Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Might work better for you if you loosen the arm and swing the mirror head forward so that you are viewing it thru the windshield, same as your passenger mirror.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some coaches do not have the long arm on the drivers side mirror. Some do. Some have fixed short arm mounts.
I've been working with Ramco for about a month to come up with a replacement set of mirrors for my new coach.
The extended arm mirrors forward of the windshield are much, much easier to view, creates a lot less neck "rotation" & "strain" too.
I believe the solution for the "OP" is to loosen the mirror head mounts and adjust the "head" portion itself!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Just a thought, but perhaps those "less than helpful responses" worked for those who made the suggestions, on their RVs. There are plenty of different style mirrors on these things.
...I was going to say something similar but you beat me to it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #18

Jabber Jaw is correct. In the picture there is an set screw showing. Use an Allen wrench to loosen the set screw, adjust the mirror, then retighten. Should be as simple as that.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbhein View Post
Jabber Jaw is correct. In the picture there is an set screw showing. Use an Allen wrench to loosen the set screw, adjust the mirror, then retighten. Should be as simple as that.
nope.

Man I really appreciate everyone trying to offer solutions that must work on just about every other platform. Unfortunately the Velvec mirror system that Thor chose for the Venetian lacks any of the adjustability everyone is suggesting. The mirror housing mount shaft is secured in a machined collar with an aligning plate. There is NO GIMBAL ACTION. the housing can be rotated but not tilted.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1576531163

Additionally The PS mirror is set out as far in front as possible. It too, only allows me to see the pavement because even at full up adjustment the flat mirror is aimed that way.

I seemed to have accomplished nothing here but further frustrated myself and angered a lot of well intentioned people. Maybe I'll just delete this post tomorrow.

To top it all off (assuming I don't ghost ride this thing off a cliff to put it out of my misery) I plan to replace the driver seat with a pneumatic Seats Inc. truck seat soon, like I had done in my previous coach. Why you ask? Because at full up seat adjustment, the seat still isn't high enough for my liking to provide proper thigh and knee support. Never been a fan of FlexSteel...I miss my air ride seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noGimb.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	269637  
BlueWaterSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
After looking at the posted pictures, those do not look like RAMCO mirrors. The mirror head is not something they show, and the mirror arms look different too.
"OP" should get in touch with THOR and find out the manufacturer, then contact them.
Or possibly, buy a complete mirror kit from RAMCO & replace everything, probably at a cost of between $1,300-$2500.
Good Luck!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
The mirror head should be adjustable....

I ran into this same situation on my old Mallard Class A, my not-quite-as-old Holiday Rambler, and on my current 2015 Coachmen Mirada.

The mirror head is mounted on a ball and socket type joint, and the whole head can be tilted. Loosen the allen screws that hold the head in place, then tip it a bit in the direction you wish. Tighten the screws again and use your mirror adjustments to set the mirror as you wish.

I've attached one of your pictures with a text box showing what I'm talking about.

Safe travels, and maybe we'll meet out on the road sometime.

OOPS! Boy is my face red! Looks like you just discovered this won't work on your rig. Sorry!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_3883.pdf (103.3 KB, 75 views)
mappleg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #22

I have the same mirrors and you are right in that there is no mechanical adjustment up and down, only right and left.
One thing I have noticed is that if the mirror is near the max right or left angle in the housing, it won't rotate up as far as it will if it is in a center position. I would suggest you set the electric adjustment so the mirror is even with the housing on each side. Then loosen the screws and mechanically adjust both mirrors so you can see down both sides of the coach, & tighten. This will place both mirrors in their center position and allow for maximum "up" rotation. Your pictures about #4 & 6 make it look like the mirror housing angles are way off.
I haven't had a mirror housing apart so I can't give any suggestions about the internal workings.
The possibility of moving the mirror arm around front is dictated by the location of the front "A" pillar. Some coaches have a wrap around windshield and a more rearward A pillar, so an up front mirror works. Other coaches like mine have a flatter windshield and the A pillar is more forward so the up front mirror location won't work.
Another more challenging task you might try is to get inside the front cap, loosen the four bolts while someone on the outside rotates the arm up as much as possible, then tighten in the more up position. There's likely some slack in the bolt holes that would allow some adjustment. You might do this from the outside if you take the arms out of the mounting base & remove chrome cover.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #23

How to explain ?? On my mirrors when the electrical adjustment isn't high enough I go out to the mirrior glass and with light pressure force it up to align the amount that the motor can move it.
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #24

This is not intended to be addressed to the OP but as I've pointed out on other threads, one clue on whether you have a Ramco or Velvac (the two most prolific and primary manufacturers of motorhome mirrors) is that:

...Ramco puts the head mounting in the middle of the mirror using a "ball" mount, and

...Velvac's most current models will have the mounting of the head in an offset position

Ramco generally also has the adjustment capability that the OP may find suitable in that as others have pointed out, the mirror head can have the swivel capability allowing an adjustment so that mirror head can be tilted up or down to accommodate exactly what the OP would probably like to achieve with his Velvac mirror that doesn't have that capability.

If you watch the video below at 13:01 to about 13:58 it will be apparent how much more a Ramco mirror head can be adjusted (a Velvac doesn't have that capability) to accommodate a higher or lower viewing area. That's why I mentioned in my previous post that the OP might want to consider using a different manufacturer (replacing the Valvacs with Ramco mirrors).

Since I drove transit buses decades ago, I often considered replacing the Velvacs on our Winnebagos with the old-style Rosco mirrors we used on buses back then as we could manually swivel the mirror head to suit any driving position as the head was also mounted on a ball ...to see the old Rosco bus mirrors go HERE --but aesthetically it would look awful.

...watch starting at 13:01 to 13:58 to get the idea of how a Ramco mirror head can be adjusted up or down

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramco - mount on head is in the middle and on a ball.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	269677  
Attached Images

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
If the mirrors on your coach are made by "RAMCO", there is an adjustment under the mirror head, at the end of the mounting arm. There are from 1-3 Allen head screws that need to be loosened, the mirror head adjusted, & then retightened!
I have schematics which Ramco sent to me, & all of their mirror heads have what I would call a "gimbal" at the base of the mirror, and the mount arm has a "Cup" inside it, which the gimbal sets in. Try loosening the screws and adjust the mirror head at its' base, up & down. Then manually adjust head at the base for rotation, right to left. And lastly, then use your built in "electric" adjustment for fine tuning.
If that doesn't work, then call Ramco...(800) 321-4819......and they can help you.
Opps...if not RAMCO mirrors....then find out the manufacturer, and call them!
Good Luck!

You sir are beyond help... as stated multiple times, THE MIRRORS ARE NOT RAMCO.
BlueWaterSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at your pictures, the passenger mirror arm is forward of the RV's front. The drivers mirror arm is back like a cars mirror. The manual that someone posted on page 4 say it the arm is shipped in the inward position and to loosen the set screw to adjust. Is it possible to move the arm forward like the passenger side to see if it changes the angle view?
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #27

I have followed this thread from the beginning and understand the OP's frustration. All I can add for the OP is to try the suggestion of moving the arm forward and see if viewing through the windshield is of any help. If not, then you might consider replacing just the heads with a different Velvac model, like the one with a convex on top as well as the bottom. If that's not feasible/practical, then replacing the entire mirror assemblies with a brand that allows for up/down head adjustment is probably the only permanent solution.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #28

So, without the OPs mirror being very adjustable up / down...what if you remounted the mirror base to tip the arm Down? You might need to replace the wood thread stainless phillips head screws with maybe some threaded rivits in the body and stainless machine threaded screws? The rivits to make up for the "slotting" of the screw holes as you tip the base down.
Forgive me if you already reviewed this. I see from your pics that you had the mirror base off so maybe you already posted why this approach doesn't work.

BTW, how tall are you? Might be interesting to know what the range of adjustment is and what percent of the population the manufacturer designed their adjustment range for...
Of track, but I remember as a factory rep, meeting a woman who was many hundreds of lbs. and wondered why her seat frame "keeps breaking". She then said "don't you make these vehicles for "normal" people?" Statistically, she was off the chart. I had to dance around that to not insult her on what "normal" is.