Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

Mid-Range New or High End Older

My wife, our three dogs, and myself have started full-timing about six to nine months per year as we use the RV as a base for work. We are both in our mid-fifties and intend to continue this lifestyle for the foreseeable future. The RV we have now is fine and there really isn't a reason we couldn't keep it indefinitely, but at the same time I think about moving to something newer.

Here are two ways I'm thinking about going. Option one would be to buy a new or almost new high-mid level coach like an upper end Tiffin or Newmar every three to five years, always having a warranty. Option two is go with a six or seven year old Prevost or Newell and just be willing to lay out money for repairs, remodels, and upgrades as they come. That is to say that conceivably we could some day end up with a 20 year old coach and a completely new interior.

I won't say finances don't enter into the equation, they do. But more importantly is keeping something nice and dependable, with a minimum of headache.
2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

Gee, I wish I had your dilemma. I can't see myself upgrading every three to five years!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

You need to look past the bling and be focused on what each coach has. Are they all electric? LED lighting is wonderful. Induction cook tops, heated floors, flat screen TV with surround sound, hydronic heating, number of slides, and most importantly the floor plan.
A Phaeton, Tour, or similar is going to last a lot longer than three to five years. Then again, every year brings new innovations and you simply may want to upgrade every few years.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is absolutely no financial savings or justification for those kind of upgrades. Number one, every three years take one year to get the new coach " straightened out".
Talk about headaches!

That is the biggest drawback. Find something you love, and stick with it.

You say financial matters are a consideration. Why suffer the biggest financial setback in a coach, which is depreciation.

Again, find something you love and can afford.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #5

prevost no question. the best of the best...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #6

High end used as you can see from my signature.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #7

I say dump that piece of crap Country Coach you have. I'd be willing to help you out and take it off your hands.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=airduds;1991194]My wife, our three dogs, and myself have started full-timing about six to nine months per year as we use the RV as a base for work. We are both in our mid-fifties and intend to continue this lifestyle for the foreseeable future. The RV we have now is fine and there really isn't a reason we couldn't keep it indefinitely, but at the same time I think about moving to something newer.

Oh NO.....sounds like you got that "something newer syndrome" sickness. Car, boat, and RV salesman love it...and depend on it. Just like other illnesses, it's going to cost you. But if finances are kind of taking a back seat....I say go for it and satisfy your craving. Myself, I try to wash my hands often to keep that dreaded sickness away!!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #9

Stay with something older and high end. I bought a 98 Country Coach and love it. It may not have all the bling like the newer coaches but I do not require bling. Its built like a tank and holds up to the everyday use that comes with fulltiming.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Went from a 4 slide CC to a 42' Dynasty with all options and 3 slides. It was two years older and better mileage and a lot smoother to drive. The real reason the layout was a lot better to live in 7 months of the year.

I have helped fix bosses newell and his friends Prevost and I will happily stick with my Dynasty and put up with cost of maint on the aquahot. again and again
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would think that if you bought either a Newell or a Prevost, the purchasing condition is going to be very high, which probably means you won't need to lay out much for fixes.

Owners of those coaches don't abuse them I'm sure.

From what I understand, the Prevosts are rock solid
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #12

The idea of getting a new coach every 3-5 years just screams "your going to lose your shirt" in depreciation. If finances are not a huge issue and from that base plan, it sounds like you can afford a pretty nice coach on the front end, I would say buy the highest quality coach in a floor plan you love, either new or a year or two old and then ride it out, repairing and upgrading as you need to every 5 years or so.

You can add a lot of new comforts and upgrade/replace a lot of old technology for what you would lose on trading in a 5 year old coach every 5 years and buying new again. In that case your losing in depreciation and again in markup/profit you'll pay for the new rig, Doubling the financial hit.

Just the eliminating the aggravation of spending the typical first year getting the bugs worked out of a new coach every five years is worth something if your goal is "keeping something nice and dependable, with a minimum of headache."
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote