Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

Miramar 35.2 vs. ???

Over time we've gravitated towards this floor plan. The only reservation is the dual dump, which I don't know why they couldn't consolidate into one to keep life simple.

We've been told to look instead at the Tiffin or Newmar gassers but DW and I keep coming back to the 35.2 floor plan.

The 33.5 would have been a close second if only it had a bigger TV across from the sofa or theater seating but anyway we understand it's been discontinued and not amongst the 6 floor plans available for 2017/2018. Really like the 18 upgrades.

Looking for alternatives and please, diesel is not an option. Have also looked at the Winnebago Sightseer 33c and 35g.
Any and all opinions more than welcome!
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #2

My vote is for the Miramar 35.2 if the price is favorable.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

That is a nice floor plan! I have found that the Thor coaches have the floorplans that work best for my family. And the interior colors are the best IMO. I too am in the hunt. Looking at the Challenger.
Best of luck. I've been reading these forums extensively. I've seen alot of the anti-Thor people on here. I liken it to the "anti-Ford" or "anti-Chevy" people. I don't doubt the experiences these people have had with Thor. But what I do doubt is that other manufacturers dont have the same issues or similar ones. There is an RV dealer that just moved into town a year ago. I've heard that they are selling rv's like crazy. Then I hear from another person that their service isn't worth a crap. This isn't a localized issue apparently.
Regarding the Miramar, what cabinet/interior color would you get? I love the Pacific Cherry hardwood!
RManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #4

Our last MH had dark cherry cabinetry like the Milan Cherry but the wife now would like something lighter so we are more inclined to go with the Resort Cherry cabinets and the Rip Tide interior. Exterior would be Crimson Quartz. While 2017's are going for a good price compared to the 2018's at MHSRV, we really like the new upgrades on the '18's with the induction cooktop, really large screen in dash and others.
According to "everyone" our last MH was not worth the materials it was built with but we certainly got a lot out of it and Forest River was more than excellent with support after original dealer went out of business, fixing things under warranty even after the warranty period expired and being very generous.
I only would hope that Thor is the same and, truth be told, they all have problems to a lesser or greater degree, gas or diesel and once you've decided on the power, for us at least the most important thing is a floor plan we can be in love with and the 35.2 is it. The only "complaint" is that it has two drains with only one bath and I think it's a nuisance but that's the only reservation we would have. We're lucky in that La Mesa and LazyDays, plus many others here in FL will hopefully be able to compete w/MHSRV when the time comes. Regarding reading the Forums... my DW says I'm addicted and, you know what? She's right!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #5

Just picked up a 2017 Miramar 35.2 (3/16/17). Spiced Delight/Milan Cherry/Rip Tide (colors).

Only option was 12v ceiling vent/fan.

VERY limited time in it thus far, 10 miles of driving, pre-delivery inspection. Doing a local quick weekend trip for "shake-down".

Things found/noted during pre-sale inspection that made it onto the "punch-card".
-Entry door closure needed adjusting (too much play).
-TV cabinet needs adjusting, top on "disappearing TV" doesn't align well when down.
-Broken tab on storage door strut (propane storage door).

Previous RV's were:
2009 Ford E450 based class C w/V-10 5-speed.
2008 Gulfstream Super C KODIAK w/V8 Allison transmission.

Got rid of E450, too small, didn't like driving dynamics including high revving V10/5-speed. Traded in SUPER C as it is a bunk-house model (kids moving out soon), is a TRUCK and rides like it, and never used it to its capacity.

limited driving impression of the F53 w/V10 and new 6 speed BUT it seems MUCH better than the E450 w/V10. RPM stays below 3000 with adequate acceleration. This will be tested a little more this weekend. AND, taking road trip from MD to FL next month, will have more to report back after that.

LOVE the floorplan of the 35.2. Its a little tight with slides in. Bathroom door can hit the fridge if not careful (installed bumper on fridge).

Will have more to report after the weekend.
stvdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #6

I too found the dual GRAY TANKS a bit odd. I like the added capacity, but why plumb two separate discharges? I now have to buy an adapter to link the two hoses together and it will take a few mins extra setting up and taking down. Only thing I can think of is it saved them a few bucks to build it this way OR it eliminates possible backups/clogs?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvdman View Post
I too found the dual GRAY TANKS a bit odd. I like the added capacity, but why plumb two separate discharges? ...

the reason is engineering - you have a kitchen sink, in a slide, on the opposite side of the coach from the bathroom.... it's probably not a realistic floorplan option if you had to have both drain into a single tank.
After 60,000 miles, I would actually appreciate two separate tanks - it gives you more options, especially if you are off-grid for any time, or a SP or NP campgrounds without sewer at the site.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
the reason is engineering - you have a kitchen sink, in a slide, on the opposite side of the coach from the bathroom.... it's probably not a realistic floorplan option if you had to have both drain into a single tank.
I have a kitchen sink in a slide and a bath in a half in a holiday rambler with a single grey tank in the center of the coach with no issues, everything works great.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #9

right, but your bath and kitchen sink may be on the same side, or right across from each other on the same tank, but the Miramar has a bath that is not.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
right, but your bath and kitchen sink may be on the same side, or right across from each other on the same tank, but the Miramar has a bath that is not.
Yes I have a 1/2 bath on the same side but I also have a full bath across the back of the coach with the shower on the other side along with a double vanity on the back wall of the coach, I have one 58 gallon grey tank in the center of the coach. I also have one black tank but the two toilets are on the same side of the coach
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvdman View Post
Just picked up a 2017 Miramar 35.2 (3/16/17). Spiced Delight/Milan Cherry/Rip Tide (colors).

Only option was 12v ceiling vent/fan.

VERY limited time in it thus far, 10 miles of driving, pre-delivery inspection. Doing a local quick weekend trip for "shake-down".

Things found/noted during pre-sale inspection that made it onto the "punch-card".
-Entry door closure needed adjusting (too much play).
-TV cabinet needs adjusting, top on "disappearing TV" doesn't align well when down.
-Broken tab on storage door strut (propane storage door).

Previous RV's were:
2009 Ford E450 based class C w/V-10 5-speed.
2008 Gulfstream Super C KODIAK w/V8 Allison transmission.

Got rid of E450, too small, didn't like driving dynamics including high revving V10/5-speed. Traded in SUPER C as it is a bunk-house model (kids moving out soon), is a TRUCK and rides like it, and never used it to its capacity.

limited driving impression of the F53 w/V10 and new 6 speed BUT it seems MUCH better than the E450 w/V10. RPM stays below 3000 with adequate acceleration. This will be tested a little more this weekend. AND, taking road trip from MD to FL next month, will have more to report back after that.

LOVE the floorplan of the 35.2. Its a little tight with slides in. Bathroom door can hit the fridge if not careful (installed bumper on fridge).

Will have more to report after the weekend.

Please keep us updated on your impressions. Will be very much welcomed!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:46 AM   #12

Appreciate the report and love an update on impressions too.
RManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #13

We picked up our Miramar 35.2 on 2/4/17. Been on 3 trips so far and the only negative thing is having the 2 grey tanks. I had to buy a "Y" adapter and 2 more sections of hose. I am still trying to figure out the best way to have the drain hoses hooked up. Previously on my other RV I had one hose and a graduated hose guide for draining. The problem I have now is when I drain one tank it backs up into the other hose. I am thinking I need 2 more graduated hose guides but they need to be higher than where the "Y" connects and feeds into the single hose. Other than that everything on the 35.2 is just what we wanted !!
ronmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:11 AM   #14

First quick trip out and in the books!

The Good:
-Driving dynamics are as good as hoped, if not a little better. There is some sway, not unexpected, if anything, a little better than expected. Will complete the CHF when convenient. Power delivery was perfectly acceptable. Transmission performed very well and seemed very well matched to the tune of the V-10.
-Floorplan is just what we thought, spacious when slides deployed, a little tight with slides closed.
-Storage- Inside storage adequate for family of 4. Outside storage accepted all we had with two compartments still empty and nothing in the pass throughs, so lots of room left there.

The "Bad":
-water heater was still by-passed. Had to remove access cover under bed and open supply/return lines.
-Entry door latch needs adjusting. have to "slam" door to get latch to catch.
-bottom of screen door rattled like crazy (fixed with rubber shims)
-Front window drop down screen would lightly bang against A-pillar cover constantly while driving in the up position. fixed with adhesive felt bumpers.
-Leveler control. This COULD be user error. When I try to "auto-level" the front levelers drop, raise the front tires off the ground and that's it...I have to manually control it to get it right.
-One storage bay door latch will stay in open position (no spring back). Have to push it "in" then close door.
-One storage bay door strut broke off at the coach frame connection (looks like corrosion, no others were the same)
-Top cover for "disappearing" TV does not fit flush.
-Cant get air into the rear inner tires. Something to do with the "new" style extenders they put on. Was told I need to use a combo air chuck/pressure gauge to fill and check tires as the same time....and TPMS sensors WONT work. ( I don't like this, I was planning on getting a TPMS sensor kit and the REAR INNER TIRES are the ones I am most concerned with)

The UGLY:
-GFCI would "pop" every time I plugged ANYTHING into outlet over kitchen countertop.

-The REALLY UGLY:
Kitchen sink drain line disconnected under the washer/dryer cabinet. There is a flex hose that goes from outside wall of slide to a riser coming up from floor. The flex hose disconnected from the slide hard pipe fixture, this allowed water to flow freely from the sink drain to the outside from the inside the slide. No water entered the interior BUT it sucked. I reattached to hose with some rubber pipe adhesive..... thought all was good. Pulled the slide in and noticed the flex hose connections come right together (hard pipe on slide wall and hard pipe riser coming up from floor) pinching the flex pipe at the connections pretty severely and allowed a new water leak, again, water went outside (thankfully). This WILL NOT WORK. This is why the hose came off in the first place apparently. This is the one I am most disappointed in as I was worried about water lines, drain line, gas lines, and electrical lines inside a slide the moves...I was right to be concerned.
Unit goes BACK in next Monday to have a washer/dryer installed and those drain lines in the same area re-worked. I requested to get a good look at it all when complete as Im pretty familiar with it now and DO NOT want that to happen again. don't know if glue is the answer for the flex hose connections...

Overall, we still like it. Get these things fixed and keep an eye on things as I become more and more familiar with it.