Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #1

We're thinking with the market the way it is we might want to start looking for an upgrade so I'll take any reasonable advice or direction you care to give. We have a 2002 Southwind 32VS with 15,000 miles on it. Since it has always been parked under full cover you can imagine what it looks like. Since we bought it, work and other things have been (fortunately) very busy which keeps us close at the beach or in the desert where we frequently take the off-road toys. I've known the rig inherently needs some upgrades, but after a 700 mile trip without a trailer up the coast, I don't like it on the road much by itself. We love most of this MH but we may start looking for the weird one that will work well for us.

I first saw a Nimbus. Later at another show we saw an Alpine. Not sure who else makes or has made the 34' pusher but that's our ideal. We need to get a bigger (and heavier) toy trailer. This will mandate a short coach with a 15K hitch capacity. I know this type is not too common and very expensive which is why we would like to find some preowned. I think the towing capacity will rule out the entry level product which is fine because we need both the 15K and something that we can begin to take on some long trips unhitched. Based on our recent trip in the 32VS, I now know what road manners are not.

A strange request for a strange use I know. I guess that's why they all built so few. In any case, are there other "real pusher" brands out there at 34' and should I be looking for one anywhere in particular?
Jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #2

We're thinking with the market the way it is we might want to start looking for an upgrade so I'll take any reasonable advice or direction you care to give. We have a 2002 Southwind 32VS with 15,000 miles on it. Since it has always been parked under full cover you can imagine what it looks like. Since we bought it, work and other things have been (fortunately) very busy which keeps us close at the beach or in the desert where we frequently take the off-road toys. I've known the rig inherently needs some upgrades, but after a 700 mile trip without a trailer up the coast, I don't like it on the road much by itself. We love most of this MH but we may start looking for the weird one that will work well for us.

I first saw a Nimbus. Later at another show we saw an Alpine. Not sure who else makes or has made the 34' pusher but that's our ideal. We need to get a bigger (and heavier) toy trailer. This will mandate a short coach with a 15K hitch capacity. I know this type is not too common and very expensive which is why we would like to find some preowned. I think the towing capacity will rule out the entry level product which is fine because we need both the 15K and something that we can begin to take on some long trips unhitched. Based on our recent trip in the 32VS, I now know what road manners are not.

A strange request for a strange use I know. I guess that's why they all built so few. In any case, are there other "real pusher" brands out there at 34' and should I be looking for one anywhere in particular?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #3

Gulfstream made a 34' version in the Sun Voyager model line. They all came with 5.9 Cummins engines, some with 6 spd. Allison transmissions, others with 5 spds. All have 660 ft/# of torque.

Country Coach has the Aspire and Affinity that I think are/were both available in a 34', as well as Alpine, Monaco, Beaver and others. It really depends on your price point.

Re: the 15,000# hitch, you will have to either build it yourself or have it built. I would use heavy wall (1/4"-3/8") rectangular tubing and build a sub-frame that bolts between your existing frame rails and extends as far up towards the front as is feasible (the further the better) It also will need substantial cross bracing. You are also talking a class IV drawbar (solid 2-1/8") with HD weight distributing bars and a receiver tube with a 3/8" wall, preferably seamless tubing.

Any hardware must be grade 8 at the least, possibly grade 10.

Your trailer should have at least dual 10,000# electric braked axles and invest in a Prodigy brake controller for the coach.

It isn't too hard, just a lot of work and some materials. If you do not have the tools and skill to fabricate this, make sure you find a really good certified welder who understands this type of issue. Weld penetration, metalurgy, yield and stress, as well as adaptive design skills are all very important here.

Good luck in your search. There are a lot of smaller ones out there. You just have to be patient.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #5

Here are some more. Repos might be a great way to save even more.

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2007-COACHME...TRY-354-MBS-93237211

http://www.commonwealthboatbrokers.c...y.asp?vID=5763

http://www.commonwealthboatbrokers.c...y.asp?vID=5725

http://www.commonwealthboatbrokers.c...y.asp?vID=5756
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago made 34' DP but stopped for a year or two and have one back for 2009 with a full wall slide. Like quikduk said though you will not get a 15K hitch capacity. Friends have an '06 34' Journey that is pretty roomy.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #7

We like ours..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #8

I never thought much about a Winnebago product, I guess because I don't know much about them. I looked around online at some Meridians like yours. They look really nice. I like the 350HP, 10K hitch and the real aluminum wheels. I'd like to get the gist of the Winnebago vs. Itasca model lineup for 34' pushers. Should I post something on the Winnebago forum?

Could we come check yours out sometime?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jimco,

While you're looking, don't over look the 36' Phaetons by Tiffin. You might even consider a 40'. That extra 4' can make a lot of difference while living it, and no appreciable difference driving it. Sure have enjoyed mine.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar has a couple of really nice 34' coaches that are well priced for equipment offered, both standard and options. They are in there Ventana DP product line, 350HP Cummins ISBXT with 760 ftlbs torque, Allison 3000MH 6 speeds, rear radiator, excellent fuel mileage, 28K GVW, 38K GCVW.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spikester:
Newmar has a couple of really nice 34' coaches that are well priced for equipment offered, both standard and options. They are in there Ventana DP product line, 350HP Cummins ISBXT with 760 ftlbs torque, Allison 3000MH 6 speeds, rear radiator, excellent fuel mileage, 28K GVW, 38K GCVW.

Spike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. I looked at them but I don't care for the floorplan because there isn't enough seating and the Cummins has lower torque than the Meridian Cat C7. I'm still looking for others.