riveted to the wall studs and I didn't really want to drill out rivets and replace them. I placed the new bracket against the old one and saw that it was real close - I ended up having to trim two of the "ears" on the old one by about 1/4" to make it fit. A few minutes with my handy Dremel with a cutoff wheel made the new oven fit perfectly on the old bracket! I figured that cutting a total of 1/2" off wasn't going to significantly weaken the bracket, and it's held up under the pounding we get on these California goat trails they call highways...

The oven we took out was discontinued many years ago, and we couldn't find another of the same brand (I'm reasonably sure it was a Sharp) for anywhere close to what we paid for the Frigidaire, and the Frigidaire was the same size, with a higher output, than the original so we went with it.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you remove the microwave make sure there are two people there. That microwave is heavy and bulky.

On my Monaco there were several bolts on the top of it. I had to unstaple the floor of the cabinet overtop of the microwave to remove it.

I suggest you remove the microwave and then look for one that will go in that spot.

Good luck!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave