Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #15

I do understand your point. However, those plants are essential. The co2 from those plants will not be reduced by 50 pct in the next 8 years. I expect them to go after the soft targets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
I don't think diesel motorhomes are really on the radar. Not for air pollution/GHG anyways
You forgot the asterisk.

* Except in California

None of this can happen federally by edict. It's both the blessing and curse of a representative form of government that consensus is needed. Even if that consensus is just in selecting our individual representatives.

As you noted, it's a TANSTAAFL thing. Cut coal emissions to reduce certain pollutants by switching to natural gas. Increase CO2 by burning natural gas. Switch to electric vehicles but where will the electricity come from? Burning more natural gas? Nuclear? Not until that waste problem is figured out, I hope. Solar? How much pollution is created by the manufacture and disposal of solar panels? TANSTAAFL again.

Ohio decided to implement an annual $100 license plate surcharge on hybrid cars and an annual $200 license plate surcharge on electric cars. My hybrid got about 44 MPG, almost the same as my kid's 2006 Civic. I no longer own a hybrid because my driving is way down so high MPGs is no longer a real factor to me but it was costing me more, over two months of fill-ups, in license plate surcharges.

The real nonsense that needs stopped is this selling and buying of "carbon credits". When it's cheaper for a polluter to buy carbon credits than it is to literally clean up their act nothing will get cleaned up.

Ray
Old 04-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
I am not so sure CO2 is as big of a concern as made out to be. Plants love CO2 and in appreciation of it they give us more O2 (which is very important to human life). Don't get me wrong, there are pollutants everywhere, alongside many roads, in the trash dumps, in the air, oceans, and a lot of our freshwater supplies, that all of mankind should stop and clean up but CO2 isn't a poison, and if you believe the science (as I do in this case), back when the planet was flourishing with plants, trees, and dinosaurs the CO2 was 4~5 times what it is today.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #18

I enjoy being an active participant in the carbon cycle.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
I am referring to the US government's new policy to aggressively reduce co2 emissions.

I haven't found a thread about this, but this is now our reality. I think our pre-def engines are the low hanging fruit of this new policy. Maybe the feds will offer us a cash for clunkers buyout to get these engines off the road.

At a minimum, they will prevent these old engines from using the interstate system.

I expect something to happen within 3 years.
Diesel engines produce less CO2 than gasoline engines so if the intention is to get rid of CO2 (a preposterous concept) then we should be banning gasoline engines. Pre-DEF diesel engines do however produce more nitrous oxides. This helps to create smog, and in certain large cities that sit in a valley with little wind, like LA or Mexico City, this can be a problem. It is generally not a problem outside of these cities, and the nitrous oxides actually provide a useful fertilizer for greening of the earth.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Me too, in fact researchers claim that the Earth's atmosphere is losing O2 at an ever increasing rate, so where and how can we get more O2? Plant life is the answer and the more CO2 the more plants.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
How do you know that he has bad breath?

My kids think that they are getting an inheritance -
Randm Musing / RVM174
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The real nonsense that needs stopped is this selling and buying of "carbon credits". When it's cheaper for a polluter to buy carbon credits than it is to literally clean up their act nothing will get cleaned up.
You might find this interesting....

https: // insideevs.com/news/438345/tesla-428-million-carbon-credits-q2-2020/

https: // http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...it-suisse-says

https: // http://www.carscoops.com/2021/02/tes...ced-by-rivals/
Old 04-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #23

It had been a good day! Did you have to post this so soon after lunch?
Old 04-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
I do industrial smokestack air emissions testing for a living.

This week I went on a 700 mile trip. I used about 100 gallons of fuel, and using round figures, produced about 1000 pounds of CO2.

I can't count how many plants I've been to in the last five years that emit over 10 MILLION TONS of CO2 annually. One natural gas processing plant I was at earlier this month spit out 230 tons an hour from one stack. That wasn't a combustion process either, just CO2 stripped out of the inlet gas stream.

I don't think diesel motorhomes are really on the radar. Not for air pollution/GHG anyways
Your 700 mile journey calculations caught my eye. This is a legitimate question: How can a portion of the gaseous emissions (CO2) weigh more than the fuel itself? If this is Uncle Joe's math for all things green? If so, we are doomed for sure! That's pure magic if 700 pounds of diesel can produce 1000 pounds of CO2!
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
Your 700 mile journey calculations caught my eye. This is a legitimate question: How can a portion of the gaseous emissions (CO2) weigh more than the fuel itself? If this is Uncle Joe's math for all things green? If so, we are doomed for sure! That's pure magic if 700 pounds of diesel can produce 1000 pounds of CO2!
I think you're forgetting about the weight of the oxygen that the carbon takes on during the combustion process to produce CO2.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #26

Maybe that explains why we lose weight during the night.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray
Exactly! Willliam Shakespere play, Henery VI, part 2, act IV, scene 2 quote " The first thing we should do; lets kill all the lawyers". Of course this was not a literal statement it was a play. https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgel...h=2c24d16d3d98
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #28
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post

They even wrote a song about you: "Every breath you take"!

CO2 is a waste product of human cellular metabolism. Literally every breath you exhale has CO2 and the amount tells medical professionals how well you're breathing and exchanging oxygen in the lungs.

When your blood level of CO2 rises your body breathes faster to off-gas more CO2 and increase oxygen levels. The level of CO2 controls your breathing rate, not the level of oxygen.

This is why the low oxygen saturation levels seen in some COVID patients is so fascinating to me. The people are completely functional but the very high levels of CO2 should be driving their breathing distress though the roof. COVID must be messing with the blood CO2 receptors somehow but I've read very little on this.

Hey, maybe Mother Nature has COVID and that's why planetary levels of CO2 are rising.

Ray

Tags
diesel, engine