Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 03:51 PM   #1

[Mod Edit], co2, older Diesel engines

I am referring to the US government's new policy to aggressively reduce co2 emissions.

I haven't found a thread about this, but this is now our reality. I think our pre-def engines are the low hanging fruit of this new policy. Maybe the feds will offer us a cash for clunkers buyout to get these engines off the road.

At a minimum, they will prevent these old engines from using the interstate system.

I expect something to happen within 3 years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
DEF only reduces NOx emissions. It does nothing to reduce CO2, and in fact increases it a little bit.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #3

Mars' atmosphere is nearly 100% CO2 and everyone is beating a path to go there.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
CO2 is necessary for photosynthesis, what are the plants going todo? Bill Gates wants to introduce man made pollutants into the-atmosphere to promote global cooling. What ever happened to that old saying of DON'T MESS WITH MOTHER NATURE?
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

Didn't know one man's bad breath could have such a drastic effect on humanity.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #6

According to the bureau of transportation the average age of an over the road truck is about 17 years old. The government won't take them all off the road, that would put a lot of people out of business.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
I am referring to the US government's new policy to aggressively reduce co2 emissions.

I haven't found a thread about this, but this is now our reality. I think our pre-def engines are the low hanging fruit of this new policy. Maybe the feds will offer us a cash for clunkers buyout to get these engines off the road.

At a minimum, they will prevent these old engines from using the interstate system.

I expect something to happen within 3 years.
Why do you say this? Have you read a creditable article indicating this will happen?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #8

Where did you get your information. I think you have been drinking the current Admin. tea.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I feel this would have to be a voluntary or an incentive based program like with the EV auto industry. Where you would get money off the purchase of a new Unit through grants...or pay a carbon tax to insure the vehicle.There are just too many pre def diesel engines on the highways..these engines run 500,000 miles or more. Its a stretch to think the govt would fork out 10's of thousands of dollars to buy each person with an older diesel out of they're rig. One question would be, the cost recovery on the average DP , with regard to scrap metal, in the chassis frame and such, the labour cost to dismantle and recycle all of them, and subsequent waste.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #10

I would think market factors will move the older engines off the road.

Once big truck fleets see the benefit and get into electric then we will see them move into RVs displacing our beloved Diesels.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #11

Only when every destination is downhill from the last will EVs truly be practical.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #12

I am a co2 removal researcher. The president's stated policy , as of yesterday, is a significant reduction in co2 emissions in just 8.5 years.

I sense that my wife and I traveling around in a 23 ton motorhome just for recreation is an easy target. Naturally, They will ban RVs before they ban trucking.

I don't know of anything specific. If they are serious, they will have to be aggressive.

Thanks for the info about def.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I do industrial smokestack air emissions testing for a living.

This week I went on a 700 mile trip. I used about 100 gallons of fuel, and using round figures, produced about 1000 pounds of CO2.

I can't count how many plants I've been to in the last five years that emit over 10 MILLION TONS of CO2 annually. One natural gas processing plant I was at earlier this month spit out 230 tons an hour from one stack. That wasn't a combustion process either, just CO2 stripped out of the inlet gas stream.

I don't think diesel motorhomes are really on the radar. Not for air pollution/GHG anyways
Old 04-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS505 View Post
I do industrial smokestack air emissions testing for a living.

This week I went on a 700 mile trip. I used about 100 gallons of fuel, and using round figures, produced about 1000 pounds of CO2.

I can't count how many plants I've been to in the last five years that emit over 10 MILLION TONS of CO2 annually. One natural gas processing plant I was at earlier this month spit out 230 tons an hour from one stack. That wasn't a combustion process either, just CO2 stripped out of the inlet gas stream.

I don't think diesel motorhomes are really on the radar. Not for air pollution/GHG anyways
I agree, OMO the sky is NOT falling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine