Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
They even wrote a song about you: "Every breath you take"!

CO2 is a waste product of human cellular metabolism. Literally every breath you exhale has CO2 and the amount tells medical professionals how well you're breathing and exchanging oxygen in the lungs.

When your blood level of CO2 rises your body breathes faster to off-gas more CO2 and increase oxygen levels. The level of CO2 controls your breathing rate, not the level of oxygen.

This is why the low oxygen saturation levels seen in some COVID patients is so fascinating to me. The people are completely functional but the very high levels of CO2 should be driving their breathing distress though the roof. COVID must be messing with the blood CO2 receptors somehow but I've read very little on this.

Hey, maybe Mother Nature has COVID and that's why planetary levels of CO2 are rising.

Ray
What you are referring to sounds like Hypoxic Drive. Its common in COPD patients as well. Breathing reflex is driven by low o2 levels instead of elevated co2.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you think the US is a major polluter watch "Dicing With Death" series on Prime. The average age of the world's vehicles is over 20 years old and has never been overhauled meaning excessive emissions.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #31

Let's not worry too much about atmospheric CO2. It's required for photosynthesis and it is the basis of all life on earth. We could actually use a lot more of it as we are presently near the lower limit below which terrestrial life is unsustainable.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
They even wrote a song about you: "Every breath you take"!

CO2 is a waste product of human cellular metabolism. Literally every breath you exhale has CO2 and the amount tells medical professionals how well you're breathing and exchanging oxygen in the lungs.

When your blood level of CO2 rises your body breathes faster to off-gas more CO2 and increase oxygen levels. The level of CO2 controls your breathing rate, not the level of oxygen.

This is why the low oxygen saturation levels seen in some COVID patients is so fascinating to me. The people are completely functional but the very high levels of CO2 should be driving their breathing distress though the roof. COVID must be messing with the blood CO2 receptors somehow but I've read very little on this.

Hey, maybe Mother Nature has COVID and that's why planetary levels of CO2 are rising.

Ray
Ventilatory drive. A body at rest has lower drive. Thus the need for night-time oxygen in many COPD patients, like me. Or in sick people hovering in and out of consciousness.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing I've learned over the course of my 67 years on this rock is that politicians throw these ideas and wacky proposals out there in hopes some part of it will stick to the wall. The end result will be quite different from what is proposed. It is a negotiation starting point. It's how politics works.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:20 AM   #34
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Ventilatory drive. A body at rest has lower drive. Thus the need for night-time oxygen in many COPD patients, like me. Or in sick people hovering in and out of consciousness.
I love all the new things I learn on these forums.

Ray
Old 04-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I think you're forgetting about the weight of the oxygen that the carbon takes on during the combustion process to produce CO2.
I guess I am forgetting that, and I'm no scientist. Can't we look at the mass of Oxygen and call it a "good element" that was present naturally, and not count that portion as we try to get into these schemes of apportioning carbon credits and penalties?
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #36

1 volcano eruption spews more carbon into the atmosphere than most countries emit in 100 yrs.
Mikelud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:42 AM   #37

Volcanos are an important part of the carbon cycle. There has to be a way to get carbon back into the atmosphere otherwise photosynthesis will stop and terrestrial life on earth will end. Atmospheric CO2 levels have been steadily declining over the millennia, so much so that during the last ice age they almost dropped to below the minimum necessary to avoid an extinction event. Today's CO2 levels are still dangerously low. It is a good thing that we are releasing some carbon back into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelud View Post
1 volcano eruption spews more carbon into the atmosphere than most countries emit in 100 yrs.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:49 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
I am referring to the US government's new policy to aggressively reduce co2 emissions.

I haven't found a thread about this, but this is now our reality. I think our pre-def engines are the low hanging fruit of this new policy. Maybe the feds will offer us a cash for clunkers buyout to get these engines off the road.

At a minimum, they will prevent these old engines from using the interstate system.

I expect something to happen within 3 years.
And just how is the federal government going to do that and if they tried half the states, if not more, would instantly file legal briefings to prevent the federal over reach. The feds tried stupid stuff like this with water regulations which failed.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Me too, in fact researchers claim that the Earth's atmosphere is losing O2 at an ever increasing rate, so where and how can we get more O2? Plant life is the answer and the more CO2 the more plants.
So splain me how banning plastics and switching to paper helps that plant life equation?

If we only had a well thought out, comprehensive plan instead of a shot gun approach like banning straws and shopping bags.

Why hasn't govt stepped up, lead the way and migrated their fleets to EV instead of mandating that we must do it?
Has anyone seen a study that determined how much extra elec generation will be needed and where, when it will come from?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:42 AM   #40

Increasing the supply of electricity will come mainly from natural gas, but only if we allow fracking and construction of pipelines. Forget about windmills or solar. These are pipe dreams. Also forget about nuclear or hydroelectric. It is impossible to get a permit to build a nuclear reactor or a hydroelectric dam.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #41

Isn't petroleum refining somewhat like the meat packing industry? That is one raw material goes in & many different products come out?

If petroleum fuels are less in demand we still need petrochemicals so to me the idea of eliminating oil drilling is short slighted.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine