Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2023, 11:06 AM   #1

Missing lugnuts? Or just covers?

So, in addition to the creaking/thumping in the front since rough roads….
I was washing down the underside and wheels etc to remove any mud etc. Noticed I was missing another lugnut (or cover?). I had noticed one missing before I left and now 2…I am assuming that is just holding the hubcap cover on and not the tire!?
2015 Newmar Baystar Sport
Thanks
cyndi
CyndiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2023, 11:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pictures please.
You will get much better answers.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #3

Found it! Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9378.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	392537  
Old 05-09-2023, 01:20 PM   #4

Yes, if you could post a picture or pictures you take with your phone so we can see for sure but I highly suspect it's the simulators.

In every 2015 Baystar I see in images online (example of images HERE), they all have "wheels simulators" which are essentially big hub caps that are used to dress-up and cover plain, painted steel wheels that are used to have the appearance of a more expensive forged aluminum wheel. (example image of wheel simulators)

eta: ooops, you posted while I was writing ...yes, those are simulators. You can disregard my post.

example of wheel simulators on a 2015 Baystar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheel lower baystar 2015.png
Views:	12
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	392538  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, wheel simulators.
There are only 2 nuts that have dimples on the sides and these are the ones that unscrew and hold the cap on. They are 180 degrees from each other.
There is a special "T" wrench to remove them in your tool kit.
Some tire shops don't know this and they twist off the ones that are staked to the cap if you're not watching them. Lost one of mine that way.
You can order the dimpled ones (with an actual not inside) and screw them onto the exposed stud. You may need a washer behind the nut.
You will need to find out what the thread is and the height of the cap so it matches the others.
On line is your best bet.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #6

Ok but I dont have any with dimples! The 2 that are gone are across from each other. The hubcap is loose and I tried to take it off by hand (so I dont lose it). I dont think anything is holding it….
Old 05-09-2023, 02:27 PM   #7

It appears that you still have the stud-extenders protruding? ...my eyesight is getting worse and worse.

Take a look at these two online videos and you can at least get an idea of what you may have and how you might deal with it even though they may not be exactly what is on your coach ...video 1 and video 2

I'm sure somebody will chime in and let you know exactly what and where to purchase a replacement bolt and cap. Again, as you suspected, the wheel is not going to come off because the simulator is unsecured. You may lose the simulator so until you get the bolt and cap, I might recommend that you take the simulator or simulators off so you won't have to replace the entire simulator.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:41 PM   #8

Ok ; Dicor stainless steel wheel simulators for ten lug wheels ( different than my eight lug ) I see small screws ( or rivets ) between every second lug nut cover .
Are they screws or rivets?

Unfortunately Dicor is out of the wheel trim business , so you can't even go to there web site for info.

EDIT: Are those 19.5" or 22.5" wheels ? can't read size from the photo .
Old 05-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #9

I'm reading back posts as we go ; if you have no covers with dimples , then probably someone put a socket on the covers thinking they were lug nuts and spun them loose , then the fell off as in the second video .

You say the wheel cover is not loose , then I'm pretty sure your covers are like the ones on the left of the first video and have to pried off from the outer edge.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ok ; Dicor stainless steel wheel simulators for ten lug wheels ( different than my eight lug ) I see small screws ( or rivets ) between every second lug nut cover .
Are they screws or rivets?

Unfortunately Dicor is out of the wheel trim business , so you can't even go to there web site for info.

EDIT: Are those 19.5" or 22.5" wheels ? can't read size from the photo .
19.5. Yeah I’m not sure what those are. I don’t think they come out. I do have the tool that you’re supposed to use for the one with the indention, but like I said, none of those have indention, they are just basically fused to the hubcap I think.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'm reading back posts as we go ; if you have no covers with dimples , then probably someone put a socket on the covers thinking they were lug nuts and spun them loose , then the fell off as in the second video .

You say the wheel cover is not loose , then I'm pretty sure your covers are like the ones on the left of the first video and have to pried off from the outer edge.
No, the hubcap is definitely loose and I didn’t notice that when I lost the first one but it wasn’t horrible. But now it is much looser and I think the ones that actually held it were the ones I lost. Maybe the tire people stripped them or something, not knowing because they didn’t have the tool to take them off.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
It appears that you still have the stud-extenders protruding? ...my eyesight is getting worse and worse.

Take a look at these two online videos and you can at least get an idea of what you may have and how you might deal with it even though they may not be exactly what is on your coach ...video 1 and video 2

I'm sure somebody will chime in and let you know exactly what and where to purchase a replacement bolt and cap. Again, as you suspected, the wheel is not going to come off because the simulator is unsecured. You may lose the simulator so until you get the bolt and cap, I might recommend that you take the simulator or simulators off so you won't have to replace the entire simulator.
Yes, there are definitely two extenders protruding, which I’m assuming were the actual Lugnuts that held the hubcap on
Old 05-09-2023, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

Thank you those videos were very helpful to understand how this works. I am thinking that may be the reason I couldn’t just pull off the hubcap is that I need to take that center part out. I just didn’t want to force anything. Will try that tomorrow. As long as I make sure, I don’t lose it entirely. I can wait till I get home to get the replacement nuts. Thank you so much I appreciate your help.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #14

Check the other side for retainers with a " notch " not an oval .

The oval ; picture one ; is the pull off cover .

The notch ; picture two ; is a complete retainer nut .
Sorry I thought I had pictures from another angle , that showed the insert and the notch is the method of " staking " the chrome cover to the threaded insert.

If you have the tool , remove one retainer , from the other side so you have a sample when your shopping for the replacements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0776.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	392560  
Attached Images

Tags
cover